Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 07:19 AM

164 posts, read 383,280 times

Advertisements

I posted this in another area but firgured people here would be interested??

O.K. We are just about at the end of our 1st year living in FL. & wow that went fast. Here is a first year newbies view of living in SWFL :

I still love to look at the Palm Trees. The sunsets here are beautiful & the sky looks amazing even after a storm.

The winter weather is perfect. The summer was HOT, but a much better trade off than the freezing cold winters of Michigan. When I first arrived I complained about all the rain we were getting every afternoon between 4-5 PM like clock work. Locals said that "oh we need it" like they were glad to see it.? Now I understand their attitude about it.....Very dry winter with fires etc.

As I posted in another thread, at home & in the neighborhood I have seen: A Scarlet Snake, a Black Racer snake, a bobcat, a pig, a cow, many vultures, armadillo, so many different birds, very weird bugs, dolphins, manatee, alligator,rabbits,......wow Wild Kingdom!

The area seems to be a real mix of races, nationalities, & ages. I did see the effect of "snowbirds" , parking lots filled up even at 2 in the afternoon on a Tue. EVERYWHERE. I have never seen so many seniors in one area.

Except for the little spurts of cold nights, the weather here is very predictable which is a nice change for me. In MI. we had a saying, "if you didn't like the weather, just wait a few minutes & it will change"

I came from an economy in MI. that had been suffering for along long time. The economy here is also terrible, but so goes the country. I ran ads for a couple of positions I had available in my business & I swear I received hundreds of applications. I would rather struggle to build my business back up in a warm climate than a cold one though.

I hope to meet some of you in my second year here, grow my company & enjoy the Gulf even more ( maybe take up Kayaking )

This area is very different than MI. I hope this isnt an overstatement but it seems to be slower & more simple here. People have more of a slow pace? Even commuting, 75 & 41 get you almost everywhere. In Mi. we had roads & highways running everywhere ( I 275, I 96, 696, M59, M14, so on so on ) & that was just from Howell to Livonia...anyway

Sorry such a long thread, but I figured the veterans here would get a kick out of a newbies first year review.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 03:25 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,644,236 times
That was a great post. I know I enjoyed reading it! I am originally from FL, lived in PA now several years and due to fiances possible job change are looking at moving back down. He previously lived in SC and at one time lived in AL, so he and I are more than aware of "hot" when it comes to a hot summer. I laugh every time someone here in PA says it's hot in the summer, my response is always the same, "honey, you don't know hot" LOL
Glad you are enjoying living in FL. I'm curious, did you buy or are you renting? Thanks again! BTW, I've been communicating with a few others who may also be moving down to that area and I'd also love to meet up with everyone once we're all settled!

Old 03-29-2009, 08:57 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,758,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECBS View Post
I posted this in another area but firgured people here would be interested??

I hope to meet some of you in my second year here, grow my company & enjoy the Gulf even more ( maybe take up Kayaking )

Sorry such a long thread, but I figured the veterans here would get a kick out of a newbies first year review.
Hi ECBS! Thank you for sharing your viewpoint ~ I was very interested to read it. What company did you start? Whatever it is, best of luck to you with it. Kayaking (canoeing for me) is fun! You'll enjoy that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
BTW, I've been communicating with a few others who may also be moving down to that area and I'd also love to meet up with everyone once we're all settled!
YES! A City Data Florida thread meet-up! On the beach. With wine.

Andrea, where in Alabama did your husband live? I lived in Huntsville during first grade.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:57 AM

164 posts, read 383,280 times
Rented. The plan will have us renting for couple more years. We have been in business in MI. for 13 years now & started the same cleaning & floor care business here in FL.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:18 PM

40 posts, read 57,931 times
What a breath of fresh air !! So nice to hear about someone doing well after the big move. Good for you ! Im looking to do that same as you in the near future, and leave the 120 inches of snow we get in NY. haha It gives some of us hope that it is still possible to move down there and make it even in this poor economic climate.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:52 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Great post! It does give people that are thinking of making the move a more positive note.

How did you like driving the the down pours when you first came down?

Old 03-30-2009, 07:07 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,644,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adream View Post
Hi ECBS! Thank you for sharing your viewpoint ~ I was very interested to read it. What company did you start? Whatever it is, best of luck to you with it. Kayaking (canoeing for me) is fun! You'll enjoy that.
YES! A City Data Florida thread meet-up! On the beach. With wine.

Andrea, where in Alabama did your husband live? I lived in Huntsville during first grade.
OMG! the similarities do not end!! LOL I believe he did his internship just outside of Mobile, AL He said it was hot, wet and hot LOL but yeah, for that area, it's brutal in the summertime.

I'll bring the wine!!

Old 03-30-2009, 07:18 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,789,284 times
ECBS-

Congrats on your success story.

Did you have jobs and/or housing lined up before you moved? Or did you just pack the car and start driving?

Did you rent first?

Did you come with some cash?

I'm just trying to get the elements of your success identified.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:57 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,758,007 times
Quote:
OMG! the similarities do not end!! LOL I believe he did his internship just outside of Mobile, AL He said it was hot, wet and hot LOL but yeah, for that area, it's brutal in the summertime.
Got one more for ya ~ I have a 19 year old DS too. (You mentioned that in another post, as I recall.)
Quote:
I'll bring the wine!!
What color Andrea? I'll bring the red, with some cheese and french bread. ECBS, you're in charge of the chips & dip. (This could end up being a party on the beach. )

Old 03-30-2009, 03:32 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
Congrats!

Shows you did a great job in picking the right town for you and your family.

Save some sun for us!

Try scuba diving, its is awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area