Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 06:50 AM

5 posts, read 24,066 times

Advertisements

Hello!

We are looking at home in Del Tura, and would like to hear from someone already living there. What is your opinion of the community, the area?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 12:42 PM

32 posts, read 88,733 times
Del Tura seems like a nice enough place. I drive down the road that goes beside of it every day. It seems like Del Tura is filled with modular homes or something. It looks very safe and the yards are very well kept. There is mature landscaping. I'd like to be there if we were retired. I doubt those homes are as undervalued as many in the immediate area seem to be.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:02 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,925,638 times
Well, since you asked to hear from residents only, I hesitate to make any comments except to say there's a reason so many homes in that immediate area for sale. People can't give them away. However, it's a very nice mobile home park with a lot of amenities if you're willing to pay the high monthly fee.

I hope I don't sound too negative. FYI, I lived in a mobile home for years in NH and looked at several mobile & manufactured homes in Florida parks, including Del Tura. Some of them are very lovely. I was only saying that, unless you plan to stay there forever or you're willing to take a loss, you might have a very difficult time selling it, even in a good market.

Last edited by justNancy; 09-23-2009 at 11:32 PM.. Reason: lost my City-Data connection

Old 09-24-2009, 05:36 AM

5 posts, read 24,066 times
Thank you for your info. We are not looking to resell, but to stay. But I am curious why you both mention the "immediate" area? What is wrong with the immediate area, is it run down, too expensive, crime ridden? Why, in your opinion, can't the sellers, "give them away"?

Old 09-24-2009, 02:02 PM

Just my personal opinion, but North Fort Myers is not my favorite spot. You should drive around the area to make your own decision.

Have you checked out the monthly lot rents? I once posted about Del Tura, but can't remember what I was quoted for one particular home. I think it was $650. That's $7,800 a year you could be investing in a home and land that you'll eventually own. Again, YMMV but it's something to think about. It's a well managed community from what I've heard.

I don't want to sound too negative, but you asked why I said people are practically giving some of the mobile & manufactured homes away. This was also the case when I looked at some of the country club communities on the same road years ago (like Pine Lakes, Lake Fairways) so it's nothing new. I was only in my 40s but they were willing to make an exception. I honestly don't remember the details. There were also some communities that had sections where you owned the land.

Many people living in over 55 communities depend on their Soc Sec checks to pay their bills. Others work part-time since their Soc Sec checks won't cover all of their expenses. If the cost of living increases, then what do you do? You cut back on expenses, right? But what if you get sick and your 20% copay eats away at your savings? If you have a supplement that will cover it, but supplements have also increased in price and the cost of health care has skyrocketed. This is just one reason. So a lot depends on your personal financial situation. The park rents increased dramatically during the big housing boom. I don't know if any adjustments have been made in some of the parks, but someone who needs to budget $1,000 a month can't afford $600 a month for lot rent, pay for utilities, car repairs, gas, and still put food on the table.

My last paragraph wasn't meant to discourage you from purchasing a home there. I was only answering your question about why so many people are trying to sell their mobile homes. I also want to mention that if you go to the site mobile home village (don't think I can post the link) and click on Florida on the map, you'll see that on that site alone there are 235 homes for sale in North Fort Myers, more than any other city listed...and North Fort Myers isn't even a city, it's a section of Fort Myers.

Last edited by justNancy; 09-24-2009 at 02:34 PM..

Old 09-24-2009, 02:31 PM

917 posts, read 2,614,660 times
My personal experience with North Fort Myers is limited to what I can see driving down that section of 41 or driving down Del Prado Blvd or Bayshore road. The area has a local reputation of being trashy. What I see on these roads doesn't persuade me otherwise. I've also had coworkers from the area that fit the red neck stereotype to the tee. Maybe it gets nicer when you get away from the commercial areas. Cpslaughter seems to think so.

Last edited by tommy-105; 09-24-2009 at 02:56 PM..

Old 09-24-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy-105 View Post
My personal experience with North Fort Myers is limited to what I can see driving down that section of 41 or driving down Bayshore road. The area has a local reputation of being trashy. What I see on these two roads doesn't persuade me otherwise. I've also had coworkers from the area that fit the red neck stereotype to the tee. Maybe it gets nicer when you get away from the commercial areas. Cpslaughter seems to think so.
Thanks for being honest. I hesitate to write that stuff, because I don't want to insult other members (although I often do!) but when I think of North Fort Myers, I think of the 8 bodies they found in the woods 2 years ago or all the drug busts I read about in the News-Press.

Of course there are many beautiful, expensive homes in North Fort Myers too, but it's generally viewed as a "red neck" area. Still, Punta Gorda is home to the Red Neck Yacht Club, and Fort Myers proudly holds its annual Red Neck Olympics so the term is often considered a compliment down here!

Old 09-24-2009, 03:19 PM

I had a coworker that my boss at the time insisted that I drive to and from work. The guy would walk out to Bayshore road so I could pick him up. At the end of the day I would drop him off at the same spot. One day it was raining and I insisted on taking him to his door. Turns out he was living in a shed of some sort in someone's back yard. So much for zoning.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy-105 View Post
I had a coworker that my boss at the time insisted that I drive to and from work. The guy would walk out to Bayshore road so I could pick him up. At the end of the day I would drop him off at the same spot. One day it was raining and I insisted on taking him to his door. Turns out he was living in a shed of some sort in someone's back yard. So much for zoning.
The poor guy! I think it's that way all over Florida, however. I've had a similar same experience. He was the nicest guy too, but had a drinking problem and parked his truck in the woods behind a house.

Not sure what kind of community you live in, but many areas have zero deed restrictions. Regarding the shed, if it didn't have proper plumbing and was unsafe, the only reason he was living there was because nobody reported it. There are always some kind of health & safety codes. Not to bring up something really, really awful, but that kidnap victim in CA who was raped and kept hostage for so many years lived in the man's backyard and not one neighbor ever called the cops. He was even a registered sex offender and law enforcement regularly visited him. That's not a subject for this board, so I won't start ranting, but it's mind boggling to say the least.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
He was the nicest guy too, but had a drinking problem and parked his truck in the woods behind a house.
I've worked with more than one guy who was "camping" and yes they have always been real nice guys. Just didn't always smell too good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area