Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 08:52 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,931,364 times

Advertisements

Definitely not desert. More like below; I took these near my home in Hurst, just northeast of FW in December of last year.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2007, 09:32 AM

49 posts, read 251,780 times
Beautiful! Thanks for the pictures! I really didn't expect to see so many trees- we were worried about missing the trees, as there are so many in VA.

Old 03-11-2007, 03:57 AM

62 posts, read 283,374 times
You want to stay away from those areas. You need to stay in an area with more diversity, crime and unemployment and avoid the headaches of modern capitalism and religion. However, personally I would look at the Aledo area .

Old 03-11-2007, 07:22 AM

Javak- so are you saying the Aledo area is more diverse? I have done some more reading on these boards and I think you are right- Cleburne would probably not be the right fit.
I also saw some reference to 'dry counties' so I guess there are counties that do not sell alcohol at all? And which of the southwest counties are they?
I love these message boards- you just cant find 'real' information by looking at a communities website.

Old 03-11-2007, 05:30 PM

Actually you probably won't like any of the towns because the people tend to make their own decisions concerning their livelyhoods . You would probably fit in
better in the Dallas or Austin area where the government helps to mandate the peoples will for them . However, Dallas has many dry areas as well

Old 03-11-2007, 06:57 PM

wow- I don't know why you feel the need for the personal attack. I certainly do not mind that people make up their own minds- in fact I was worried about the opposite- people snubbing us because we don't share their beliefs. At the time of my original post, I wasn't even THAT concerned, but did think that I should go ahead and ask the questions I was curious about. I didn't say anything negative, merely stated that we were liberal and asked if we would fit in or stick out. I ALSO asked alot of other questions- like school districts, what the area looks like, etc.
I just don't see why you need to be nasty.
We might be moving half way across the country- to a place we have never been. I would like to make an educated decision about the place we may spend the rest of our life. I am sorry if that offends you.
In the meantime- if anyone else has any helpful information/pictures anything on Burleson/Joshua area or Weatherford/Aledo area I would GREATLY appreciate any info. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:56 PM

Default Just trying to help

I was only trying to help you . Aledo is great place to raise a family . However, you may find enough of what your looking for .

Old 03-16-2007, 10:59 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times
there are plenty of blue collar, working class poor people in Weatherford and other areas of Parker county --- not everyone who lives there is TX rancher or cutting horse afficianado like the WalMart heiress...
and lots of Parker county might look like desert to someone who is living in Virginia--there is spare ground cover, few trees and less rainfall because of the drought we are in....
Weatherford is a growing ranching town that has a nice college and has a long history behind it...they would never see themselves as a suburb of Fort Worth--because of the move westward into and past Aledo for homes with more land and less expensive prices, there are more shopping areas than there were 5 years ago---Weatherford is seeing similar growth--some people are going the 10-20 acre ranchettes and there are smaller subdivisions going in----Brock is one town that has its own ISD--don't know much about it---but there are several in that area in addition to the larger towns of Burleson and Crowley, Joshua, Alvarado and Benbrooke...

Use Mapquest to get some driving distances to and from Comanche Peak to any town and then add about 5-10 min each way---those times aren't tied to real conditions...

Living in Joshua or Cleburne or Granbury and going back and forth to Fort Worth each day would not be worth it to my husband--too far and time consuming---too much like living in Houston...Jushua is off I 35 but light on the shopping/entertainment conveniences in any real measure...Cleburne is nice small town--WalMart and couple of stores like that but no mall shopping...they have their own school districts--you can get information on their web sites...
search this board's search site for TEA and you should find links I posted weeks ago for information sites...

Old 03-17-2007, 06:15 AM

Thanks! Yes, you are right- some of the pictures I have found of that area do seem almost desert like (though I have been to the desert many times and know what it really looks like) I think we have narrowed the areas we are looking at down to Aledo/south Weatherford and South Burleson/Joshua areas because that will be about a 45 minute commute for my DH. He is going for his interview this next week, so he will look around and see just how long it would really take and if those areas would suit us. So far though we are mostly intersted in Aledo because of the schools. We were really hoping to find an older house but Aledo seems mostly new. I guess we will see!
We are very excited- Hopefully my husband gets the job! My oldest DS has even been teaching my 2 year old how to say 'Howdy Y'all!' And he has his own questions and concerns about Texas, but all his knowledge of Texas comes from SpongeBob
And can someone please tell me- what the heck is Horse Cutting?

Old 03-20-2007, 06:43 AM

Another question! Are there any gyms in the areas of Aledo or Burleson? I tried to do a search for them, but I didn't really find anything. I looked at YMCAs and it looks like they are few and far between out there too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth