Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2021, 10:34 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,093,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRC2020 View Post
I did research the flooding. In looking at contemporaneous news reports (YouTube) a lot of the N/W flooding was fresh water from Yucca Pens across Burnt Store Road, north of Pine Island road (fresh water as well), Diplomat Parkway and Skyline BLVD - all related to limited outflow, and a lot of rain, into the freshwater canal system.

Did that translate into higher saltwater canal levels up in the N/W area? I see where some flooding occurred in the S/W area due to a blocked drain pipe. I also know excessive rain will cause seawall failure on the older designed seawall due to lack of weep drains. But that's a different issue.

But in the general subject of flooding, I have looked at the elevation certificates of the newer builds compared to some of the older ones in the same area - and I have seen the differences in some flood insurance costs vis a vis elevation certificates from reading posts on the Charlotte CTY board - hard to believe 8" makes that much of a difference.

Definitely going to put an insurance contingency in any offer and get an estimate right away...
I had owned in cape coral since 2008. I had met an older woman that was one of the original houses off the gator slough (over 30 years ago) I asked if the canal water has ever gone over the seawall and her answer was never. The highest it has ever been was up to her cantilever patio.
My next door neighbor that had lived there for 20+ years south of embers said the exact same thing. There was one time that the water came up enough to raise boats off their boat lifts if they didn't have them very high up , and the owners didn't tie their boats to the lifts so some floated right off and down the canal.
I asked a lady that owned a place on a canal in saint james city and asked same thing and she had said water has never come up to where the houses are (some of which are built in the 70's) she's been there for 31 years.
obviously anything can happen in the future , from what I have seen is most flooding is street flooding in poorly drained areas. Sometimes stormwater drains get clogged with palm tree fronds that come down during storms. So it can flood anywhere that it rains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2021, 07:17 AM

65 posts, read 119,401 times
Default That Matches My Research...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
I had owned in cape coral since 2008. I had met an older woman that was one of the original houses off the gator slough (over 30 years ago) I asked if the canal water has ever gone over the seawall and her answer was never. The highest it has ever been was up to her cantilever patio.
My next door neighbor that had lived there for 20+ years south of embers said the exact same thing. There was one time that the water came up enough to raise boats off their boat lifts if they didn't have them very high up , and the owners didn't tie their boats to the lifts so some floated right off and down the canal.
I asked a lady that owned a place on a canal in saint james city and asked same thing and she had said water has never come up to where the houses are (some of which are built in the 70's) she's been there for 31 years.
obviously anything can happen in the future , from what I have seen is most flooding is street flooding in poorly drained areas. Sometimes stormwater drains get clogged with palm tree fronds that come down during storms. So it can flood anywhere that it rains.
That pretty much matches my research on various boards, youtube and websites. Poor drainage, after all Cape Coral is pretty FLAT, from rains seems to be the major source of flooding. Even on roads next to the salt water canal system, drains can be blocked and low spots filled with water during major rain events.

Now as far as salt water flooding, tidal surges during hurricanes, sea level rises, etc., like in California, its not a matter of if, its a matter of when. Especially when human lifetimes are compared to geological time spans.

I always get a kick out of the ubiquitous 'never seen weather like this before' anecdote!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area