Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 10:15 AM

6 posts, read 16,909 times

Advertisements

I am hoping to get advise about getting hired and certified in Fort Worth, TX. I have applied through SBEC for a review of my credentials. I have also applied online through several ISDs in the area. I could stay in Florida this school year but my husband will start a new job in Fort Worth soon and I don't want our 2 kids seperated from him for long. Please help with any advice you may have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 10:36 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
do a search and read the posts about teaching and education in the fort worth area
you don't say what your certification is in but there are lots of elementary teachers looking for work and secondary teachers -- if you are in special area like math or science--especially secondary you will probably get a job more easily than someone in elementary ed or english...

check out the region 11 web site that has all districts in FTW area listed
Education Service Center Region XI (http://www.esc11.net/escrxi/site/Directory_List.asp?byType=43 - broken link)
there are links to the different public ISDs--many of them post their openings on their district web site but some don't
Lewisville is a good district with lots of schools that is seeing continued growth--
FTW ISD is not one I would really want to teach in
HEB, Birdville, Grapevine-Colleyville, Keller ISDs are all very popular and difficult to get hired with...

this also has links to charter schools--which are funded by state money but not allied to any one district and take students via open application basically--they pay less than most ISDs in this area

private schools which may or may not have a religious connection and also usually pay less than most public ISDs...

most districts have done their big hiring by now--the jobs that come open before school are ones that are due to unexpected changes like a teacher taking job in new district or promotion to admin position--maybe having to move due to spouse relocation or leave for illness...
they often are not really put on the district's web site because they are open quick and filled quick--
IMO--filling out applications on-line is like throwing an application from a moving car at the school mail box---I know so few people who were actually hired because they did that--it is way too passive--it is the district's attempt to screen applicatants because of the language of the replies and try to keep people out of the principals' offices looking for jobs...
I know that districts say DON"T call or mail applications to principals but in most districts THEY are the ones who do the hiring and they rarely go to the human services dept to cull through applications...if you are lucky enough to have your application on a desk when there is a summer opening--you might be lucky enough to get interview...

Old 07-17-2008, 01:58 PM

Thanks for the info. I do have a friend teaching in Keller so I am hoping to get in there. FYI, I am certified K-6.

Old 07-17-2008, 03:19 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,611,753 times
One thing you will likely need is to be ESL certified or they probably won't even consider you in the K-6 level.
I've got a close friend who taught for many years, then ran her own business (child care) for 17 yrs before selling it. When she inquired as to teaching Kindergarten she found she couldn't get hired without having that certification even with her Master's, previous teaching experience and certification here in Texas.

My oldest daughter teaches 4th grade and from her graduating class there were about 4 that didn't get jobs that fall after graduation. Those who did get jobs pretty much all got one where they had interned their senior year. Since she's been teaching the last two years, her school has not hired anyone that wasn't from within the district or from the intern program.

It might be a better way to start in a substituting position where you think you might like to work and get to know the admin there to help pave the way into the school.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:53 PM

Thanks. I am working on my ESL and math k-12 cert currently. I know the math will at least get me in. Thanks again.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:50 PM

it is state law--not just a district decision that a teacher must have the ESL addendum--that is something that can be provisional to acquire in the first year of probation if the school wants you badly enough
you take the test I think vs having to actually do the course hours--so if you are good at teaching yourself that is somethng you might could do fairly painlessly...

it is just a bad time of the year to be trying to get a job--many schools are out on vacation--and they have filled most of their spots--but this is the time you can get lucky--
my son left one teaching job and a charter school and tried to get hired at other public districts in our area w/o much success--public principals don't like charter schools or charter school teachers most of the time...
he turned in application to Highland Park ISD in Dallas and got called about an interview the next week--they had someone who had an emergency come up and they needed to fill an English spot asap--
he went for interview that afternoon and they offer him the job a couple of hours later...I was very surprised and I guess he interviewed ok and they were desparate probably---he was there 3 or 4 years and before going back to college full time to finish his masters

Keller is pretty big and Lewisville
Northwest is growing as well
but you can't be too choosy--being a sub in a district you want to work in is not a guaranteed way to get job offer when one comes open]
one of my old principals used to never hire subs for permanent jobs because good subs were too hard to find and if they was willing to work as subs it was almost better to keep them there...

Old 07-21-2008, 06:30 AM

Thanks. I just got word that Dallas is still filling positions. I will get my resume out there.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:36 AM

I would consider Dallas ISD last resort especially if your husband is working in FTW--
look at the map= Dallas ISD is spread all over Dallas county (to a certain extent)
Irving--Arlington--Lewisville--HEB ISD--Grapevine Colleyville ISD--Keller--Birdville ISD--
they are all closer to Fort Worth
how early are you willing to get up to start your commute
and the commute time is not that great either way--183 is clogged most drive times and so is the 114/635 rt

Old 07-21-2008, 11:15 AM

Thanks for the info. Everyone has been so helpful. We have friends in Fort Worth and we like that area. My husband will be in Nacogdoches Mon-Fri and home on the weekends so we could pretty much live anywhere in the Dallas/FW area and still be close to our friends.
He got hired as a land man.
Does anyone know approximately how long it takes to get a reply from the SBEC for a temp cert?? I emailed them and haven't gotten a reply. It's been 6 weeks since I submitted my info.
Thanks again!!

Old 07-21-2008, 09:25 PM

just for my own info--has your husband done land work before?
a lot of that work is contract work--per diem--is he working as a broker or for a company--I guess I mean wouldn't you be better of in Nacogdoches as a family?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth