Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 02:20 AM

917 posts, read 2,614,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroeran View Post
Didn't say anything about taking weapons to school. Just read a bit more slowly and you will be able to follow the conversation.

"If you have kids in the public school system, get them fully trained up in martial arts and small weapons."

"With kids, after making the best effort to find the safest neighbourhood and school you can afford, I would pump them full of religion and put them on martial arts and small firearms training.
"

I think these are very irresponsible statements to be making. I just don't know how serious you are. Kids who think they are being bullied should resort to guns?
http://www.harrisonline.com/GRAPHICS...-cafeteria.jpg

Quote:
I myself was trucked into a bad neighbourhood for grammar school and had to learn to physically defend myself.
No surprise there. I figured that one out all by myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 03:03 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,926,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Yes. But then some heads rolled. Get it? Rolled!

Ha! I kill me!
Well, that's one way of getting a head in life.

Old 12-23-2009, 03:54 AM

917 posts, read 2,614,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Or you could grow a brain and move.

And if you have been following along then you have noticed the elephant in the room called School Choice. We moved because we were in a great neighborhood, but the nice, new neighborhood school was full of gang wanna-bes. A kid in my daughter's kindergarten class was sent to the prinicpal's office the first day. She was a girl and she was scary.

No, my precious daughter was not going to go to school and learn how to fight. We moved so that she could go to school and learn how to be a productive member of society.
You mean that you put more emphasis on having your daughter in a decent school than being close to a sunny beach? What were you thinking?

Old 12-23-2009, 04:09 AM

455 posts, read 978,714 times
Quote:

For it to work you are going to have to give up on the HGTV or Fine Living view of the universe, and fall back to a more organic lifestyle that involves buying walmart no-name brand, dollar stores, flea markets, bartering, fishing, gardening, keeping small livestock if possible, cooking from scratch, and becoming entrepreneurial to raise enough cash for health insurance & rent.

With kids, after making the best effort to find the safest neighbourhood and school you can afford, I would pump them full of religion and put them on martial arts and small firearms training. If they survive highschool, you are going to have created one tough remarkable human being, much better suited to the world and happiness than the private school dillettante on the other side of the tracks.
Funny, I managed to get a kid all the way through Florida's school systems without taking her to the Range once!! No chickens, no gardens, no fishing, bartering, livestock, bla, bla, bla, bla.

I guess the more "Mentally Challenged" among us should take advantage of your vast experience in child rearing and life in Florida, hu?

There's only two ways to take your statement. Either you WERE advocating guns in schools or it was more of your tiresome mental masturbation.

Last edited by MrsTommy; 12-23-2009 at 04:20 AM..

Old 12-23-2009, 06:33 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,930,482 times
I read Kroeran's posts, and he never said anything about taking weapons to school, only about training school aged kids in the use of small weapons. And as per normal, Mrs. Tommy's post is insulting and uncalled for!

Nancy, Charles Dickens....You just can't go wrong quoting Charlie Mr.Cool

Old 12-23-2009, 08:42 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,283,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsTommy View Post
Funny, I managed to get a kid all the way through Florida's school systems without taking her to the Range once!! No chickens, no gardens, no fishing, bartering, livestock, bla, bla, bla, bla. .
thanks again for the gratuitous personal comments and being your usual sunny self.

if you were able to get your kid through the Florida public school system and keep her safe with a limited income lifestyle, I wish you would speak up more about how precisely to do that when others are trashing Florida.

otherwise it seems to be all doom and gloom about the public schools and gangs in the streets, nieghbourhoods even the police wont go into.

maybe the real thing here is some posters are all-negative-all-the-time bullies, and when SWF is cast in an extreme negative light, you are forced by impulse to suggest things are not all that bad.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Do you remember when the carriage ran over the peasant child? To borrow the description from a critic of Dickens

"In France, the nobles lived in luxury and were sure that they and the king ruled by divine right and that nothing would ever change. The general populace suffered from starvation, disease, and deprivation and were growing impatient for change."

