Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 11:51 AM

5 posts, read 41,447 times

Advertisements

My Husband is looking at returning home to Texas and to be around his family. I have no idea about anything in the area. We have no jobs lined up so what area is still open, but my sister in law lives is Cleaburne and we'd like to be no more then an hour or two out from her. I've never lived anywhere besides Michigan but i've agreed we should move because the economy is so much better in Texas. We are thinking of moving in the summer of 2008.

Here are my questions.

1. My daughter who's 9 has Aspergers and we need a school system that is autism friendly. She is in the mainstream schools currently and she is high funtioning. And we also have a 3 year old son.

2. My husband and i would like land....

3. We are a young family that doesn't have a lot of money.....

4. Husband misses Grandy's.......cuz you can get chicken fried steak through the drive through.

Ok, i guess those are more statements then anything

So really any information you can give this Yankee would be so appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2007, 10:21 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Default probably not current info

when we moved to DFW area 20+ years ago from Louisiana--we moved to HEB because we had friends who lived and taught here and that district had state-wide reputation for its special education department---I know of at least two people in my subdivision alone who moved were transferred from out of state and relocated here because they had Down's Syndrome children. They were very happy...but I don't know what the situation is now---sometimes a district with top test scores and progressive programs like Carroll ISD or Grapevine-Colleyville ISD is not really the best place for a child with special needs because they are too focused on the accelerating students...

I would contact the districts you think would work for you that would be within an hour of your family--maybe even try the Cleburn ISD itself which I am not familiar with--obviously housing costs would be prime concern since you need to live in the district---special needs children have option to be bussed to specific school they should attend within that district, I think...so whether you live in that school's zone or not may not matter--

Old 03-05-2007, 08:11 AM

Thank you for replying to me

I'll look into HEB......is that a town or something else....maybe my husband will know....I'm so clueless and scared. Like i said, i've never lived anywhere else besides Michigan. but Texas is home for my husband.....so off we go....

Jenny

Old 03-05-2007, 10:10 AM

1,082 posts, read 3,780,296 times
Jenny, I wish you well. We are transferring to Texas with our 13 yr old son who has AS. So I am right there with you!
MBG

Old 03-05-2007, 10:15 AM

We'll if you get t here 1st, you let me know what you find out...we aren't moving for a year yet....we don't even have jobs lined up! Husband just wants to move home, and MIchigan sucks. so we are hoping to sell the house and move and live on the profit till we find jobs.....

Old 03-05-2007, 11:00 AM

1,082 posts, read 3,780,296 times
Well, our move should be in a few months. I will let you know what I find out. In the mean time check this out:
http://www.aspergerinfo.org/

MBG

Old 03-05-2007, 12:13 PM

Thanks for the link! I'll check it out now!

Old 03-16-2007, 10:26 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
HEB is Hurst Euless Bedford ISD---three towns between Dallas and Fort Worth north of Arlington off Highway 183

Old 03-17-2007, 03:25 PM

7 posts, read 54,783 times
Default I am also from Michigan and moved to Texas 5 years ago :)

Most of the time you will LOVE living in Texas....like the winters, the weather is pleasant and in the 70's right now....while you shovel and bundle kiddos up in snow gear for school, we rarely need winter coats, hats, gloves & almost never need boots if you can imagine that! Yeah for no wet snow pants, coats, boots & mittens coming home from school and needing dried out before the next day...only to go through it all again Gosh, I hated that part of living in Michigan. On the other side, Texas summers can be harse and long! Be sure you look for a development that has a community pool. You will find that after a hot day (MANY in the high 90's & 100's) a nice dip in the pool will get you through the summer The only saving grace is that the humidity is not high here. When we lived in Michigan, from birth until I was 25 (Saint Joseph, the SW corner on Lake Michigan) it would be 80 and feel like 100 because of the humidity. Best of success and if I can help in anyway, just ask

Old 08-02-2007, 09:59 AM

14 posts, read 65,848 times
Default Help!!! Moving in 3 weeks~~ last minute change

I really need help. We are moving from the gulf coast in three weeks. In interviewing realtors we are not going to make as much on our home as we thought so we are scrambling. We can afford 200-250 for a home. We were sold on Grapevine, however I am not seeing too many homes priced in that area that I like.... so we are now researching the communities of Hurst, Euless, Bedford, and Flowermound or anywhere in a close proximity of a drive to the DFW Airport. My 4 year old son is incrediblly intelligent, he has Aspergers we really need an excellent special education program, we anticipate he will not need this program by the time he enters kindegarden in two years. We were thinking about Keller, however we were told traffic during rush hour on the way to the airport was too crazy and my husband doesn't want to commutte longer than 20 minutes. I like newer homes or older homes that have been renovated. I'm not much into airport noise or criminals, shopping is important too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth