Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 06:27 PM

87 posts, read 153,903 times

Advertisements

Someone pointed me in the direction of Haslet and I think it looks great online. Just wondering what it is like....schools look decent. Looks like it has a country feel. How far away is it for grocery stores and hospitals and targets, etc? What do you think of when you hear "Haslet?" Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 07:42 PM

540 posts, read 1,106,137 times
Well, I won't be much help here...don't know anything about Haslet. The only thing I think is...someplace up north that requires messing with I35-W to get to.

Now to be fair, in the last year, I've only been on that stretch of 35W a handful of times...last July going to/from OKC...last August going to/from Kansas...and again last August driving back from Prosper. Each time I-35W between 820 and Keller or farther was nothing but a giant pain in the rear. Especially in the rain.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:14 AM

34 posts, read 64,416 times
I just moved to Haslet about 7 months ago (moved from Houston and temporarily lived in Keller while my house was being built out here). My husband and i LOVE IT! It's so nice and peaceful and the people here are super friendly. Yes it is far up North and dealing with 35 is a hassle, but there are alternatives (depending where you have to commute!)
I guess it depends what part of Haslet you are wanting to move to. I live at the Parks of Willow Ridge off of 287 and we are there is a wal mart 10 mins away in Saginaw, there are plenty of restaurants in Saginaw or in Heritage (15 mins away).
My neighborhood is fairly new and ton of houses being built out here. Yes it kinda gives that country feel, its very nice. There is a 24 emergency about 15 mins as well near heritage. Schools are with Northwest ISD which is a great district, also they are building a new junior high and high school to be complete in 2015 that is alot closer. Send me a private message if you want any more info.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:59 PM

Thanks, txgirl! we are going to be driving around the area early next week. I do have more questions. Do you access eagle mt lake? As a lake how is it doing with the latest drought, do you know? we are really looking for a lake access type neighborhood, but I've been hearing horror stories from my relatives in Austin about the drought and lake levels, etc. Where do you do your grocery shopping? Do you have kids? Do they have rec leagues for sports and things like gymnastics/soccer/basketball around? Thanks so much!

Old 03-26-2013, 01:28 PM

540 posts, read 1,106,137 times
not txgirl, but Haslet is not adjacent (directly) to Eagle Mtn Lake. Per the Tx Parks & Wildlife page (click me!) there are only 2 public boat ramps at Eagle Mtn Lake. Others are fee required privately owned. The ramp closest to Haslet is on Peden Road and is a good 8-10 miles to Haslet (depending on location).

So if you are looking specifically for lake access (ie. on the lake?) Haslet is not it.

The page I linked may give you some ideas of a couple communities/subdivisions on Eagle Mtn. lake.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:17 PM

I can honesty say i've never been to eagle mt lake, so i can't answer that!
I grocery shop in Saginaw (about 5-10 mins away) at the Wal Mart and there is an Albertson's. However Haslet is getting their own Wal Mart being built off 287, its being built now! There is not a target near, the closest one is in Watauga.

I don't have any kids but I plan on it within the year lol, thats why we chose where we built a house, we are walking distance from elementary school and NWISD new jr high and HS are being built by 2015 within a mile from our house! There is a park across the street and i see a little league team practice there every now and then. Good luck! I love Haslet!

Old 03-27-2013, 05:27 AM

Thanks everyone!

TxGirl does your neighborhood feel like a community?

Old 03-27-2013, 06:44 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesick texan View Post
Thanks everyone!

Not to me:>( and HOA is already getting selective.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesick texan View Post
Thanks everyone!

Yes its VERY family friendly /oriented. The neighborhood is small for the time being but there are plans to expand (i saw the master plan and I have it somewhere in my email) and they should begin phase II of the neighborhood in the upcoming months , we should be getting a community pool and i think (not positive) a recreational center. We already have a playground/park/field.

For Christmas all the lights are lit up, we do secret elf around the neighborhood, and for easter we had secret easter bunny or something (pretty much where neighbors annonymously leave you an easter basket of goodies and then you go do it to anther neigbhor..) Thats what secret elf is too. We had a halloween block party for kids, there is a neighborhood men's poker night and women's bunco night. I know they do something at the park for the kids in the summertime. It's really nice and i'm glad to be a part of it. Have had no problems with HOA. If you have kids i would totally recommend it.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:15 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,980,467 times
Not on my A list. Haslet is isolated, remote, group of track home subdivisions, right in the middle of a busy rail corridor, and trucking hub. You'll notice the semitrucks, and active rail road crossings everywhere. It's part of an enormous (in terms of land size) , mediocre, school district that requires long drives just about anywhere you need to go beyond a smattering of typical box store and franchise restaurants. It's attracts people who like new, cookie cutter tract homes at low prices and for whom school quality, and recreation activities are an afterthought. For kids, the recreation activities are low end, and some require long drives even within the local league. Will your kid be able to ride bikes or walk beyond the confines of of the track home division? Likely not, and no reason to. There few if any parks, the busy secondary roads have no sidewalks, no stores nearby. They are stuck in the gulag till you get home, watching hours upon hours of cable tv, playing video games till you drive them somewhere. When Haslet area teams do manage to get a youth sports team together they are roundly beaten in inter-league competition. Horrible extra curricular participations rates when you consider the size of their high school.

Last edited by padcrasher; 03-31-2013 at 02:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth