Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 02:50 PM

5 posts, read 6,137 times

Advertisements

thank you for this perspective. I never heard of Cape Coral but will look at that.
thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 09:35 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,534,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post

I thought the area was a dump. I think the folks that are happy down there don't have the highest standards. There are a lot of people from Detroit and such. The lyrics: "They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" often ran through my head.
Hik,
I have to disagree with you here on principle. You are within your rights to have an opinion about an area, but to say that the inhabitants of an area have lower standards because they seem to be happy there, and "There are a lot of people from Detroit and such" seems to be a statement unbecoming of a Realtor. They could be construed as bigoted by some.

I have never been to the area you describe, nor have a ever been to Detroit, but I'd guess there are good folks in both of those areas, and folks there that would take offense to your statements.

Lets be a bit more careful as to what we say, because sometimes when we do not mean to, we could offend. I have recently chided others on this, and I need to use the same yardstick with all posts.......

Frank

Old 02-25-2010, 06:46 PM

12 posts, read 24,498 times
Thanks for the post Frank!!! About time someone sticks up for us happy, sub-standard folks down here in SW Florida. It always confused me why so many people would want to lower there standards to come here to visit and live.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:35 AM

11 posts, read 24,679 times
Thanks for your input. Good luck on your closing. It is a shame so many people lost on the housing market in SW Florida. I just got back from Cape Coral and it seems things might be picking up a bit down there. After looking over tons of real estate information (past and present). Cape Coral seemed originally to get off to a good start. Like any real estate market, we buy on speculation. Unfortunately they over sold the speculation probably more than most areas. Seems to me that maybe the numbers that you are seeing now on house values is coming back into normal focus for that area. Just my opinion. Anyway it seems like a nice place to buy in Florida and I wish you the best of luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
Hi Kev.
I don't live here yet. I have owned property in SW Florida for 23 years and have been down here in all of the seasons. I just purchased a home in SE Cape Coral, closing next month. I am from Long Island and I wanted to have alot of stores, restaurants, bars etc close by, just like it is where I live up north. The SE CC is more urban than the other areas of CC ( not big city urban ). But it is still beautiful to me. Palm trees and tropical plants. Water everywhere. The bugs in the winter are almost nothing, in the summer they can be a pain. You don't stay outside around dusk and you can avoid the worst of them. What drew me to the area is the boating. There are not too many places where you can have a boat in your backyard and be 30 minutes from the Gulf for these prices.
You can learn alot by reading other posts. I've probably read a thousand. You will get to know the posters and see which ones have an axe to grind or have ulterior motives. Some folks are bitter that they lost a ton of money with the bust. Others pine for the way it used to be. My motive is that I love Cape Coral and want it to prosper.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:55 AM

Great input. I really appreciate it. Just got back from SW Florida and learned quite a bit in a short time. Cape Coral… Yes you can buy a house for cheap, but as with anything cheap comes a compromise. Parts of the Cape are beautiful and hell yeah I wouldn’t mind living in those areas. I am not saying the rest of the town is bad, it’s actually nice, but unfortunately I don’t think that town is for me. We search a little further south and came to Naples. Don’t take this the wrong way and I am not trying to insult anyone, but hated it. The west side is beautiful, houses are gorgeous and the beach is outstanding. Way to crowded for my taste and very, very expensive. Just not my bag. The east side was ok, but just the opposite. Not a damn thing to do. I also was surprised at the east side “residents”. I stopped at the Circle K in one part and was approached by a beggar as I walk into the store looking for money. Upon leaving the store I watched the local police arrest 2 men on the street right outside of the parking lot. Sorry Naples… Not a great impression. I will say I really liked Bonita Springs and on my next visit I will concentrate there.
You advise is greatly appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
Hi Kev.
I don't live here yet. I have owned property in SW Florida for 23 years and have been down here in all of the seasons. I just purchased a home in SE Cape Coral, closing next month. I am from Long Island and I wanted to have alot of stores, restaurants, bars etc close by, just like it is where I live up north. The SE CC is more urban than the other areas of CC ( not big city urban ). But it is still beautiful to me. Palm trees and tropical plants. Water everywhere. The bugs in the winter are almost nothing, in the summer they can be a pain. You don't stay outside around dusk and you can avoid the worst of them. What drew me to the area is the boating. There are not too many places where you can have a boat in your backyard and be 30 minutes from the Gulf for these prices.
You can learn alot by reading other posts. I've probably read a thousand. You will get to know the posters and see which ones have an axe to grind or have ulterior motives. Some folks are bitter that they lost a ton of money with the bust. Others pine for the way it used to be. My motive is that I love Cape Coral and want it to prosper.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:04 AM

Wow 121804 sorry to hear that. But your honesty makes me consider on a different level. The job situation can be a major problem. My wife and I will both need to work. And yes it would appear jobs are few and far between. It seems to be the general consensus that Florida’s public education system HMMM I do I say this “SUCKS”. I have not heard one good thing about the schools. If anyone has something good to say please do. It will greatly help me and others reading this thread. What are some of the other things you disliked? You lived there so to us considering you input is invaluable

Old 02-28-2010, 09:09 AM

What about Bonita Springs any input from anyone?

Old 03-01-2010, 08:27 AM

320 posts, read 1,130,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev73 View Post
Hello everybody. I am a new comer to City Data and need a little help. It seems that most people offer good realistic information about each area. I live in South Jersey and have started to consider relocating to Florida. It seems that southwest Florida suits my basic wants and needs. I like the outdoors, love to fish, and me and my wife like taking day trips to see other areas and attractions. My quandary however begins with what seems to become battles over information in other threads. One says it’s to hot, then another agues that person is crazy. Or people seem to defend the area they live in about crime, better neighborhoods ECT. It’s natural to defend your turf, but it confuses the hell out people looking for insight to an area. I am only in the beginning stages of this consideration and of course I will be visiting Cape Coral, Fort Myers, and Naples on my next couple of trips down. Looking for some real perspective from anyone on these areas. Would love to hear from someone in 30’s or 40’s that is also a transplant from the “NORTH"
PS. Is it to hot? Are bugs that bad? And are jobs really that hard to find? Are the school systems really that sub-par?
Am I trying to find a “paradise” that’s really not there.
Thanks for your input. KEV
Where at in south Jersey?

My fiancee and I moved here last April from Vineland.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:48 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,027 posts, read 6,544,694 times
I believe Kev73 is from Cape May County. We are from Ocean County (Brick). Currently in Murrells Inlet, SC. Heading to our new (newly purchased) condo in Naples tomorrow. Another adventure begins.......

Old 03-02-2010, 12:11 PM

220 posts, read 745,402 times
Hi all, I love Cape Coral and surrounding areas. Much to do there for hubby and I, kids who are older love the beach, jet ski, kayaking and party at the beach. We are semi retired so spend time both in Ocean Cty, NJ and Fl.
I am not sure of job market or school issues since not really involved, but don't think SW florida has turned into a ghost town. In fact, it seems more and more people are buying lately. Paradise is what you make it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area