Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2020, 01:47 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times

Advertisements

It lacks vegetation and trees and the way there are empty lots everywhere, it's like such a weird hodge podge and it looks honestly terrible. The houses are kind of cheap looking and there's no distinctive character to anything. And the lack of trees, etc... Makes the land look brown and hot....The empty lots everywhere and the randomness of houses just plopped down here and there and everywhere looks super ugly IMO. It's not pretty to look at. Just this strange looking dirt land with mostly ugly houses built all over the place. I don't see the appeal...
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2020, 05:10 AM

10,951 posts, read 3,689,039 times
Me too. I had a friend that lived there by a Golf Course many years ago and already then in order to get to his place you had to drive thru empty homes, yards not cared for and just not a nice Area in my books, it seems the yrs have not resolved that as per the OP.

Old 10-25-2020, 06:05 AM

88 posts, read 86,742 times
That's true of some parts of NW and NW Cape and most areas north of Pine island Rd but much of SE has lots of mature trees and SW being the most recently developed, is quite attractive.

Old 10-25-2020, 08:09 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times
When I first moved here years ago I compared Cape Coral to an Army Barracks. It just looked so barren of anything but a few palm trees. I always wondered why such a hot place didn't have more shade trees.

The SE and SW have definitely improved but I like a city with shade trees and sidewalks. There are parts of Cape Coral that are beautiful like down near Rumrunners, in the extreme SW corner. They keep the medians pretty with bushes, trees & flowers. The NW is a hodgepodge of nice and not so nice homes but eventually it will spruce up.

Old 10-25-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
The SE and SW have definitely improved but I like a city with shade trees and sidewalks. There are parts of Cape Coral that are beautiful like down near Rumrunners, in the extreme SW corner. They keep the medians pretty with bushes, trees & flowers. The NW is a hodgepodge of nice and not so nice homes but eventually it will spruce up.
That was my exact take in the early 90's....30 yrs have gone by and the same old place.

Old 10-25-2020, 09:15 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
It’s not very pretty. It wasn’t pretty back in 1976 when I moved here and it’s still not pretty today (on vacation with my kids). Oh, you can find some beautiful homes here and there, but it’s not a beautiful city at all.

It wasn’t supposed to be lie this... Cape Coral was supposed to be much smaller ans more of a resort community... not a full blown city. It’s not well laid out and it feel claustrophobic when driving. Look some some old videos about the history of Cape Coral... very interesting story.

Old 10-25-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huasho View Post
That was my exact take in the early 90's....30 yrs + a few more have gone by and the same old place.

Sorry, I meant the very early 80's

Old 10-25-2020, 11:17 AM

13 posts, read 21,141 times
I understand what some of you are saying as far as planned development. A City plan, especially regarding the downtown business area in proximity to the river, would have shown foresight. However, the City is still only 50 years old. We think Cape Coral is a very beautiful place with the Southeast and Southwest just about fully developed. Eventually, development will come to the entire City.

We first looked at the Cape in 2004 when a co-worker asked us to check out a house near Santa Barbara and Veterans. It was sparseley developed but the house was new and looked nice. Our friends retired, bought and moved to Cape Coral. The sparse development turned us off and we unfortunately never looked at the rest of Cape Coral. But we were used to Broward and Dade Counties and liked the busier established Cities along the Southeast Atlantic Side of Florida.

By accident, we found ourselves in Cape Coral in 2014, as we now approached retirement. We explored Cape Coral and other Cities and Towns along the Gulf Coast. We researched the area pretty thouroghly and eventually bought in Southwest Cape Coral. We adore our neighbors, our neighbohood and the City of Cape Coral but admit that we were definitely not ready to move in 2014 let alone in 2004. Over the years Cape Coral has changed and so have we. Cape Coral is not perfect for everyone and still has much growing and development in it's future but the City is vast and diverse. Developments, trees and parks, sidewalks and streets, sewers and City water will eventually come to the entire City.

Again, we feel that the Cape is a beautiful place with the nicest people and we look forward to moving down for good in the near future. It's our paradise. We hope you are all able to find your versions of Paradise too.

Last edited by Chi-Cape; 10-25-2020 at 11:43 AM..

Old 10-26-2020, 01:51 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Cape View Post
I understand what some of you are saying as far as planned development. A City plan, especially regarding the downtown business area in proximity to the river, would have shown foresight. However, the City is still only 50 years old. We think Cape Coral is a very beautiful place with the Southeast and Southwest just about fully developed. Eventually, development will come to the entire City.

We first looked at the Cape in 2004 when a co-worker asked us to check out a house near Santa Barbara and Veterans. It was sparseley developed but the house was new and looked nice. Our friends retired, bought and moved to Cape Coral. The sparse development turned us off and we unfortunately never looked at the rest of Cape Coral. But we were used to Broward and Dade Counties and liked the busier established Cities along the Southeast Atlantic Side of Florida.

By accident, we found ourselves in Cape Coral in 2014, as we now approached retirement. We explored Cape Coral and other Cities and Towns along the Gulf Coast. We researched the area pretty thouroghly and eventually bought in Southwest Cape Coral. We adore our neighbors, our neighbohood and the City of Cape Coral but admit that we were definitely not ready to move in 2014 let alone in 2004. Over the years Cape Coral has changed and so have we. Cape Coral is not perfect for everyone and still has much growing and development in it's future but the City is vast and diverse. Developments, trees and parks, sidewalks and streets, sewers and City water will eventually come to the entire City.

Again, we feel that the Cape is a beautiful place with the nicest people and we look forward to moving down for good in the near future. It's our paradise. We hope you are all able to find your versions of Paradise too.
Lol Come back in a few years and give us an update. ...

We did find our paradise on a Caribbean island... want to talk about beautiful!

Old 10-27-2020, 08:51 AM

10 posts, read 12,728 times
I think the Bush family still has a house there, and I think Bret Hume as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area