Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 12:47 PM

209 posts, read 452,449 times

Advertisements

We have been looking to relocate to SW FL and have mainly focused on Sarasota County but have expanded our search further south. We happened to scan MLS and saw an area we liked "Sunset Key Subdivision" located next to Burnt Store Marina.

I would love to get positive AND negative feedback relating to whatever (crime, noise, fishing, location/neighborhood, shopping, beaches, an area that would be in demand for resale?). I know its close to some beautiful beaches. Would living right on the marina be noisy? Do you think it would be secure?

We have kids that will be going to college in about a year and do not have a college picked out yet. I am self-employed and can live about anywhere -- just want a great place on or near the water (our price range is about 400k-550).

We have made several trips to Sarasota looking at homes, but we have not ventured this far south. We will be coming to look around some more in November and hope to move by next summer. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 07:40 PM

220 posts, read 745,184 times
I know Burnt store Marina, the community is gated. I remember new sub divisions going up. That area is quite a way from shopping centers and mall. They do have local stores. Not sure how far away from the beach though, in between Cape Coral, and Punta Gorda if I remember correctly. Close to Charlotte Harbor. The homes are spread out, some condos, some single family and no I can't imagine the Marina noisey. If your a boater you love the sounds of twins starting up, JMO. Best to check around and research. Can't imagine any crime in that area.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:42 PM

Thanks for your remarks, NJlulu. I didn't realize it was gated area. Also, I should rephrase my OP to: "I can live anywhere I want WITHIN OUR BUDGET

Old 09-29-2009, 04:00 AM

917 posts, read 2,614,660 times
While I drive past Burnt Store Marina all the time, I've never been beyond the gate. I did spend some time recently at a house on Vincent Ave directly across from the Burnt Store Clubhouse, including a couple of Saturday mornings. The area was extremely quiet. Like NJlulu, I also can't see crime as being an issue. The problem with this area is it's remoteness. It's not really convenient to much of anything, including beaches, and probably high schools. I played with Google maps a little to try to show this:
Burnt Store Marina - Google Maps

Old 09-29-2009, 06:49 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,930,287 times
Mrs. Cool and I stopped for lunch at BSM, it was very nice, food was top notch though the service was a bit slow. We sat right next to the water and watched the boats come and go, the resturant was full but not over crowded. i would call the area upperscale but we felt very welcome there, it is gated and we had to let the gate keeper know that we were just stopping in for lunch, he smiled and handed us a pass.

When we move down, I can see BSM as one of our boat hopping desinations,,,,we had fun!! It's not too far from Pine Island, which has some very cool, old style Florida, amost Florida Keyslike areas, it's not that far to St. Johns city and everything you should need. GREAT fishing area!!

Old 09-29-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy-105 View Post
While I drive past Burnt Store Marina all the time, I've never been beyond the gate. I did spend some time recently at a house on Vincent Ave directly across from the Burnt Store Clubhouse, including a couple of Saturday mornings. The area was extremely quiet. Like NJlulu, I also can't see crime as being an issue. The problem with this area is it's remoteness. It's not really convenient to much of anything, including beaches, and probably high schools. I played with Google maps a little to try to show this:
Burnt Store Marina - Google Maps
Tommy, thanks for the map! It put things in better perspective. I thought it would be closer to beaches and shopping. This may cause my wife to re-think. Right now we live a mile from everything you need in a household to eat/drink. I am not sure if the Mrs is ready for an area tucked away that remote. We definitely will go and visit for ourselves in November.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:31 AM

Hi MrCool, Thanks for the info and glad you enjoyed lunch -- makes me want to be there! I enjoyed your album pics. I see you bought a lot --are you building on it yet? . I also noted you are friends with SoFlGal. She is helping us and is doing a great job! Our criteria for finding a home seems to be changing in small tweaks and then it seems to make big big jumps as well. She has the patience of Job, thank goodness. Read more: //www.city-data.com/forum/fort-...#ixzz0SVQnWyF3

Old 09-29-2009, 09:16 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,930,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 222muchcoffee View Post
Hi MrCool, Thanks for the info and glad you enjoyed lunch -- makes me want to be there! I enjoyed your album pics. I see you bought a lot --are you building on it yet? . I also noted you are friends with SoFlGal. She is helping us and is doing a great job! Our criteria for finding a home seems to be changing in small tweaks and then it seems to make big big jumps as well. She has the patience of Job, thank goodness. Read more: //www.city-data.com/forum/fort-...#ixzz0SVQnWyF3
SoFlGal is great and you can't do better, she will help you in any way she can.

We have not started to build on our lot yet as we lost a good chunk of change in the market last year and are tring to rebuild that first we are a little short of retiring and our jobs are here so it will be awhile til we can. We bought the lot because the prices were SOO low and we really wanted a waterfront lot with really close access to open water, as we love to boat, fish ect... we plan on paying off the lot first then building what we want as far as a home/pool... but who knows we still keep looking and we may find a house we like already buildt, buy that and sell the lot??? like you things may change, who knows? We will try to keep the costs down by paying off things as we go, the worst thing is to be house rich and cash poor...just makes no sence, we like to do to many things that cost money

You just need to be smart about these things and so many people are not and end up losing it all, then blame others for their plight! sorry, I'll step off my soap box now In the meantime we'll just keep coming down two or three times a year and visiting home Mr.Cool

Old 09-29-2009, 09:19 AM

917 posts, read 2,614,660 times
Thanks, I had fun figuring out how to do the map.

While the name of the town is St. James not St. John, Mr. Cool was correct about the attractions of Pine Island, and in particular the little fishing town of Maltlacha for tourist and fishermen. But this would not be where year round residents of the communities along Burnt Store road would be going for day to day supplies.

They would be more likely to head East along Pine Island road into NW Cape Coral instead. Plenty of stores of all kinds there.

If this ever comes into being, it would be just up the road from BSM. Nothing seems to be happening yet, just some signs on the property.
Punta Gorda, Florida | The Loop Shopping Centers****

Last edited by tommy-105; 09-29-2009 at 10:01 AM..

Old 09-29-2009, 09:46 AM

220 posts, read 745,184 times
I think Publix on Pine Island Rd. was probably about 20 min. away from BSM area. It seems longer. There are other convenience store/liquor in little strip malls as well. We had lunch at BSM as well, quite nice, Pignolis store there IIRC. We built in SW cape 2006, before we built the closest grocery was Cape Coral Pkwy, then publix opened on Skyline, about 4 miles away. We now have a nice shopping center on surfside and publix right up the road, home dept and Lowes. Cape is just growing or was. Semi retired Snowbird here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area