Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 08:04 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,774,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kt2le View Post
The Vandergriff home is on Park Row. That area, with its huge trees, large lots and older, well-maintained homes, is very pretty. I like Southwood, too, which is behind the Vandergriff home. I would consider this west/central Arlington.
You are so right. I could not for the life of me remember Park Row and I leaped over a lttle too far north. I didn't think it was Abrams, but figured someone would set it straight. It has been years since I was in that neighborhood. There used to be a grove of pine trees at the intersection. I went to school at Carter Jr. High and AHS. Past these pine trees every day. Does anyone out there remember Miss Amos, Jr. English teacher, who was from Georgia (always said, "in all the Unted States and Georgia"). I have good memories of Arlington.

If you keep going west on Park Row to Bowen, make a left on Bowen and a quick right, there is a little bakery (or was) called the Red Oven (in Pantego)with the BEST red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese icing. Umm, I might take a quick run over that way soon.

Thanks for correcting me. It has been bothering me ever since I sent it in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 09:09 PM

158 posts, read 659,501 times
There are several nice, gated, apartment complexes in North Arlington on Green Oaks between Ballpark Way and Cooper. And at Green Oaks and Collins there's a Tom Thumb grocery store, Starbucks, Elzie Odom Recreation Center and easy access to the hiking/biking trails of Legacy Park.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:30 PM

12 posts, read 89,406 times
I live in North Arlington in apartments on the corner of Brown and 360. Having to drive on 360 a lot, I can say for sure to stay out of East Arlington. Along Brown more towards Collins there are a lot of older, but still pretty nice apartments and condos. If I was moving to Arlington I would look in that area first due to the fact that it is close to everything. Southwest Arlington by the lake is a great place to move to as well, esspecially if you want to raise a family.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:02 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
One of the biggest problems I have with Arlington is the traffic. It's right smack dab in the middle of the DFW metroplex (almost) and going anywhere is a nightmare. They also elected to stay out of the DART and TRE light rail/public transportation, and I like to travel by rail when possible. Other than that (and the crime issue in some parts) Arlington really is a pretty city, with lots of trees and even some pretty decent hilly areas. They are certainly a sports mecca for a city of their size as well with the new Cowboy stadium being built there and the Texas Rangers presence.

Old 08-04-2007, 12:38 PM

458 posts, read 2,775,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
One of the biggest problems I have with Arlington is the traffic. It's right smack dab in the middle of the DFW metroplex (almost) and going anywhere is a nightmare. They also elected to stay out of the DART and TRE light rail/public transportation, and I like to travel by rail when possible. Other than that (and the crime issue in some parts) Arlington really is a pretty city, with lots of trees and even some pretty decent hilly areas. They are certainly a sports mecca for a city of their size as well with the new Cowboy stadium being built there and the Texas Rangers presence.
The sports are a big factor in my reasons for wanting to move to Arlington, that and work. I'm not sure what I want to do yet but if I could find something right there in that area it would be perfect. We didn't find the traffic to be THAT bad I mean any big place is going to have traffic but I didn't find it as bad as a lot of people say it is. Getting out of Ranger games was a breeze. You want traffic, park on the Kentucky side and walk across the bridge to a Reds game. On the way out, trying to get from where we park to the highway takes literally 45 minutes to an hour... Just to go like 2 miles. We were out of the Rangers games and back to our hotel within a couple of minutes. We drove around the city during the evening rush hour and it wasn't all that bad.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:38 PM

506 posts, read 2,149,716 times
We've lived in Arlington for 15 years and traffic can be pretty bad at times. But what well-located portions of DFW don't have traffic issues? We go to a lot of Ranger games and can leave our house and be in our parking place in 20 minutes tops - and we don't live near the stadium. We live in Southwest Arlington off I-20 and, without traffic, we're 15 minutes to downtown FW and 30 to downtown Dallas. During rush hour it's a different story but not awful. Our house to downtown FW will be 20 minutes and to downtown Dallas will be 35 to 40. I used to work in downtown FW and now work in downtown Dallas, so I've driven both daily.

Old 08-05-2007, 04:52 PM

2 posts, read 14,908 times
Listen to jzimmer. Stay Far North & Far South. The center of Arlington is very poor and has a large immigrant (illegal) population.

Also, be aware that the apartments around the new stadium were extremely bad(in fact one of the reason used to get people to vote for the stadium was the removal of that bad section of town/people). They gave the residents $5k to move. Many used the money to move into other parts of the city, so places that were OK 5 years ago, have now seen a new influx of people (specifically N Arlington). Some of these people are not the best -Texas puts sex offenders online so be sure and check out your neighborhood here before you move:
https://records.txdps.state.tx.us/DP...Sor/index.aspx

As far as the Enclave - I have known people that have lived there and hated the fact that you cant get in/out of the apartment for several hours on the 78 days of the year that Rangers are playing.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:03 AM

1 posts, read 5,408 times
Default Arlington Crime Stats on web

Go to the Arlington Police Dept website: The Arlington Texas Police Department On-Line

look in the frames to the left and right, click on crime stats. Many ways to search, apartment complexes,parks,schools, streets. I checked each apartment complex for the past year. Now I don't know where to move to but am RUNNING away from the one I am in.

You can also find the sex offender registry, there is a lot of helpful info. APD has done a very good job with this.

I recently found where you can watch active police calls. Like listening to a police scanner but with more info. I find it fascinating.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:30 PM

458 posts, read 2,775,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kt2le View Post
We've lived in Arlington for 15 years and traffic can be pretty bad at times. But what well-located portions of DFW don't have traffic issues? We go to a lot of Ranger games and can leave our house and be in our parking place in 20 minutes tops - and we don't live near the stadium. We live in Southwest Arlington off I-20 and, without traffic, we're 15 minutes to downtown FW and 30 to downtown Dallas. During rush hour it's a different story but not awful. Our house to downtown FW will be 20 minutes and to downtown Dallas will be 35 to 40. I used to work in downtown FW and now work in downtown Dallas, so I've driven both daily.
That's one of the most appealing things about Arlington is the location of the stadium(s) now that the new Cowboys is being constructed there across from the Rangers' stadium. Hopefully we can get jobs somewhere close so we can live somewhere in Arlington. We plan to go to a lot of games and it will be nice being close. Going to games is one of my favorite things to do, I'm a huge sports fan and will spend a lot of time at the ballpark. I can't wait to see what the new Cowboys stadium is going to be like... It looks amazing.

Thanks everyone for your input, it has been helpful. It looks like the biggest downer on Arlington is the traffic which again we honestly didn't find to be much if any worse than it is where we are now (Louisville, KY area).

Old 08-19-2007, 08:55 AM

2 posts, read 7,877 times
Default Bad Areas - Arlington

You guys need to look on the sex offender list in Arlington for bad areas as well. I just bought a home in Arlington and did not look on the site until after signing. I have four within a block of me that have made some type of sexual offense against girls my daughters age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth