Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 05:19 PM

12 posts, read 68,049 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to the Dallas area and are desperately trying to nail down a location to live. My husband is self employed so we don't have to worry about a commute but are basing our decision on Catholic elementary schools (or really any good religion based school) and proximity to a good golf course. Keller seems to be a good possibility- we would like to stay in the 350K range but will be renting for the first year to make sure we like were we are. We prefer newer homes, close to a good golf course and were looking at St. Elizabeth Ann Seton and Holy Trinity Schools. We have a baby, 3 and 5 year old so we will need PK and Kindegarten schools. We are also exploring possibilities in the North suburbs of Dallas but do not want to limit ourselves and have heard good things about this area. Any advice would be very much appreciated as we are bouncing all around. My husband has been there to check things out and Frisco is out due to traffic congestion. Liked McKinney but are having a problem finding a school we like close by. Thank you in advance for any help. Also, if a realtor would like to PM me in regards to rentals, I would love that. I would prefer to rent something we would like to buy so I do not have to move...AGAIN!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 11:26 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,427,044 times
*Cough* Keller is in the Fort Worth suburbs. There is a friendly competition of sorts between Fort Worth and Dallas itself. Keller has a few really nice courses as well as Southlake. Keller has Sky Creek Golf Course that has houses around the course. Fossil Creek Golf Course just south of Keller.

I haven't yet played since I have been here, but a friend of mine and I are going to go soon

The PGA "The Colonial" Tournament at the Colonial Country Club by TCU in Fort Worth is one of the great stops on the tour.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:15 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,258,757 times
Are you looking for public religious schools or private?

Old 12-20-2007, 07:06 AM

[quote=Guingirl;2298215]*Cough* Keller is in the Fort Worth suburbs. There is a friendly competition of sorts between Fort Worth and Dallas itself. Keller has a few really nice courses as well as Southlake. Keller has Sky Creek Golf Course that has houses around the course. Fossil Creek Golf Course just south of Keller.

Thanks so much Guingirl... We were actually looking at Sky Creek as well as the homes that are close by. I don't play golf... always pregnant it seems, but my husband eats, sleeps, and dreams golf. I have to ask what the *cough* was in reference to???

Old 12-20-2007, 08:06 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
WHAT "PUBLIC" religious school would that be--no religious school is subsidized by TX state gov't....ALL religious school are private--but open to the public depending on their standards and those of the customers...

the "cough" was because you equate Dallas area and Keller together---Keller is associated with FTW or Tarrant Co--not Dallas except by people who don't know the area...

Sky Creek is an ok golf course--usually pretty crowded--has houses all around it so out of bounds is tight on several holes--has some trees and water

---there are plenty of good public courses in the Metroplex---
Grapevine Municipal is probably better than Sky Creek and the Texas Star course in Euless that is owned by the city is a great golf course...
Fossil Creek is open to the public althought it is more semi-private--it is right off 820 and 35N--
Flower Mound has Bridlewood golf course that has subdivision built around it--if you did not have to worry about commuting that might be something to consider--Flower Mound is rather difficult to get in and out of because part of it is bounded by Lake Grapevine...
My husband plays at Hyatt Bear Creek which is by DFW airport but you have to get on the list to get reduced membership--he had to wait about a year--noisy but good course...
Tierra Verde golf course in S Arlington has excellent reputation among local golfers and the refurbished Hawk's Creek in west FTW also is open to the public and a great little course....
There are plenty of golf courses open to the public in Tarrant County that are good quality--semi-private courses like the one at 4 Seasons in Irving and real private ones like the FTW country club are little pricey for most people to play on a weekly/daily basis...if you can get in you can afford to play probably...
ST John the Apostle Catholic school is in NRH area inside the 820 Loop
ST Elizabeth Ann Seaton school is part of a HUGH Catholic Church in NW Keller
Holy Trinity Catholic School is off Wm Tate in Grapevine

don't know anything about their +/-s but they are all driveable if you are living fairly close...
Flower Mound is not in Tarrant County--but is close to Grapevine...

Old 12-20-2007, 12:28 PM

=) I love Fort Worth and the area and even though it is only 45 miles from Dallas, it is a world away . Someone told me that Dallas is the last vestiges of the East and Fort Worth is the beginning of the West.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guingirl View Post
=) I love Fort Worth and the area and even though it is only 45 miles from Dallas, it is a world away . Someone told me that Dallas is the last vestiges of the East and Fort Worth is the beginning of the West.
What is it that you like about Fort Worth more? My husband really liked the Keller/Southlake/Hurst/Colleyville area when he was visiting. I won't go there to see for myself until we move so I am relying on these boards for advice. Last time he picked the place to live, we ended up in a retirement community that hates kids. I have a 5, 3, and 1 year old. How fun for me!!!

Old 12-20-2007, 10:33 PM

Thank you loves2read- I copied all of the information to my husband so he can check out courses and locations! I had not heard of a public religious school so I was glad to hear you second that. Thanks again for all of the great info!

Old 12-20-2007, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by three4now View Post
What is it that you like about Fort Worth more? My husband really liked the Keller/Southlake/Hurst/Colleyville area when he was visiting. I won't go there to see for myself until we move so I am relying on these boards for advice. Last time he picked the place to live, we ended up in a retirement community that hates kids. I have a 5, 3, and 1 year old. How fun for me!!!
I love it because it reminds me of the good things of my old hometown, but with quite a few other positives that I hadn't anticipated. Quality of life is so much better for us and generally people are much nicer here. There is also a feeling (for me at least - not sure if it is just because I moved from where I had lived all my life), but that anything is really possible if you put your heart into it.

Old 12-26-2007, 09:20 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,889,306 times
Sky creek course sits in the middle of Hidden Lakes, A master planned community.

I would suggest looking at houses in there if your husband is an avid golfer. Yes, there are nicer courses etc... but to be able to just go down the block and get in a few holes etc... could be very VERY nice since you have 3 small ones.
heres the link http://www.hlhoa.com/ there are several subdivisions that encompass the Hidden lakes community.

For $350 you should do fine. That ended up being our top off number and we took a house that was listed for $330 and had an offer accepted for $300k.

Good luck. so far I really like Keller, the community and the proximity to everything else in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth