Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2020, 10:03 AM

65 posts, read 119,052 times

Advertisements

I know the western side of cape coral is mainly saltwater in the canals with Gulf access - those that access via Matlacha.

But in the south along the river, like via Tarpon point, is this mainly salt, brackish or fresh?

Likewise, in the east above the Cape Coral Bridge and below the Midpoint bridge, is that salt, brackish or fresh water?

And finally those properties north of the Midpoint bridge and Four Mile that access the river, are those mainly fresh, salt or brackish?

Curious because of the type of fishing available close to the properties in question. I prefer saltwater...

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2020, 03:39 PM

8 posts, read 11,317 times
Look on Google Earth and follow the canals, freshwater ones would not have a path to the sea. Some crossings may take some research to confirm. First link below might be a good start:

https://www.capecoral.net/docs/Canals2.pdf

https://www.capecoral.net/i_want_to1...maps/index.php

https://www.capecoral.net/

btw- Might think twice about fishing the canals, check local ordinances. Would hesitate eating a fish caught in those canals... is there a canal water quality report somewhere? I believe optimum canal depth for tidal flushing is about 6 feet (assuming geometry of the canal system makes tidal cleansing possible). Sorry to belabor the obvious, but everything comes back to the original goal of the developers. Not picking on Cape Coral, you'll see this all over the state.

Last edited by Greg6796; 12-09-2020 at 03:51 PM..

Old 12-09-2020, 04:23 PM

65 posts, read 119,052 times
Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg6796 View Post
Look on Google Earth and follow the canals, freshwater ones would not have a path to the sea. Some crossings may take some research to confirm. First link below might be a good start:

https://www.capecoral.net/docs/Canals2.pdf

https://www.capecoral.net/i_want_to1...maps/index.php

https://www.capecoral.net/

btw- Might think twice about fishing the canals, check local ordinances. Would hesitate eating a fish caught in those canals... is there a canal water quality report somewhere? I believe optimum canal depth for tidal flushing is about 6 feet (assuming geometry of the canal system makes tidal cleansing possible). Sorry to belabor the obvious, but everything comes back to the original goal of the developers. Not picking on Cape Coral, you'll see this all over the state.
I am aware of the fresh vs. salt water canals and the 'flushing equation' for those very long and very narrow saltwater canals up in the center of Cape Coral. What I was curious about is how far up the river salt penetrates to the point that salt water vs freshwater fishing changes. What I eventually found was salinity data on the Caloosahatchee River and maps via various testing stations from Sanibel to the I75 Bridge. (I also found a fishing report website that I don't believe - like catching large mouth bass off tarpon point.) But at least it gave me an idea as to how far up the river salt water species can travel for fishing enjoyment.

It allowed me to expand my house search into S/E Cape Coral - or at least on the larger canal systems closer to the river. Although the miserable mile is still in the equation, its either that or the Chiquita Lock or a long idle out through Matlacha.

Thanks Again!

Old 12-12-2020, 07:04 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,089,107 times
pretty much all the canals are brackish. Even Matlacha Pass is Brackish. You won't get Salt water untill you get very close to the passes. I use to go out of the NW spreader very often. from about Embers pkwy it is about 20 mins of idle time. I use to joke that I would sometimes get on my boat and travel an hour and a half out to an artificial reef and yet catch more fish right from my dock. year round the canals are loaded with Sheepshead, mangrove snapper, Jack Crevalle, at times big Black drum and Juvi tarpon but yes catfish as well. I always prefered the Matlacha Pass trip along the mangroves, the idle time never bothered me as the canals were always full of Manatees, Jumping Mullet and birds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area