Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 01:17 AM

1 posts, read 3,165 times

Advertisements

We just moved to Hidden Lakes in Keller. I thought we were mapped to Hidden Lakes elementary, but found out rezoned to Florence. Does anyone have any info? I'm a bit concerned because the neighbor kids I've met all go to private schools.

We moved to this area for better schools. I'm also looking into the Westlake charter school. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 05:48 AM

358 posts, read 1,075,591 times
I have no personal experience with Florence Elementary but have many friends whose children either currently attend or attended Florence. It's one of the best elementary schools in KISD. It's exemplary and there is high parental involvement. I think you would be just as pleased with Florence as you would have been with Hidden Lakes.

Westlake Academy admits those who do not live in the Town of Westlake via a lottery system. It's too late to seek admission for the 2011-2012 school year. The only way to ensure you are admitted is to purchase or begin building a home in Westlake.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:36 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
it might be that because you are moving in middle of the year that the school is closed because all rooms are full and your child is bumped to Florence--
again that is exemplary school and from what I have seen many of the homes feeding into that area are expensive homes--
owners are likely college educated professionals who want the best schools for their kids as well

I imagine most of the students going to private schools are going to church-tied schools--
I don't necessarily equate those to a "quality" education better than public schools--so don't automatically assume that means public schools are not quality schools

keller is going to have some hard times because of budget restrictions however--
so you will just have to see how it shakes out for next year
become a school volunteer and active in PTA--best way to tell what is going on with your school

Old 04-15-2011, 04:54 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,889,306 times
Part of Hidden Lakes was re-zoned last year. (but I thought it was to Shady Grove and Hidden Lakes)

Florence is a WONDERFUL school. It has a fantastic PTA etc... it's an older building but has a great staff etc...it has been an Exemplary campus for a long time.
It is actually in Southlake and takes in some kids from Southlake as well as Keller.

If you want to try for Westlake Academy you better get in the lottery soon (i may be close for next year though) Kindergarten has the best chance of getting in, after that the spaces are pretty slim for non Westlake residence.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:25 PM

425 posts, read 995,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
Part of Hidden Lakes was re-zoned last year. (but I thought it was to Shady Grove and Hidden Lakes)

If you want to try for Westlake Academy you better get in the lottery soon (i may be close for next year though) Kindergarten has the best chance of getting in, after that the spaces are pretty slim for non Westlake residence.
The lottery for next year closed a month ago. I was just looking at the application after reading this thread, and they have a list of 6 "exemptions" that would qualify a child to be in the lottery - they make it really difficult for the average citizen to get in (even with the lottery), except if you are poor and the parents are uneducated...

Old 04-15-2011, 05:34 PM

358 posts, read 1,075,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatChicagoan View Post
The lottery for next year closed a month ago. I was just looking at the application after reading this thread, and they have a list of 6 "exemptions" that would qualify a child to be in the lottery - they make it really difficult for the average citizen to get in (even with the lottery), except if you are poor and the parents are uneducated...

HUH???? What are you talking about??? What does being poor or uneducated have to do with getting into Westlake? The lottery is exactly that.......... A LOTTERY!! There is absolutely no preference given to anyone because of their economic or educational status.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy24kids View Post
HUH???? What are you talking about??? What does being poor or uneducated have to do with getting into Westlake? The lottery is exactly that.......... A LOTTERY!! There is absolutely no preference given to anyone because of their economic or educational status.
My apologies! I was looking at the application for the Westlake Charter School, not Westlake Academy

In the Enrollment Preferences Survey for Westlake Charter School, it stated that preference would be given to:
"Children in a family, who meet the federal school guidelines for economic support known as "Title One" or "Free or Reduced Lunch" subsidy AND the parents or chief guardians are NOT graduates of a four year college or university..."

I'm happy to know that should I decide to pursue Westlake Academy for my son (never considered it before this afternoon :lol), that it's just like a regular lottery.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:07 PM

OK--that was joke right--since Westlake's Charter school IS Westlake Academy--

having title 1 students might help school qualify for more federal money and I guess putting that qualifier in the charter attemps to blunt the perception that this is school funded by state money (predominately) and with many of the attributes of a private school for children of uber wealthy that live in Westlake
so saying that people who are super poor and less educated than the avg resident of Westlake can go to the head of the line makes it seem less "elitist" (in the negative perception--although elitist is not really a negative connotation if you value excellence)

But putting that qualifier in there is unlikely to draw many students to compete with ones who don't who go through the lottery--
in fact I bet that few people who do qualify understand what an excellent education their children might receive if they had the will to get them to the school
day to day

Old 04-15-2011, 08:09 PM

Loves2Read - no, that's why I got confused - I did a google search for Westlake Charter school, but it turns out there is a Westlake Charter School in Sacramento, and it was on their website that I read the information about how the lottery works.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:13 PM

OK--so there is NO provision for OUR Westlake Academy/Charter school to admit Title 1 children w/o going through the lottery if they live outside Westlake--
that makes a lot more sense from what I know about how the Westlake Board here is operating--

this is link to Westlake TX school
http://www.westlakeacademy.org/visit...Structure.html
it IS a charter school but that word does not appear in its title
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth