Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 01:45 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,252,738 times

Advertisements

Has anyone attended this camp? What's it like?

My daughter is scheduled to attend next week, however, I'm having some second thoughts about the whole thing. I have some questions, can't get anyone to answer the phone! I've called yesterday and today, just get a recording, says their normal hours are 8 am--4:30 pm, M-F, even though I'm calling during those hours all I get is a recording. I've left several messages, no one returns the calls. Says to reach the person on call dial "0" when I do just get the same voice mail to leave a message!

This camp was recommended through our church so I thought it was alright, now I have my doubts. We've already paid, says its non-refundable, $250, well, I'd rather blow that money off than leave my daughter at a place I have doubts about. The fact that they don't answer their phone is a red flag right there! The logistics of checking in/out are awkward, check-in is 8 am Monday, check out is 8:30 am Friday, rather difficult for anyone coming from out-of-town, we figure we'd spend at least $300--$500 just to get her up and back with gas and an overnight hotel. I was trying to determine how "set" those check-in check out times are, if that's when they begin, or we could make it somewhat later to avoid an overnight hotel stay, but...........no one answers the phone! They give a menu of camp staff, I've contacted 11 extensions including the main camp extension, all I get is a voice mail, left messages no one returns, seems no one is minding the store!

well, the way I figure it..........the $250 is already spent, that money's history. Now I have to decide if I want to spend more $$$ just to get her there and back, and, more importantly, how comfortable do I feel about the whole set-up? Right now I'm not feeling very secure about the whole thing, a camp where no one answers the phone is not a good sign! So what if it was recommended by our church?

So, has anyone had any experience with this place? I'm very picky about where I leave my children, this place just doesn't "feel" right to me at this point, any feedback appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 03:20 PM

33 posts, read 154,351 times
Are you talking about Glen Lake Methodist camp?

I went to camp there as a kid- early 80's. It's where my husband and I first met actually! I don't know much about it now, only that they've remodeled and it looks really nice... nothing like the icky cabins we had lol.

I'm not sure why you need to spend the night when taking her and picking up.. Glen Rose isn't that far from Ft. Worth. Also, is there not a group from your church or any of her friends going that you could carpool with? We always met at church and our youth leader drove and picked up, parents never went.

I would call someone at your church who has a child going there or has had a child attend to ask them.

Old 06-13-2008, 04:41 PM

We don't live in Ft worth--we live in Austin! I just said its about 50 miles from Ft Worth as a reference. How are we supposed to check her in at 8 am Monday and get there from Austin unless we leave the night before?

Also, I don't like that they don't answer their phone or respond to emails, not a good sign!

Old 06-13-2008, 05:21 PM

52 posts, read 181,674 times
I guess it's something you should have checked on before paying the registration. I'd check with my church like Margurite suggested. Are there others from your church attending at the same time?

Old 06-13-2008, 05:54 PM

We were not told the time details until after we paid the registration, besides, there's really no excuse for not answering phone and emails, we've been trying to get information for about the last 2 days, you'd think someone would answer the phone at least! We have some questions about the logistics of arrival, registration, etc, what's the big deal about getting someone to answer the phone or emails? I told them I wanted to have a response by tomorrow at noon or I would cancel her registration and would expect a full refund due to non-communication. Let's see what happens, I'm still hoping someone answers, would like her to have a happy camping experience, would be a shame if it fell through due to non-communication, but look at it this way--if the camp wanted some sort of response from me prior to her starting camp, and they'd made several attempts with no response, I can see them cancelling oiur reservation due to non-response from us. We really deserve better communication from a place we're entrusting our child to!

Old 06-13-2008, 08:34 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,774,143 times
You can certainly drive from Austin to Glen Rose the morning you are to be there. You might have to set your alarm clock a earlier than usual, but I see no problem with that. Take a pillow and blanket and let your daughter nap in the back seat on the way, that way she'll be good and rested when you get there. It sounds to me as if you would be more content with yourself if you didn't send her. I would be uncomfortable with the lack of response also, but don't know the details or how they are set up. Good luck.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:58 PM

Its been such a dissappointment to me that they did not return any of my communications, over 30 phone messages and 5 emails, I've just decided not to take her. I've been trying to get some sort of rsponse out of them for 2 days now, absolutely nothing, that's just unacceptable. My questions concerning check-in time, etc are important so I can plan how to get there, but its not that--I can just drive up the night before and stay in a hotel or drive up early that morning, those would be the only two choices, anyways, regardless, but its the fact that they simply don't respond to repeated attempts at communication that makes me uncomfortable with them. I just can't leave my daughter with unresponsive strangers, and that's what they are right now.

Perhaps we can find some other camp for her, something that at least answers their phone!

Old 06-13-2008, 10:19 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,616,167 times
If you are indeed talking about the camp the other poster mentioned, Glen Lake Methodist Camp, then pretty much everything you need to know is directly on their website, including times to check in and a copy of their handbook.

My thoughts on not being able to get hold of anyone today is that since it's Friday and they ended their camp for this week by 8:30 AM that no one is there after that. Instead they are there when the camp is going on, therefore you can reach someone at any time during the camp.

If that's not the camp you mean, then you may do well searching for their website online.

I'm sorry that your child may miss out on a wonderful week at camp because you missed out on information........

Old 06-14-2008, 01:27 AM

Old 06-15-2008, 10:23 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,889,306 times
Glen Lake Methodist Camp
my daughter's best friend goes every year! She lOVES it.
We just moved here and I had my daughter signed up for soccer camp already or she would be going as well. She will be attending next year without doubt.

We have heard sooo many good things about it from the youth group at our church. I really don't think you'll have any problems.

I would say it's run simular to other camps we went to in VA....they are closed on the weekends and so no-one is there to anwser phones etc... They sometimes have counselors that stay but the office is closed.

I agree with talking to your youth leaders at church and they should be able to anwser any questions..if not a methodist church, then go to the nearest methodist church and inquire...

here is the info in case you have a misprint in phone numbers etc....
Glen Lake Camp & Retreat Center
1102 NE Barnard Street / PO Box 928
Glen Rose, Texas 76043
254-897-2247
254-897-2423 fax

It's a very well known camp...not some fly by night operation!!

EDIT in check in times...
Quote:
Check-in Monday morning from 8-9:00am through Friday at 8:30am.
There is an hour for the check in process...but as with other camps we have gone to I am sure it goes past that for late commers etc... in my past expirence with church and girlscout camps..the process usually takes an hour + with checkin, heath forms etc...
And for Check out...same thing...it takes awhile to get the gear etc...

Last edited by 5stones; 06-15-2008 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: more info...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth