Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 08:21 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times

Advertisements

people who live in Southlake don't characterize themselves as "snobbish"--they view themselves as friendly, upwardly mobile, professional, home/family-centered

most of the criticism from Southlake comes from people who say they don't like Southlake's values--but Southlake would say its values are no different that most people who want safe neighborhoods, good schools, and accessible amenities

Trophy Club has some weird street design--look at the map in detail--see how all the streets twine around--makes driving there very confusing for people who don't know the area and also makes getting in and out (at least of the original development) very tedious in heavy traffic

I like Colleyville more than Southlake--most of retail in Colleyville is centered along Hwy 26--and a section along Hwy 121 between Colleyville and Euless
the other sections of Colleyville are residential and fairly spread out with some open areas that are still undeveloped
there is gas well drill site that just started up bordering the neighborhood of Monticello which is off John McCain Rd in the west part of Colleyville--but if you are not directly bording that well site it probably is not problem for other home owners there

these are rentals showing on realtor.com for 3-4K--Southlake
http://www.realtor.com/homesforrent/...rice-3000-4000

the 801 Parkdale listing in TimberLake is nice location--between Continental and 1709/Southlake Blvd--I would rate this best of the 3--has largest lot, a pool, seems updated to "new" look (no wallpaper, neutral colors, no brass fixtures)--that neighborhood has few homes on the market for sale so strong neighborhood ownership I would think

the 606 Heatherglen is in Timmaron--golf course in that development--smaller lot/house still has wallpaper and seems more dated than Parkdale listing--and it backs to Byron Nelson Parkway--the busiest street in the area--a definite NO to me

the 1225 Woodsey Ct house is different piece of string--this house is new build on lot that is on street south of Continental almost at its east end--
the street has real mix of different type of construction--maybe even some light industial--I bet it was never lived in
I think the person who built it bought the lot in 04 when home construction was hot and cheap land in Southlake was hard to find as rain in the desert and started construction thinking that the area would be gentrified soon and other expensive homes would be built there--did not happen--so while the house itself looks very nice/new--the neighborhood is much more iffy--and the description of the rental says that it is for sale by bank--forclosed property--they won't find anyone to take it at what they want to sell it for--the area is too unstable

IF you have not made a trip here to visit any areas in person I would say check out listings for homes on MLS and see what appeal to you the most
there are more homes for lease in Southlake and Colleyville than Trophy Club because they are larger with more homes in general--the market has slowed in upper price ranges so more homes have been put into rental play in past 12-18 months than in probably the past 10 yrs in those two towns so there are nice homes available
Colleyville and Southlake schools are some of the best in the state so that should not be issue whereever you rent

your relo company may not be into leasing--I don't know what your contract with it requires of you or how easy it would be to cancel that and use another realtor

there are people in this area with ready cash--they have bought some homes and while they are planning to flip them are leasing until the overall market is stronger--just be careful that the people you lease from will be responsible owners/mgmt company--
and that they will take the home off the market and not sell for term of your lease

Last edited by loves2read; 04-09-2011 at 08:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 08:36 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,682,176 times
I have 3 friends who live/lived in Southlake (one moved to Cabo, the other to Highland Park). All loved the neighbors and homes. All pulled their children out of the schools and put them in private schools. The concern has been the classroom size and the materialism of so many of the students. My friends can/could all compete materially and all live in 2+M homes. They simply want their kids to focus on a less flashy lifestyle of more substance. My friends who'd moved to Highland Park just sold their house b/c they are doing another corporate relo. Her 2 older kids did go thru high school there but she had planned to put their youngest in private school this fall. She had become unhappy with the social aspects of the schools in HP. Just this input, in case you are looking at the really wealthy districts......

Old 04-09-2011, 09:48 AM

my 2 cents--there is NO public or private school around that does not have some aspect of materialism within its doors--even schools in Keller ISD or Dallas ISD--no matter the income level of the parents/students--
that is just fact of life--
even private schools have this problem--because it is societal problem--not just tied to physical location

Old 04-09-2011, 01:15 PM

69 posts, read 139,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
I have 3 friends who live/lived in Southlake (one moved to Cabo, the other to Highland Park). All loved the neighbors and homes. All pulled their children out of the schools and put them in private schools. The concern has been the classroom size and the materialism of so many of the students. My friends can/could all compete materially and all live in 2+M homes. They simply want their kids to focus on a less flashy lifestyle of more substance. My friends who'd moved to Highland Park just sold their house b/c they are doing another corporate relo. Her 2 older kids did go thru high school there but she had planned to put their youngest in private school this fall. She had become unhappy with the social aspects of the schools in HP. Just this input, in case you are looking at the really wealthy districts......
Thanks for the input. This is perhaps one of the most difficult challenges for us being parents. It all started with what kind of Nintendo to buy back in the day, as we had them with Atari-like stuff when all the other kids had N64s....It's been the same issue ever since with where to live and what kind of schools should they attend.

We've been able to take advantage of the very nice things that moving in a rarified environment provides, without having them become snobbish kids always looking for the hottest fashion, gadget or car. So far, they appear to be doing well and are building a great social network, but we'll see! With teenagers things can change from one day to the other.

If by the end of the road they become self-sustainable and fullfilled individualds, doing what they love to do, we'll head to our grave very happy indeed!

Last edited by Gino'61; 04-09-2011 at 01:16 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-09-2011, 07:20 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,757,014 times
Quote:
It's interesting that your friend moved to HP from Southlake if materialism was an issue. Not that it is wrong, just interesting.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:34 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,682,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtoal View Post
It's interesting that your friend moved to HP from Southlake if materialism was an issue. Not that it is wrong, just interesting.
Husband couldn't take the commute so they moved closer.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:37 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,757,014 times
Quote:
Husband couldn't take the commute so they moved closer.
Now that would make sense.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:26 AM

my son taught in HP junior high--there is enough one-ups-man-ship there to float a navy

Old 04-11-2011, 05:02 AM

121 posts, read 404,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
my son taught in HP junior high--there is enough one-ups-man-ship there to float a navy
Is your son still there or did he leave HP?

I think you have a little of that (one up-manship) wherever you go. But I find that students tend to gravitate towards kids that are more "like" them rather than totally changing their value system for a different group of kids. Those are just my observations from a wide range of schools and teaching environments at the elementary level. As for my own children, that is certainly true. I instilled values as a parent, and they tended to gravitate towards kids that had like values. All we can do is hope that our kids will use the tools that we as parents so desperately try to give them, and use a little common sense along the way.

Will our kids make mistakes? Heck yea! But hopefully, they will come back to what they know to be true in their hearts. Do kids lose their way sometimes? Heck yea! But all we can do is hope and pray that they make it through the teen years unscathed at best. I wish I could shelter my kids... but in life, who is sheltering me?

Old 04-11-2011, 07:23 AM

he left there years ago--went to grad school to get his MA --works as curriculum developer now for on-line company
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth