Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2020, 09:57 AM

65 posts, read 119,297 times

Advertisements

In researching the 'value' of houses with paid and connected assessments, I looked at the Cape Coral GIS site and starting looking at properties at the leading edge of the installations. It looks like 6 total assessments (3 capital and 3 connection) for sewer, drinking water and irrigation water. Most of the houses I looked at, North of Embers Parkway, west of Burnt Store Road N, have assessments of around $17k.

Is that about the right number for estimating the assessment 'value' of a house in which assessments have been paid?

In other words, if I buy a property that hasn't been serviced yet, I can expect to pay around $17k in assessments in the future. (I know it can change, but I need to assign a 'value' to paid assessments when looking at total price to purchase....)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2020, 01:20 PM

209 posts, read 502,863 times
That is correct. Around $17,000 for a single 1/4 acre then around $30,000 for a double lot once it gets hit. We looked hard the in the cape and the assessments turned us away. We stayed on Fort Myers side and landed with property taxes under $1300 a year with no assessments.

Old 12-09-2020, 08:32 AM

Default Heck of a difference!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadof2divas View Post
That is correct. Around $17,000 for a single 1/4 acre then around $30,000 for a double lot once it gets hit. We looked hard the in the cape and the assessments turned us away. We stayed on Fort Myers side and landed with property taxes under $1300 a year with no assessments.
Thanks!

That's a BIG difference!

Old 12-12-2020, 07:09 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,091,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRC2020 View Post
In researching the 'value' of houses with paid and connected assessments, I looked at the Cape Coral GIS site and starting looking at properties at the leading edge of the installations. It looks like 6 total assessments (3 capital and 3 connection) for sewer, drinking water and irrigation water. Most of the houses I looked at, North of Embers Parkway, west of Burnt Store Road N, have assessments of around $17k.

Is that about the right number for estimating the assessment 'value' of a house in which assessments have been paid?

In other words, if I buy a property that hasn't been serviced yet, I can expect to pay around $17k in assessments in the future. (I know it can change, but I need to assign a 'value' to paid assessments when looking at total price to purchase....)
I am in the process of building a house in another state. It is going to cost about 8k for a well and probably 10k for a septic system. So I never got what the big deal was about paying 17k for city water and sewer. If one has it already and assessments paid it should be worth 17k more. What I was seeing more often is lots without the assesments were selling at a discount much greater than 17k

Old 12-15-2020, 03:51 PM

Default Assigning Value of Assessments...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
I am in the process of building a house in another state. It is going to cost about 8k for a well and probably 10k for a septic system. So I never got what the big deal was about paying 17k for city water and sewer. If one has it already and assessments paid it should be worth 17k more. What I was seeing more often is lots without the assesments were selling at a discount much greater than 17k
In comparing houses, e.g., N/W Cape Coral with S/W Cape Coral, I noticed most properties in the N/W have NOT paid assessments and are still on well and septic. But most properties in the S/W are on central water, irrigation and sewer. In my comprehensive, voluminous and completely OCD spreadsheet, I had to assign a 'value' to properties with paid and connected assessments. Likewise, Turnkey houses are assigned a value for the 'furniture' as are properties with other things I want, like solar heating, outdoor kitchens, hot tubs, etc.

Its just a way for me to compare apples to pears instead of apples to kumquats...

Old 01-01-2021, 11:54 AM

207 posts, read 422,549 times
Default Benefits of a Well & Septic Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRC2020 View Post
In comparing houses, e.g., N/W Cape Coral with S/W Cape Coral, I noticed most properties in the N/W have NOT paid assessments and are still on well and septic. But most properties in the S/W are on central water, irrigation and sewer. In my comprehensive, voluminous and completely OCD spreadsheet, I had to assign a 'value' to properties with paid and connected assessments. Likewise, Turnkey houses are assigned a value for the 'furniture' as are properties with other things I want, like solar heating, outdoor kitchens, hot tubs, etc.

Its just a way for me to compare apples to pears instead of apples to kumquats...
Sorry to poke holes in your valuation theory, but are you also taking into account that homes that yet to be assessed are saving potentially hundreds of dollars a month by not having to pay a water/sewer bill each month? Multiple those saved expenses over several years and that amounts to quite a bit of money, especially in the areas where city water & sewer are potentially a decade away.

The reason you are seeing a lack of paid assessments in the NW Cape is due to the fact that these services are years off for many areas. Check out https://www.capecoral.net/uep/future_areas.php and there is no longer an estimate as to when many of these areas in NW Cape will get hooked up as they are just now in North 1 & 2. I'm in UEP North 7. Let's say a water/sewer bill would average $200/mo. That's $2400/yr. Over the decade it might take for water/sewer to reach me a decade from now, that's $24,000 I've saved by not having that additional bill each month so plenty of time to save up for an assessment should it eventually come.

Old 01-01-2021, 12:29 PM

Default Actually I am...sort of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SellingNWCape View Post
Sorry to poke holes in your valuation theory, but are you also taking into account that homes that yet to be assessed are saving potentially hundreds of dollars a month by not having to pay a water/sewer bill each month? Multiple those saved expenses over several years and that amounts to quite a bit of money, especially in the areas where city water & sewer are potentially a decade away.

The reason you are seeing a lack of paid assessments in the NW Cape is due to the fact that these services are years off for many areas. Check out https://www.capecoral.net/uep/future_areas.php and there is no longer an estimate as to when many of these areas in NW Cape will get hooked up as they are just now in North 1 & 2. I'm in UEP North 7. Let's say a water/sewer bill would average $200/mo. That's $2400/yr. Over the decade it might take for water/sewer to reach me a decade from now, that's $24,000 I've saved by not having that additional bill each month so plenty of time to save up for an assessment should it eventually come.
Actually I am taking into account monthly costs, but its in a different spreadsheet! My 'cost of living' spreadsheet, which BTW, compares monthly utility bills across all options, including simply staying were I am at...it also includes property taxes, health insurance, income taxes, etc. It is also included in my 'build from scratch' spreadsheet in which I am looking at starting with bare land and building exactly what I want. Building on a lot in N3 requires well and sewer, only to be replaced in a couple of years by the utilities. So that kind of expenses in the near term have to go into the home buying equation.

But I needed a way to 'value' capital improvements in comparing N/W vs S/W homes. (Wells and septics go into the capital expenses of a bare lot in the N3-7 lots.) Similar to comparing homes with and without a boat lift, with or without an outdoor kitchen, etc.

In addition, there is a dearth of houses in N4-7 (Gulf Access - years away from hookup) and more availability in the S/W. In fact some houses up to N2 still have unpaid assessments even though they have hooked up. (Hook up expenses are in that catch all MISC category!) Although these are mostly the vacation VRBO type homes people are starting to unload.

I know there are some additional hidden expenses for houses on well and septic. R/O system replacement and maintenance, pumping and inspections - things like that - but I'm not addressing them except in the ubiquitous monthly cost 'home repair' category along with pool, paint, carpet, appliances and A/C type issues.

So far it has worked out well when comparing my top line budget limitations to what is available at specific property locations. As to whether or not it will make a difference in negotiations will be determined when I get that far!

Old 01-01-2021, 12:51 PM

That's good. Yeah, some people elected to pay the assessments outright, usually if they had the cash at hand or those who viewed it as a selling point, especially a few years back when it was more of a buyer's market. Others just elect to tack it onto their annual tax bill.

Another thing you will want to keep in mind with regard to potential flooding issues is the elevation of the home. I remember a few years back when there was a lot of flooding west of Burnt Store Rd that made the news when we got heavy rain dumped for a few days straight. That's why most houses built 2000s have a much higher elevation than the older homes.

Old 01-01-2021, 01:16 PM

Default Hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SellingNWCape View Post
That's good. Yeah, some people elected to pay the assessments outright, usually if they had the cash at hand or those who viewed it as a selling point, especially a few years back when it was more of a buyer's market. Others just elect to tack it onto their annual tax bill.

Another thing you will want to keep in mind with regard to potential flooding issues is the elevation of the home. I remember a few years back when there was a lot of flooding west of Burnt Store Rd that made the news when we got heavy rain dumped for a few days straight. That's why most houses built 2000s have a much higher elevation than the older homes.
I did research the flooding. In looking at contemporaneous news reports (YouTube) a lot of the N/W flooding was fresh water from Yucca Pens across Burnt Store Road, north of Pine Island road (fresh water as well), Diplomat Parkway and Skyline BLVD - all related to limited outflow, and a lot of rain, into the freshwater canal system.

Did that translate into higher saltwater canal levels up in the N/W area? I see where some flooding occurred in the S/W area due to a blocked drain pipe. I also know excessive rain will cause seawall failure on the older designed seawall due to lack of weep drains. But that's a different issue.

But in the general subject of flooding, I have looked at the elevation certificates of the newer builds compared to some of the older ones in the same area - and I have seen the differences in some flood insurance costs vis a vis elevation certificates from reading posts on the Charlotte CTY board - hard to believe 8" makes that much of a difference.

Definitely going to put an insurance contingency in any offer and get an estimate right away...

Old 01-01-2021, 03:06 PM

I don't know that there's been a canal-related flooding, at least not in the past several years we've been here. The flooding here is mainly from "hundred year rain" event issues like when the extended play outer bands of Harvey dumped rain on us for days while it hit Texas. Irma, on the other hand, no flooding. We are highly elevated and when Harvey came passing by the rainwater definitely went up and over the lower part of our driveway. If we would have been closer to the road and at or just below road elevation, we probably would have taken on some water like the other people in the news story did. It's always better to be the higher elevated house on the block if you have to choose between the higher and lower elevated homes next door to each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area