Seriously, is it very different now?
just look at the Forbes 400...apart from Waltons, who are not exactly pillars of elitism or old money, are any others inheritance?

top 11

1 William Gates III50,000 53 Medina Microsoft 2 Warren Buffett40,000 79 Omaha Berkshire Hathaway 3 Lawrence Ellison27,000 65 Redwood City Oracle 4 Christy Walton & family21,500 54 Jackson Wal-Mart 5 Jim C. Walton19,600 61 Bentonville Wal-Mart 6 Alice Walton19,300 60 Fort Worth Wal-Mart 7 S. Robson Walton19,000 65 Bentonville Wal-Mart 8 Michael Bloomberg17,500 67 New York Bloomberg 9 Charles Koch16,000 73 Wichita manufacturing, energy 9 David Koch16,000 69 New York manufacturing, energy 11 Sergey Brin15,300 36 Palo Alto Google

Old 12-23-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy-105 View Post
I think these are very irresponsible statements to be making. I just don't know how serious you are. Kids who think they are being bullied should resort to guns?
this is regarding an extreme situation where lets say you are a single mother of a 17 year old girl, you are going down financially, can't move, are in a bad neighbourhood with punks wandering around with weapons - and you are out of options.

somehow I don't think the Ghandi maneover is going to work.

What is the minimum age for a person to legally operate a hand gun?

...in a gun club, on your property, on the street, in a car

Old 12-23-2009, 09:12 AM

208 posts, read 612,029 times
Quote:
thanks again for the gratuitous personal comments and being your usual sunny self.

if you were able to get your kid through the Florida public school system and keep her safe with a limited income lifestyle, I wish you would speak up more about how precisely to do that when others are trashing Florida.

otherwise it seems to be all doom and gloom about the public schools and gangs in the streets, neighborhoods even the police wont go into.

maybe the real thing here is some posters are all-negative-all-the-time bullies, and when SWF is cast in an extreme negative light, you are forced by impulse to suggest things are not all that bad.

They aren't that bad. I have no idea where you guys are talking about that you need to teach your kids to defend themselves with weapons. Really, I would never have moved here if it was that way. I home schooled my kids for 9 years because the schools in Pa are THAT bad! I even lived in an upper middle class town. The drugs were so bad, the kids my children grew up with, that were once nice, turned into really bad kids...in middle school!

The school where my kids go to is nice, no gang mentality. No major drug issues either. Of course there are cameras everywhere in the school, so kids do not get away with anything. My kids are also A/B students. They have a plethora of activities to choose from.

I home schooled my children because my oldest daughter (I have 4 of them) was attacked with a knife in the best school in PA. She was stabbed in the back. The child that did it, had an IEP #, so he was not allowed to be kicked out of school. So my daughter, for her safety was placed in a special room. They did however pay to have a guard move this young man from class to class...
I know of nothing like this happening in my girls school now.

Why do you paint such a terrible light on Florida? Did you personally have bad things happen to you here? Is all this attitude hearsay? Do you really live in that bad of an area, that you are afraid of leaving your secured, gated community? Is it that you really do not know how to do things for yourself, and would rather pay an enormous amount, and live under rules of an HOA? Why do you think that only the rich are happy? Why do you think only the kids in private schools have the best, safest lives?
Why in the world would you think that all kids that go to public schools need to learn how to arm themselves?

Florida is a beautiful state, filled with beautiful people.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:37 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,531,714 times
Folks,
Let's get back on topic........then again, I think the topic may lead to disputes...
Perhaps it has run it's course.

Nancy, thank you for adding some culture to our many spiraling downward threads.....

Sometimes, just to maintain balance, I think there should be a rule here that for every negative comment posted here one would have to also mention ONE positive thing......imagine that!

The real truth here is that no place is perfect, no place is totally bad or totally good......even here in NY, there are things I dislike, (high taxes, poor jobs, rust, potholes, high heat bills, blizzards, etc,etc)........but there are also great things.....(change of seasons, although too extreme for me, V shaped flying Canadian geese everywhere, lightly falling snow, the smell of fall leaves, the excitement of seeing the leaves come back again after months of dreary winter, the excitement of seeing your driveway again after snowblowing for 3 hours, having a fireplace fire to warm the house, etc,etc. )

I know this is about Florida....I just wanted to make a point that one could, (and should) be able to find good and bad everywhere, and the truthfulness of that balance is nice.......

Well, time to go snowblow the driveway again...it is 16 degrees here.....carry on!

Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area