Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 11:31 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,729,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
Joy12345,
That's because forums like this are heavens for people who love to complain.
And there are plenty that have good things to say also, many times, they are one and the same

Several of the people in this thread do not even live here (and have never lived in Cape Coral), yet they post over and over about how bad it is here.
The same is true in the opposite, some do not, and never have lived here, yet post about how wonderful it is...how would they know?

I've lived here for the last 15 years (Cape Coral and Pine Island). I love it. It's really nice, clean, and safe. Jobs are hard to come by right now and it's really hot in the summer, but I'm not complaining.
I lived here for twenty years, does that have some bearing on the value of my opinion?

I moved away from Cape Coral (all the way to Pine Island because I like to live in the "country", but the cape is far from a ghetto.
But it's headed that way, depends on where you look

I work in the Cape and I have many friends, relatives and co-workers who still live in the Cape. They love it, they don't lock thier doors and don't complain endlessly.
The last time one of my friends didnt lock their door at two in the afternoon, while she took the dog out back and chatted with a neighbor for twenty minutes, came back in to find the kitchen ransacked, and her purse gone

I would say NE cape is the least desirable, but it's not terrible. Most of SE, SW and much of NW are beautiful. Feel free to message me with any questions and I'll give you an honest opinion.
Ah, here's the backhanded method of calling those of us that dont agree with you, liars

As you've seen you'll only get the doom and gloom side here.
And the final sentence that betrays your real agenda........Suddenly your credibility has a huge hole in it.
So which developer, realtor, or chamber of commerce do you work for Mike?

Yachtcare has spoken.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 12:02 PM

132 posts, read 557,162 times
Where in Cape Coral is headed toward being a ghetto, give me an address. I work in NE Cape, I'm there almost every day.
Do you also call a couple punky teens that hang out together a "gang".
Yes, living here 20 years does increase the value of your opinion (at least to me). I just don't happen to agree with many of your opinions.
I haven't called anyone a liar, you seem to be the one on the attack. My post was not an attack on you or anyone else. I'm sorry if it was taken that way, but I wanted her to know that plenty of us are happy here. The sky isn't falling. People that bought during the peak are, were or may soon be in trouble, but plenty of us are fine.
I'm not sure what you mean by "my agenda". I'm not a realtor, developer, don't work for any chamber, nothing of the sort. Think what you like, I care not.
My "agenda" was to give Joy an honest opinion from someone that lives here and loves it. That's all, nothing more.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:19 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Not so sure there is as much of a gap as people want to believe between retirees and working people.

The gap is between people with money and without money. There are plenty of "retired" people who still need to work part-time to make ends meet. Just walk into any Publix or Wal-Mart and look at the age of some of the employees.
Then, basically, it is a matter of having the common decency and respect that others may not be in the same financial position as "you" (not referring to you exactly, Nancy!) and for reasons NONE OF US know or should even be privy to; and thus the judgement stick of "I worked hard & lived w/in my means" b.s. that is thrown around here gets old and redundant.

Was it you or someone else who once said "Only by the grace of God".

I think that needs to be applied to many who post on here.

I don't have a lot of money. Never have; never will. If I did, not the type to spend it on a huge house w/ granite countertops and a enormous boat. Nor do I care about those who do; their money and their decision.

Been lucky enough to have never walked through the dark valley of financial despair. Some are there due to their own selfishness and greed while others for some pure bad luck and bad timing. I can't sit and wag my finger at them. Who am I to judge for in a blink of an eye I, too, could be them, I don't care how financial sound someone may be...it is possible to crash & burn. Thus, the statement, "only by the grace of God".

I have to sit & laugh reading many of these posts. Not sure why this area brings out the nasty in so many; at least in their posts. What a waste...so much beauty in life no matter where you live, what the temperature.

I always say, after literally having friends blown to pieces in Iraq & a husband who was injured in Iraq, that if the worst thing in life you endure is shovelling snow or being too hot, you are damn, damn lucky. You don't "like" where you live. What a GREAT thing to be able to complain about. I'm not throwing stones...hated living in SWFL. Sure hasn't been the biggest obstacle in my life nor will it be.

Only by the grace of god. And for those who are in bad places in their life no matter where they live...may they have the strength to dig out of the hole.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:14 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,729,420 times
Quote:
Where in Cape Coral is headed toward being a ghetto, give me an address. I work in NE Cape, I'm there almost every day.

Go check out the areas downtown, behind the former Publix, and similar places nearby...headed that way.

I didnt mention teens, but one can cause plenty of trouble, just like adults, if they are so inclined.
Yes, living here 20 years does increase the value of your opinion (at least to me). I just don't happen to agree with many of your opinions.

I didnt say it does, nor should you be required too
I haven't called anyone a liar, you seem to be the one on the attack.

I refer you to the last two sentences of your original post. Like Joy mentioned back in post #15 of this very thread, "it's not said, it's implied". Since you are the one that will give an honest opinion.

My post was not an attack on you or anyone else. I'm sorry if it was taken that way, but I wanted her to know that plenty of us are happy here. The sky isn't falling. People that bought during the peak are, were or may soon be in trouble, but plenty of us are fine.

I'm glad you are happy, and I, nor anyone else I've seen, have no problem with you saying as much. You OTOH, seem to have a problem with those that have an opinion counter to your own

I'm not a realtor, developer, don't work for any chamber, nothing of the sort. Think what you like, I care not.

ditto

My "agenda" was to give Joy an honest opinion from someone that lives here and loves it. That's all, nothing more.

But you dont live there, you live on Pine Island, and you work in the NE Cape, where you yourself admitedly dont think it's all that. There is as much difference in living on P.I. vs the Cape as there is from Fort Myers, vs. Naples. So where's the honest opinion? That's all, nothing more.

Yachtcare has spoken.......his last on this matter.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:18 PM

49 posts, read 148,501 times
Amen 121804

Old 01-07-2010, 09:43 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Funny. This thread is not about forum opinions. It's about the New York Times' articles. I guess they don't count because the reporters never lived there and the people that they interviewed don't count, either, for some unknown reason. The articles were about the housing recovery and people having only food stamps to live on. Such doom and gloom. One of my aunts in Cape Coral just lost her house. I guess she should perk up.

Methinks that the personal attacks were to deflect from cold, hard facts that are, once again, getting national attention.

Let's think. Why would someone be upset by a thread titled, "Cape Coral Real Estate nowhere near recovery......."

Could they be trying to sell their house for a very long time?

Old 01-08-2010, 07:00 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,091,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Funny. This thread is not about forum opinions. It's about the New York Times' articles. I guess they don't count because the reporters never lived there and the people that they interviewed don't count, either, for some unknown reason. The articles were about the housing recovery and people having only food stamps to live on. Such doom and gloom. One of my aunts in Cape Coral just lost her house. I guess she should perk up.

Methinks that the personal attacks were to deflect from cold, hard facts that are, once again, getting national attention.

Let's think. Why would someone be upset by a thread titled, "Cape Coral Real Estate nowhere near recovery......."

Could they be trying to sell their house for a very long time?

just as a side note the employment recovery and housing recovery are two seperate ( but related things) and are at two different points.

It's not that the new yorks time reporter's opinion doesn't count it is just that his/ her opinion is no more valuable than anyone elses but for some reason people seem to give it a lot of weight. The title Nowhere near recovery is incorrect even in it's meaning.

If a housing market is in decline volume is dropping, prices are dropping, foreclosures are rising. Clearly was the case up untill April of 2008.

A switch doesn't flip and all of the sudden things are better. first an area stabilizes where buyers start returning to the market, prices stabilize, foreclosures stabilize . That is the begining of the recovery.

In the middle volumes are high, prices increase, foreclosures are reduced.

If the article's interpretation is prices have to go back up to what they were at the height of the bubble then they would be correct nowhere near recovery.

As of now the median home price has increased for the last 7 month at a current rate of 1.74% per month (or 20% annual). volume up over 100%. and foreclosure down from a high of 2200 per month to around 1600.

all signs of a "recovery" are here. is it fully recovered? No. My opinion of full recovery is not when prices retouch 2006 levels it is when there is an equalibrium of buyers to sellers and prices for houses are in line with income levels and are about 20% discounted for a new house to be built. Are we near this. No but technically we are in recovery.

As you know I am looking to purchase a property in Mass and from talking with the realtors there, their volume is still low prices still declining and foreclosures are rising. They are not in recovery,they are in decline.

after rereading article title is "far from a recovery" not a big difference but still.....

Last edited by nhkev; 01-08-2010 at 07:48 AM..

Old 01-09-2010, 05:25 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhkev View Post
It's not that the new yorks time reporter's opinion doesn't count it is just that his/ her opinion is no more valuable than anyone elses but for some reason people seem to give it a lot of weight.
It's not an opinion-piece and no one is giving it extra weight. It is just the subject of this thread.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:23 PM

776 posts, read 1,673,012 times
Quote:
I haven't called anyone a liar, you seem to be the one on the attack. My post was not an attack on you or anyone else. I'm sorry if it was taken that way, but I wanted her to know that plenty of us are happy here. The sky isn't falling. People that bought during the peak are, were or may soon be in trouble, but plenty of us are fine.
I'm not sure what you mean by "my agenda". I'm not a realtor, developer, don't work for any chamber, nothing of the sort. Think what you like, I care not.
I agree it is a decent area surrounded by water on three sides with tons of gulf access canals, many new retail centers, tons of inventory at very distressed prices. I also think it is one of the great bargains courtesy of this real estate crash Depressing for many burned by the bubble but a great opportunity for the next wave that is already coming in droves. Question is will the economy ever get diversified or is best the area remain the bargain basment retirement area it always was until about 2002.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:41 PM

681 posts, read 884,652 times
Good place for retirement? Is it the reason we have a population decrease?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area