Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 04:19 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,102,856 times

Advertisements

Rolling through a stop sign when it is raining, dark street, hard to see, so much that you had trouble seeing the stop sign, sounds like a dangerous situation where you really should stop before proceeding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 03:12 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,320,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Colleyville is notorious for speed traps on 26 and stop sign tickets like this. Yes, the PD there really does have time to help generate revenue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
LOL, acting like Colleyville is some major city. The cops in that city don't have time for anything else other than this. It was definitely sport. You do the same thing in Fort Worth or Dallas and the cop wouldn't do anything.
I just read this blog post from the Dallas Observer, thought of this thread, and laughed hysterically.

Biggest North Texas Speed Trap Cities of 2014 | Dallas Observer

Colleyville doesn't even come in the top 44 in larger cities (>15k residents) in North Texas when it comes to writing traffic tickets. Behind such thriving metropolises as Arlington, Fort Worth, and Dallas.

But, hey, guys. Carry on with your regular campaigns of misinformation, despite what the facts report.

Old 01-14-2015, 03:45 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,968,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbb303 View Post
I just read this blog post from the Dallas Observer, thought of this thread, and laughed hysterically.

Biggest North Texas Speed Trap Cities of 2014 | Dallas Observer

Colleyville doesn't even come in the top 44 in larger cities (>15k residents) in North Texas when it comes to writing traffic tickets. Behind such thriving metropolises as Arlington, Fort Worth, and Dallas.

But, hey, guys. Carry on with your regular campaigns of misinformation, despite what the facts report.
That list makes perfect sense. The larger cities (outside of a few) and the ones with more commercial/retail activity have the most tickets per capita. No one goes through Colleyville. Still, this doesn't mean the cop who gave OP a ticket wasn't parked waiting for someone to roll through. IDK what happened.

Old 01-14-2015, 04:14 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,650,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
That list makes perfect sense. The larger cities (outside of a few) and the ones with more commercial/retail activity have the most tickets per capita. No one goes through Colleyville. Still, this doesn't mean the cop who gave OP a ticket wasn't parked waiting for someone to roll through. IDK what happened.
Exactly. At least some of those cities have large amounts of retail relative to the residential population. You're going to have "traffic" disproportionate to the number of residents in the municipality.

I'm sure at least some of the cops in those top areas will write up some nit picky violations. That said, I work in Addison so I'm regularly driving through 5 of the top 8 and don't have a ticket yet. (knock on wood, I may have just jinxed myself)

Old 01-14-2015, 09:12 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,929,795 times
what intersection?
I drive around Colleyville a lot--probably know where you got the ticket--
I am frankly surprised because unless I am driving on Hwy 26 or Cheek Sparger I rarely see a Colleyville policeman...
especially at night in a rain storm...

Old 01-15-2015, 05:07 AM

394 posts, read 1,257,953 times
I have seen them parked at one corner off of Brown Trail lying in wait just as you are leaving (or entering) into Bedford coming from (or going towards) Hwy 26. Those stop signs are very prominent, though. That it the only time I see Colleyville PD, except on Cheek Sparger.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:30 AM
Mvc

175 posts, read 183,786 times
That is purely a revenue generator. Everyone saying 'you got what you deserve' are (IMO) clueless know-it-alls, $190 is ridicuous for that and anyone who says otherwise is a moron. Watch out on Hall-Johnson between 26 and Joe Poole that is a very frequent area for being pulled over and speed limit is 30 there.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:44 PM

111 posts, read 238,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbb303 View Post
$190 is about par for the course for any traffic violation in any city, be it speeding, running a stop sign, etc. If you think that's steep, try getting one in a school zone or a construction area. Don't pay the $190 fine straight up and let it go on your record. There should be plea options for deferred disposition or defensive driving that bring the fine down and keep it off of your record.

Take a ride along with a local officer some time on a night shift and see if they really have time to hunker down and watch particular trouble spots purely for the sport of "revenue generation". I can assure you they don't, especially in a town as spread out as Colleyville. Bottom line: you broke the law and the officer did his/her job. There's one way for you to keep from getting tickets in the future.

Actually - in Colleyville I would believe cops DO have time to sit around waiting for revenue generation opportunities.

Never gotten a ticket there (by some degree of luck), but I have seen plenty of Colleyville police laying in wait for victims (including being parked in spots that could only be considered dangerous to other motorists, not to mention themselves). I actually asked a policeman once what he was looking for parked in such a semi-dangerous spot (when I saw him later at a fast food restaurant). He said "expired safety inspection stickers".

I'm sure the official idea is to "increase safety", but my observation is the city uses its police as revenue agents as well.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:37 AM

17,403 posts, read 11,992,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvc View Post
That is purely a revenue generator. Everyone saying 'you got what you deserve' are (IMO) clueless know-it-alls, $190 is ridicuous for that and anyone who says otherwise is a moron. Watch out on Hall-Johnson between 26 and Joe Poole that is a very frequent area for being pulled over and speed limit is 30 there.
IF people weren't speeding, there would be no tickets, and no revenue.

IF people weren't speeding, that area wouldn't have people frequently being pulled over.

Do people get pulled over for speeding when they are going the speed limit? NO!

I drive that particular section of Hall-Johnson ALL THE TIME. I have NEVER gotten pulled over. Oh, wait, I GO THE SPEED LIMIT. If you can't see those 30 mph signs, I guess you're the moron.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:24 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,929,795 times
still waiting on what intersection
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth