Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 01:09 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,327,141 times

Advertisements

Hello to all,

Interview on Friday in Ft.Wayne, so possibly a move in the near future. Not familiar with the area at all, so that's where I need help!

It'll be my fiance and I(ages 23,21), no kids(but planning to haven some soon). Somewhere safe and fmily friendly is a must. We'll have to rent at first. Budget starting off would be $800-$1000. Any suggestions on areas to live would be very helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 06:14 PM

Also meant to say, we don't have to live in actual town either. Suburbs outside of Ft.Wayne within a reasonable driving distance is acceptable if it means being in a safer area

Old 03-04-2015, 06:20 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,269,625 times
Most people will typically point toward the southwest side, especially around and west of I-69 and Jefferson Blvd (US 24) if you want the best school district though that's not something you need to worry about for a while. I know there's an apartment complex right there are at the interchange though I'm not sure exactly how nice they are. I lived for a period in both Canterbury Green on the northeast side and Brandy Chase on the northwest side. I'd recommend the northeast side. Anywhere from IPFW north and east are nice areas and there are plenty of apartment complexes in that area. The Dupont Rd area is all the way from I-69 west to Lima Rd has been booming in the last decade. $800 to $1000 for rent should be able to get you almost anything you want in Fort Wayne. But a lot could depend on where your job is as well. Fort Wayne doesn't take that long to get across but traffic in spots can get pretty congested.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:25 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,985,269 times
Contact the Willows of Coventry (Apartments) on Coventry Parkway - for families, I love the place and have rented there. The management/maintenance personnel are really nice/helpful people (which is pretty awesome/unique right there). It's location is ideal, nearby everything you could want (and easy access to the highway). Lastly, the price is right (really right) and the grounds beautiful for walking/jogging, etc and nearby the Jorgensen Y, Indian Trails Park, the Library, Kroger Marketplace, Movie Theatre, lots of places to bike ride, etc.

I would first look at where the Job is going to be though... try to minimize commute and you will be a lot happier (vs living across town). If schools aren't important in your decision-making that opens up a lot of other locations to consider seriously. Also be forewarned a lot of transfers/new hires find the price of real estate here in Fort Wayne so affordable they decide to buy rather than rent to take advantage of company moving-packages (right away). I don't encourage that... until you become familiar with this city it is clearly best to rent a place... there are so many nice neighborhoods and vicinities to look at you will want a year or two to get to know the area.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Most people will typically point toward the southwest side, especially around and west of I-69 and Jefferson Blvd (US 24) if you want the best school district though that's not something you need to worry about for a while. I know there's an apartment complex right there are at the interchange though I'm not sure exactly how nice they are. I lived for a period in both Canterbury Green on the northeast side and Brandy Chase on the northwest side. I'd recommend the northeast side. Anywhere from IPFW north and east are nice areas and there are plenty of apartment complexes in that area. The Dupont Rd area is all the way from I-69 west to Lima Rd has been booming in the last decade. $800 to $1000 for rent should be able to get you almost anything you want in Fort Wayne. But a lot could depend on where your job is as well. Fort Wayne doesn't take that long to get across but traffic in spots can get pretty congested.

My job is on Lake Ave if you know where that is. I appreciate the info, it'll definitely make looking for a place a little better

Old 03-04-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belovenow View Post
Contact the Willows of Coventry (Apartments) on Coventry Parkway - for families, I love the place and have rented there. The management/maintenance personnel are really nice/helpful people (which is pretty awesome/unique right there). It's location is ideal, nearby everything you could want (and easy access to the highway). Lastly, the price is right (really right) and the grounds beautiful for walking/jogging, etc and nearby the Jorgensen Y, Indian Trails Park, the Library, Kroger Marketplace, Movie Theatre, lots of places to bike ride, etc.

I would first look at where the Job is going to be though... try to minimize commute and you will be a lot happier (vs living across town). If schools aren't important in your decision-making that opens up a lot of other locations to consider seriously. Also be forewarned a lot of transfers/new hires find the price of real estate here in Fort Wayne so affordable they decide to buy rather than rent to take advantage of company moving-packages (right away). I don't encourage that... until you become familiar with this city it is clearly best to rent a place... there are so many nice neighborhoods and vicinities to look at you will want a year or two to get to know the area.
Job is on Lake Ave, I'm not familiar with the area, but I think it's somewhat downtown? Could be wrong though. Thanks for the info!

Old 03-04-2015, 11:17 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,606,808 times
I lived in Pointe Inverness on the SW side (I-69 & Illinois Road) before and it wasn't bad. Neighbors were friendly and I had never heard of any crime. In general, apartment complexes in suburban areas on the SW and North sides of Fort Wayne will be safe. You may also want to look at living Downtown if you can find a place in your price range. The city center is finally seeing investment again and is where I'd imagine you'll find more young people. It's also a very fast drive pretty much anywhere you'll want to go from Downtown.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:40 PM

I would search for apartments in the same zip code as the job opportunity on Lake Ave (A simple search to do on google actually). I would also ask the people at the new workplace where they suggestion looking for temporary housing. Like I said, try to keep commute time to a minimum.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:51 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,606,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belovenow View Post
I would search for apartments in the same zip code as the job opportunity on Lake Ave (A simple search to do on google actually). I would also ask the people at the new workplace where they suggestion looking for temporary housing. Like I said, try to keep commute time to a minimum.
I don't really understand how the commute would be much of an issue, unless traffic in Fort Wayne has gotten a lot worse since I lived there a few years ago. Aren't the only truly congested roads Coldwater and Coliseum?

Old 03-05-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
I don't really understand how the commute would be much of an issue, unless traffic in Fort Wayne has gotten a lot worse since I lived there a few years ago. Aren't the only truly congested roads Coldwater and Coliseum?
There was a time when I would have agreed with you - the last few years has seen major increases traffic throughout Fort Wayne. There's actually rush hour now both in the morning and evening, and when weather events hit everything gets congested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Fort Wayne
View detailed profiles of: