Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 11:37 AM

49 posts, read 60,234 times

Advertisements

I don't know, man. I just had Babes for lunch and it was fantastic. There is no way that qualifies as "terrible".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 08:49 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,103,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerandon View Post
I don't know, man. I just had Babes for lunch and it was fantastic. There is no way that qualifies as "terrible".
So, this thread put Babes on your mind for lunch today, huh?!? LOL, that's hilarious.

I guess from my point of view, it's kinda like somebody in Texas raving about how good a pizza restaurant or Philly cheesesteak joint is, and a person who actually grew up in NYC or Philly on authentic New York pizza or authentic cheesestakes realizing it doesn't even come close to the real thing, and kinda shaking their head at the locals who rave about it and thinking, "They just don't know!!!" That's the best way I can explain it.

Glad you enjoyed your Babes, though.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:35 AM

No, it was a work function lunch and merely a coincidence I went there.

We will have to agree to disagree.

Fried chicken has like 5 main ingredients in it and you mean to tell me it is that different? To me, that sounds like predetermined bias towards something. It might not be exactly what you grew up on, but it can still be good. No one is claiming Babes to be "authentic Mississippi soul food chicken found next to the river cooked by someones grandmother". It's some lady from Roanoke that had a pretty darn good recipe for crispy chicken. Enjoy it for what it is. I prefer Gus', if I had to chose, but there's still a place in my heart for Babes and those crispy bits that fall off onto my plate and get mixed in with the cream corn.

And good pizza is everywhere. By that reasoning, pizza from NYC is not real pizza either.

Last edited by beerandon; 02-07-2018 at 08:26 AM..

Old 02-07-2018, 08:43 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,103,938 times
Quote:
No, it was a work function lunch and merely a coincidence I went there.

We will have to agree to disagree.

Fried chicken has like 5 main ingredients in it and you mean to tell me it is that different? To me, that sounds like predetermined bias towards something. It might not be exactly what you grew up on, but it can still be good. No one is claiming Babes to be "authentic Mississippi soul food chicken found next to the river cooked by someones grandmother". It's some lady from Roanoke that had a pretty darn good recipe for crispy chicken. Enjoy it for what it is. I prefer Gus', if I had to chose, but there's still a place in my heart for Babes and those crispy bits that fall off onto my plate and get mixed in with the cream corn.

And good pizza is everywhere. By that reasoning, pizza from NYC is not real pizza either.

Well, your bar is clearly very low, so it's quite obvious why you can't tell the difference between what's great tasting and what's better in certain regions and what's not even close to it. So yeah, we WILL have to agree to disagree. Keep on enjoying your KFC and Totino's. Peace.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:17 AM

Don't have to be offensive. I don't eat KFC or Totino's. Thank you. My bar is not low, my bar just isn't an elitist who scoffs at anything that's not from the region it originated from. If you can't enjoy a pizza not from New York, I feel sorry for you.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:33 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,773,290 times
I agree with beerandon on this. I have never eaten at Babe's, so won't comment on that, but the fact is, you can't define certain foods by regions with no exceptions. That is condescending in the ultimate manner. Of course there is more of an abundance of known specialties in different regions of the county and sure, it's the old being good for what you're known for, but to actually limit the possibility of finding the same specialty and it being good in another region as impossible is insane. I guess it comes down to the fact some people feel they are required to have bragging rights to something even if it is only soul food.

Since this thread started with catfish, I'll add my 2 cents worth on that. To me, the best fried catfish is going to start with the fish itself and that's where I'm pretty picky. Restaurants usually buy a commercially produced product and who knows what you're getting. I've bought a package of Delta Pride catfish once at Sam's that tasted like what I would imagine what we call mudcats here would taste like. Horrible, dirt/muddy tasting.

We've caught catfish in various lakes, rivers, stock tanks, streams and you bet there is a varying taste to the fish. Some of the prettiest catfish meat I've seen was on some huge yellow cats caught in Lake Tawakoni, but actually a lot of the meat wasn't good to eat, it tasted pithy like an overgrown radish. I've eaten some of the best blue cats out of Eagle Mountain Lake and great tasting channel cats out of the Brazos River.

All I'm saying is, preparation is a key-point alright, but it's got to start with the fish. So, let's say you had some of your best catfish eating (for starters) experiences in Mississippi, how does that bring it down to your claim no other region can match or excel it?

This goes on into your area of fried chicken and pizza. Really? You honesty think the only people who can fix good fried chicken are in Mississippi. That it's Mississippi soul cooking or it's bad? You also need to realize a restaurant chain's food will taste the same no matter where it is located and that includes the Delta as well as DT Dallas or NYC and while some chains may not offer up the same dining experience as a Mom & Pop home cooking cafe, it's is not reason enough to blast them as being horrible.

As to your overall regional theory, I have to laugh. Sure, I've had some great soul food in New Orleans, but to say it can't be duplicated right here in North Texas is nothing short of arrogance. Furthermore, the people of Chicago would probably disagree with your assessment of pizza and there's probably some from the Old Country that would downright laugh you out of the house on all of it.

But we all have our own opinions, don't we?

Old 02-07-2018, 11:02 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,203,228 times
Quote:
Don't have to be offensive. I don't eat KFC or Totino's. Thank you. My bar is not low, my bar just isn't an elitist who scoffs at anything that's not from the region it originated from. If you can't enjoy a pizza not from New York, I feel sorry for you.
Don't waste any time feeling sorry for this guy. Enjoy what you enjoy. And be glad you'll never be stuck breaking pizza – or chicken – with him and actually have to listen to his pontificating.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:11 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,773,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post
Don't waste any time feeling sorry for this guy. Enjoy what you enjoy. And be glad you'll never be stuck breaking pizza – or chicken – with him and actually have to listen to his pontificating.
Bingo!

Old 02-07-2018, 01:16 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,316,643 times
If you look down on Totino's Pizza, I'm pretty sure you hate America. And puppies. And cute babies.

Old 02-08-2018, 02:17 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,316,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
Drove by the Lisa's Chicken on University Drive, the one before you get to 7th Street.

It was open for business with NO "for sale" sign.

I was relieved.
Not sure what you were seeing, but it's definitely closed and the parking lot has a chain link fence around. At least as of 30 minutes ago when I drove by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth