Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2022, 06:20 AM

67 posts, read 61,912 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, here in Cape Coral visiting family and can’t get over how much bottled water they go thru. Does anyone here have a water filtration and softener system they use for the tap that they drink from? A quick insight to your set up, how satisfied you are with the water quality and brands is what I’m looking for.

Thanks in advance

~Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2022, 11:38 AM

9,136 posts, read 6,191,523 times
I drink bottled water because it's convenient, not because there is anything wrong with my water. I just like the convenience of the 0.5-liter bottles. If I didn't have the bottles, I probably wouldn't drink as much water as I do. Which would be unhealthy.

When I bought the house, I decided not to install a filtration or softening system.

Old 11-24-2022, 02:59 PM

65 posts, read 119,401 times
Default My Tale...

In order to shorten this story, this is what I did. Being from Colorado, the city water in Cape Coral is almost undrinkable. In the rental property we used, I bought a Zero water filter from Walmart and kept it in the fridge for drinking water. I couldn't even use the city water to take vitamins. It tasted nasty and it was warm to boot. The Zero water filter solved all of those problems. It is a pain, but a cheap solution, and the water tasted clean, cold and great. (Even my dog didn't want to drink the city water!)

But I also noticed a scale/build-up from the city water on the all the fixtures as well. And in trying to scrub them off, only CLR would put a dent in them.

So in the new build, on city water, I wanted a whole house solution. I wanted it drinkable, but I also wanted to get rid of the scale and build-up from city water and make the shower glass a bit more cleanable. After much study I went with Aqua Systems dual tank carbon filter and water CONDITIONER tank. (Not a water softener!) Do your research on what a water conditioner vs a water softener is.

I am very happy with this solution. It does not have the discharge a softener does and it does make a huge difference. Taste is quite a bit more palatable due to the carbon filtering and the scale/build-up is easing, not gone completely, but easing on the sinks and faucets. Much easier to clean the glass as well.

But it is a 'conditioner' not a softener. So it does not remove the hardness, it changes their molecular structure. Softeners remove hardness.

So cheap solution = zero water filter in the fridge.

Whole house = Aqua Systems. And the company was really great to work with as well.

Old 11-24-2022, 03:13 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,484,106 times
I had a water softener installed outside my house,that was before we get soft water from Houston.
I used potassium chloride instead of sodium,then I found myself sleepy during the day,potassium lowered my blood pressure,I no longer used it

Old 12-06-2022, 06:18 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
I have an osmosis tank In My Sink cabinet that I use for cooking. It has a small faucet next to my kitchen faucet. It holds a few gallons and has 4 filters . I also drink bottled water and I put filters in my refrigerator which I can also get cold water and ice.

Old 02-18-2023, 04:26 AM

65 posts, read 119,401 times
Default Follow-Up Water Filtration System

As I previously posted, I went with an Aqua Systems dual tank carbon filter and water CONDITIONER tank solution to city water.

It does make a difference. In every aspect. The city water went from undrinkable to just eehh. I can drink it to take pills, but have to have the zero water filtered water to really drink, or bottled water. Even with 'good' quality water filters on the fridge, the city water is barely palatable. Without any filtering its gaggy.

But the scaling, deposits, water spots, etc. have definitely changed. They aren't as prevalent and they wipe off easily, not requiring scrubbing with CLR.

You can buy a water softener system that actually removes everything. Thousands more, but also has discharge issues when regenerating and uses consumables like salt.

For me, this is a happy compromise. Much cheaper solution and works fine. Will never have Colorado quality water out of the tap, but then that's one of the prices for living here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
View detailed profiles of: