Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2008, 11:36 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times

Advertisements

article in todays ftw paper about NRH city council giving the ok to drill on park/undeveloped land city of NRH owns between Tarrant Co Parkway and Continental trail--well site to bein the NW corner of the land--
only problem--that backs up to Highland Creek Estates in KELLER--
cool huh--NRH city council giving ok for rig to go in that will DEFINITELY affect more Keller residents than NRH residents--closer to their homes than the people who live on Continental Trail S of there
area across TCP is in Keller as well

North Richland Hills OKs drilling at Little Bear Creek Park | Business | Star-Telegram.com (broken link)

Google Maps
check creekridge drive in North Richland Hills, TX
doesn't seem too fair in lots of ways
and right now there are quite a few homes for sale in that subdivision--wonder how many people actually own mineral rights and will be getting anything from having a well in their back yards
this drilling is being done by two companies--one of them an Exxon offshoot...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 04:06 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,611,753 times
I'd have to drive back down North Tarrant Pkwy to see exactly where that is, but it most certainly is NOT directly facing the Keller Walmart! (neighborhood grocery, not super) haha

There was a well drilled on Hightower right off Rufe Snow last year that didn't take long to get up and running, and then back down and done. It had a whole subdivision right behind it, apartments across from it and an individual home directly beside it.

The official information says the noisy part of the process is only about 5-6 days and I have to think that is accurate or there would have been numerous complaints and there were none. It wasn't a big deal at all from anything I saw/heard/read.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:26 AM

I didnn't say it was across from WalMart and neither does the article but my husband thinks it is --don't know where he/other people got that idea --there IS open tract across from WalMart but the city does not own that--it is probably going to go retail with maybe some homes thown into the mix although I don't know the zoning for sure---

regarding annoyances--drilling rigs can take a long time to drill Barnett Shale wells because they usually drill more than one well from the site--it is directional drilling in that they will drill any wells they have lease for in a 360 degree area--they will go out horizontally at a certain depth until they are over the area they want to tap and then go down vertically--legally they are not supposed to drill in a diagonal manner to get to where they want to go--they are supposed to have more like a 90 degree angle vs a 45 one--they could go out a mile or more in any direction from a drill site--like spokes on a wagon wheel
I would imagine that they are going to leave a compressor setup on that site after the wells are done--that is not mentioned in the article but compressor stations are long-term and have some negatives that a well site does not--once the well is drilled and the rig taken away--a compressor station is much more visible--can't really be shielded from view by covering it up in a bldg--has to be open to the air---lightening has been known to strike comperssor stations which can be dangerous since they normally withdraw volital gases/liquids from the condensate they are passing into pipelines...

this article has a picture of what a compressor station can look like--this one is bigger than some--it is also referencing noise abatement project done because of complaints of someone close to the unit
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN

and then this blog site from someone in Tarrant co

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DG

it is difficult to find a site to use for drilling in this urban environment when so much land has gone residential or retail--
in other open areas--rural or ranch land--they could move the rig to the drilling site and just go straight down which is what they do with more shallow wells--they have a lease and have 5-10-100 drill sites depending on the field...
so the more wells they want to drill the longer the rig will stay--
and they may have to wait between drilling to see about results coming back since some wells start strong but have problems soon after...
when a rig is running it works 24/7 except for down time and it is to the benefit of the drilling company who is contracted to drill the well and the operating company who has the lease and is paying to have the well drilled to work as many hours in that 24 they can--the lights are on at night--cars/trucks can go in and out at any hour and there is noise associated with drilling that goes on as long as the drilling does--

check out some of the complaints by people in west FTW like Aledo and Benbrook areas after they had drilling close to their properties...
Have you watched the show on cable called Black Gold--while there are some parts of it that are kind of contrived--you get a pretty good idea of the noise/activity levels from watching it...

Last edited by loves2read; 07-18-2008 at 08:42 AM..

Old 07-18-2008, 10:07 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,611,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I didnn't say it was across from WalMart and neither does the article but my husband thinks it is --don't know where he/other people got that idea --there IS open tract across from WalMart but the city does not own that--it is probably going to go retail with maybe some homes thown into the mix although I don't know the zoning for sure---
Actually the article DOES state that it is facing the Keller Walmart. Otherwise I wouldn't have brought that up.

Regarding noise...my experience is that the noise has been minimal. Come drive down Hightower off Rufe Snow and see what's currently there and I think you might be surprised at how small it actually is. Also, if you stop at the school playground that's diagonally across the street you won't hear any noise. My kids have played on that playground for months as it's also a city park and we never had any issue hearing loud noise from this drill site. This particular rig we watched within about a 2 month time frame from start to finish and it was actually quite facinating. I drive that street almost daily and although it's not in my backyard, it's certainly within hearing distance and it's never been a problem.

Are there rigs that are huge noisy ones? Yep. Are there people who have major issues with some close to them? Yep. Are they an eyesore? To most people.

My point is that they aren't always like that. They are not necessarily the bad monster people make them out to be. I've found that the most complaining done is by people who have no experience with them at all and just the thought of one sets them off. I'm just trying to balance that out with some actual experience.

And no I don't work for anyone or any company that is connected and I rent so I have no connection to any money made either. I just like to look at both sides of issues.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:22 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
article in todays ftw paper about NRH city council giving the ok to drill on park/undeveloped land city of NRH owns between Tarrant Co Parkway and Continental trail--well site to bein the NW corner of the land--
only problem--that backs up to Highland Creek Estates in KELLER--
cool huh--NRH city council giving ok for rig to go in that will DEFINITELY affect more Keller residents than NRH residents--closer to their homes than the people who live on Continental Trail S of there
area across TCP is in Keller as well

North Richland Hills OKs drilling at Little Bear Creek Park | Business | Star-Telegram.com (broken link)

Google Maps
check creekridge drive in North Richland Hills, TX
doesn't seem too fair in lots of ways
and right now there are quite a few homes for sale in that subdivision--wonder how many people actually own mineral rights and will be getting anything from having a well in their back yards
this drilling is being done by two companies--one of them an Exxon offshoot...
What's the problem exactly? To drill Barnett Shale you have to have a top drive rig, which is considerably less noisy than the old mechanical rigs and most of the drillsite leases these days provide for sound barriers around the location. The rig will be in and out of the residents' lives in 30 days or less. Shortly thereafter a stimulation crew will move a bunch of trucks in to fracture the well. That will be more noisy, but only during the daylight hours and for five days or less. It shouldn't be a big deal and as the sweetest spots in the Barnett seem to be in heavily populated areas, operators have been forced to develop procedures for minimal invasiveness to the surrrounding communities. With repetition and lessons learned, they've gotten pretty good at it.

I do work for somebody and I can assure you that we jump through a veritable maze of hoops to keep chemicals off the ground and noise/exposure to the community at a bare minimum. As someone who has been on the rigs, in a community close to a rig as well as being a parent, I can tell you that if you want to rid your life of disturbance you're going to do so much more efficiently by putting your kids up for adoption rather than pitching a fit about someone drilling a well nearby.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:16 PM

guess I missed the mention of it being across from the Wal-Mart--but the map and the story don't agree--there is WalMart on Rufe Snow but it is not close to the drill site from where the map put it--

Jimbo--my husband works in o/g--I am not saying they are bad guys
How many well perforations can they drill and case in 30 days if they are doing multiple wells from one rig site?

And the fact is that as a parent you have much more direct control over your children than someone whose house backs up to a drill site, who does not own any minerals, and is not a resident of the town where the well is located...I am sure that the drilling operator does not want to make any enemies--but drilling a well is an experiment in the laws of natural science and physics--you are testing a hypothesis when drilling--and problems can always occur

and if they do put a compressor station there that is an ongoing concern...it does not go away in 30 days

Last edited by loves2read; 07-18-2008 at 09:28 PM..

Old 07-21-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
guess I missed the mention of it being across from the Wal-Mart--but the map and the story don't agree--there is WalMart on Rufe Snow but it is not close to the drill site from where the map put it--

Jimbo--my husband works in o/g--I am not saying they are bad guys
How many well perforations can they drill and case in 30 days if they are doing multiple wells from one rig site?

And the fact is that as a parent you have much more direct control over your children than someone whose house backs up to a drill site, who does not own any minerals, and is not a resident of the town where the well is located...I am sure that the drilling operator does not want to make any enemies--but drilling a well is an experiment in the laws of natural science and physics--you are testing a hypothesis when drilling--and problems can always occur

and if they do put a compressor station there that is an ongoing concern...it does not go away in 30 days
I apologize if I sounded a little snippety. A few years ago I had a picket line at one of my locations to the effect of "PALO PINTO CAN HAPPEN HERE!!" and have been bent out of shape ever since.

Really, they can't drill and complete more than one well at a time from a single pad. It's true that they may drill multiple wells from a single location, particularly in populated areas, but there are definitely limitations to that approach.

While it is alsotrue that natural gas wells are like a box of chocolates, the Barnett has become very well defined and the procedure has become rather routine. Generally speaking, the operator is going to be prepared for anything they encounter.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:00 AM

article in todays paper about the compressor station standards for ftw--some people are starting to become more concerned about them since they are around permanently
and of course want the least amount of discomfort from them...

Old 07-22-2008, 07:23 AM

Quote:
article in todays paper about the compressor station standards for ftw--some people are starting to become more concerned about them since they are around permanently
and of course want the least amount of discomfort from them...
I don't think that the compressor sub-stations are going to be placed on a well pad. The compressors are generally placed adjacent to the high pressure, high capacity pipelines that feed the gas purchasing plant. You can't tie wells into high-pressure lines as it would kill the wells. Instead, you have several wells tied into a compressor sub that feeds the high pressure line. The closer the compressor is to the big line, the cheaper it will be to buy ROW's and lay the pipe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth