Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2013, 06:23 PM

5 posts, read 5,907 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! So here goes...I am about to graduate from Arizona State University and have lived in AZ my whole life. My boyfriend and I are have to move to one of three different places so that I can go to graduate school. Forth Worth is one of those places. I would be going to North Texas University, so that's exactly where I would be. Can anyone tell me any information to a potential resident? My boyfriend and I are both 22 and would appreciate any advice given. Also, are there any areas to avoid/look at for living situations around that area? Thank you all in advance for your time and any advice given!! Have a beautiful day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 07:53 PM

11,856 posts, read 26,876,979 times
First, the name of the school is University of North Texas, formerly known at North Texas State University. It's in Denton, which is about 30 miles north of Fort Worth on one of the most congested freeways in the area, which is also about to be undergoing a total reconstruction that will last until 2018. You will not qualify to pay in-state tuition until you have lived in Texas for a full year. Until then, you will pay the considerably higher out-of-state rate.

The DFW area is HUGE. It's larger than the state of Connecticut. You do not want to have to make a lengthy commute here. Driving from one side of the metroplex to the other can take nearly 2 hours in traffic.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:10 PM

540 posts, read 1,105,968 times
Christie....just remember that since the OP said grad school she *may* be referring to the Health Science Center which *is* in FW. Though I admit the post is slightly ambiguous.

lauren...assuming you speaking of the Health Science Center in Fort Worth, housing will all come down to your budget. The HSC is near (might as well say in) the Museum District area just west of the West 7th street area. If your budget stretches that high, that area would be convenient. However, I would assume as a grad student that the area is out of reach.

There are many options in FW depending on budget but in general you would want to avoid the SE quadrant of FW.

You may want to consider using one of the free apartment locator services in the area. They are free to you and could help you identify based on budget and commute where you want to live. Of course, you can share your budget and preferred commute, etc. here and others can chime in with suggestions. One area to consider is around Hulen Street between Vickery & Bellaire Dr. South...that is near the TCU area. Also, a bit further away there are many apartments on Bryant Irvin south of I-20 near Overton Ridge.

The other thing to consider...does your boyfriend have a job lined up yet? As ChristieP mentioned, the DFW metro is huge...and commuting from one side of the metro to the other is to be avoided.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:03 PM

5 posts, read 5,907 times
thank you both for the replies. Yes, I'll be going to graduate school at the Health Sciences Center. Sorry for the confusion. My boyfriend works out of his home so he'll be okay wherever we settle down. However, I do have a car and commuting via that way wouldnt be a problem at all, especially if I have to drive a little farther for something safe and affordable. Our budget right now is around anywhere from $600-$1200 a month. Thank you all!

Old 04-02-2013, 11:47 AM

11,856 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Good deal. Yes, there is a big difference between UNTHSC and UNT main campus!

As I just advised another poster, look in the area around Ridgmar Mall. There will be plenty of apartments there that will fit your budget.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:34 AM

4 posts, read 8,495 times
Hi Lauren,

UNTHSC is just down the street from my house, so I can tell you it's a great area to live (safe, lively, walkable, affordable). There are a number of smaller, older apartments - think 2-story, with like 4 to 12 units each, in the general area. This is a typical one: Google Maps - this is literally one and a half blocks from campus and about ~$850 a month I think. This kind of situation seems to be where a lot of the medical students end up staying. There are also several newer, larger apartments opening up within walking distance of UNTHSC, these are Museum Place (i think the leasing office is called "vue du musee") - with a range of studio, one- and two- bedroom places. These will be more expensive per square foot but nicer, with a pool, fitness center, etc. Also, the West 7th apartments are just down the street, and are walking / biking distance from UNTHSC. All of these would be great options for recent grads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth