Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 12:42 PM

5,077 posts, read 14,650,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawr View Post
Well, entering a search within a certain price range, also minimum 2 acres, Sarasota came up ZERO results, where as Naples has quite a few.
Is this for me? I just go onto Realtor.com and plug in a bunch of criterion and go with the results and everything that I want has all been in Naples and usually within the confines of GGE. I'm going to be leaving my horses here in PA IF we move (big IF) and will just look to lease when down there. It would be too much of a drastic change for them to come from seasons to the weather in FL. If this wasn't meant for me, then sorry for rambling LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 01:50 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,953,846 times
Please keep in mind that the list prices on homes don't mean a thing these days. I've been looking at homes and it's a whole different ball game in this economy. You might see 100 homes listed for under $80,000 for example, but if they're short sales or bank owned property, they're just looking for offers. It doesn't mean your offer will be accepted. I've wasted a lot of time looking at all the "deals" around here. North Port is even worse. It's all a bunch of bull and I'm sick of the games. I'm really frustrated, since I drove a long way and spent hours looking at homes, only to find out the advertised price isn't the real price or even close. One real estate agent said to me "We need offers. This is a starting point." Another agent told me the home she listed has a tenant in it (not in the ad) so I can't move in until September and added "Well, it will take at least 6 months before you get an answer from the bank." I had to laugh (what else can you do?) when I looked at a property described as being "on a freshwater canal" and there was a ditch in the backyard. It didn't even have any water in it!

Old 03-13-2009, 01:57 PM

136 posts, read 418,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Is there a particular reason why you have chosen Naples? I think of all of the places in Florida, especially on the West Coast, for someone seeking an animal/ horse friendly environment, that Naples would have not been at the top of your list. Have you researched Sarasota?
Sorry I wasnt using the quote tool correctly. See above.
Thats a good idea with the horses. That is a drastic change.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:59 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,953,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
Is this for me? I just go onto Realtor.com and plug in a bunch of criterion and go with the results and everything that I want has all been in Naples and usually within the confines of GGE. I'm going to be leaving my horses here in PA IF we move (big IF) and will just look to lease when down there. It would be too much of a drastic change for them to come from seasons to the weather in FL. If this wasn't meant for me, then sorry for rambling LOL

If you want to checkout homes in Naples, try the Naples Board of Realtors site which is [URL="http://www.naplesarea.com"]Naples Area Board of Realtors - Naples Realtor in Florida[/URL]

Zillow and Trulia are also very helpful tools. You can often see an aerial view of the area and get important public information. To make sure it was accurate, I went to Zillow and entered the home I grew up in that my Dad sold several years ago. Not only did it have the exact price he sold it for and the date, it listed the square footage on record. Then I entered my current address and it was so weird looking at my car in the driveway. (think that was on Google maps, not sure.) Ain't technology great?

I love animals too, but I know little about horses. Just want to add that Marion County calls itself the horse capital of the world, so many people must have horses there! (I guess?) That's much further north.

Last edited by justNancy; 03-13-2009 at 02:30 PM..

Old 03-14-2009, 08:50 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,097,171 times
keep in mind the median selling price of a house in cape coral was 94k which means half sold for more and half sold for less. search through the description of properties and look for the ones that say "bank approved price" that means some other buyer made an offer (probably too low) and the bank came back with a counter, if this is the case the realtor already had a pathway to a decision maker and the time frame should be much quicker. there are 4 homes for every one buyer right now. so the foreclosures get scooped up with in days . most buyers don't want to waste their time with shortsales so the patient ones will have less competition. Review my earlier post on short sales and it may give you that little edge when deciding which short sale to hopefully not be wasting your time on.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:45 AM

5,014 posts, read 10,708,041 times
Too bad. I had always been under the impression that Naples was more expensive than Sarasota. But then, Sarasota has gone through alot of development in the past few years.
I lived there a few years back when the development in the western and outerlying areas was just beginning; land was still relatively inexpensive, and there was definitely a more agricultural and undeveloped feel in those areas (but with a great downtown with restaurants, museums, shops and the beach.) If you can get two acres in Naples for a good price, I say go for it (and good luck!)

Old 03-18-2009, 11:23 AM

320 posts, read 1,130,796 times
My g/f has been in Fort Myers for 3 days so far and LOVES it. No complaints so far.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:28 AM

1,024 posts, read 3,345,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Wing View Post
My g/f has been in Fort Myers for 3 days so far and LOVES it. No complaints so far.
So you found a place? We sold our house last week.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:43 AM

320 posts, read 1,130,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewLew View Post
So you found a place? We sold our house last week.
We have a 6 month lease on an apartment. We want to get to know the area a little bit better before we buy a house.

Congrats on the sale.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:49 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,650,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Wing View Post
We have a 6 month lease on an apartment. We want to get to know the area a little bit better before we buy a house.

Congrats on the sale.

If we end up coming down that's what we plan on doing; renting a property for 3 - 6 mths and then buying a house in Naples. Did you have any problem finding a short term lease? I would imagine that these days people are glad just to have income for their rental properties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area