Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 02:21 PM

147 posts, read 292,896 times

Advertisements

Wal-Mart proposed for Frederick Towne Mall redevelopment - The Frederick News-Post : Building

I don't know what to think of this. I certainly don't like Wal-Mart very much, but letting the mall just sit and rot is an eyesore, and isn't the solution to anything. I don't think that a Wal-Mart would really invigorate the area and cause people to patronize other businesses on 40, as some in the article are suggesting. What's over there these days? A bunch of chain restaurants, a couple of liquor stores, and a few remaining small businesses/family owned restaurants. Not exactly a whole lot for people to browse after a Wal-Mart trip, and besides, isn't the idea of going to Wal-Mart to avoid having to hit up a bunch of small stores for different things? I guess it would create some jobs for folks in the area (but not good ones).

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 02:40 PM

148 posts, read 369,760 times
It doesn't surprise me, but I was really hoping for better options. Something like Old Navy, another Target, or anything else except Walmart. I haven't been to a Walmart in nearly a decade. I do patronize some of the businesses on the Golden Mile since it is more convenient for me than the stuff on 85 or 26. I hate that the mall has been empty for years so I think something definitely needs to be done, and the original plan for upscale condos was a ridiculous idea for the area. But another Walmart... no thanks.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:10 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,303,666 times
I think it is a great idea. I have no love lost for Wal-Mart. However, Steven P. you are absolutely correct. There is nothing in the area but chain restaurants and a few big box retailers such as the Toys R Us, Pier 1 Imports, and the Home Depot already on site. Perfect! That's what surrounds Wal-Mart's everywhere!

The Golden Mile is the epitome of 1970s era development cheese. Every US Route in America (of course in a few different places along Rt. 40) has this type of sprawl and they are all faltering. Walmart was never designed to stimulate growth, but it does. Frederick Towne Mall needs to decompartmentalize. With Wal-Mart and Home Depot on the site, maybe Old Navy and another big box retailer could fill the Bon-Ton space or maybe Walmart would just be occupying all of the space.

For those opposing Walmart in favor of mom and pop smaller stores are living a pipe dream. If those smaller stores existed and entrepreneurs were being lent the money for them by banks, they would be occupying the mall already. Small stores are perfect for downtown. I think it would be cool to actually have the Boscov's downtown (could you imagine downtown Frederick during Christmas time with a true-to-life old school department store?). However, the Golden Mile is not pedestrian-friendly and is only conducive to Walmart style development. Walmart is not an incinerator; in this case Walmart is better than no development at all because a future of empty Giant grocery store spaces (literally) is all that awaits W. Patrick Street.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:55 PM

461 posts, read 1,283,813 times
Wal-Mart is better than what is there now, and will certainly grow the tax base of the city. But I do think it will hurt some of the other businesses on the golden mile, especially the grocery stores. I'm sure there are a lot of Frederick folks who are upset that it isn't going to be something more upscale than this. I think it will remain to be seen if this is a good thing or not. Three Wal Marts in Frederick seems excessive. Why not a second Target there?

Old 04-12-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
I think it is a great idea. I have no love lost for Wal-Mart. However, Steven P. you are absolutely correct. There is nothing in the area but chain restaurants and a few big box retailers such as the Toys R Us, Pier 1 Imports, and the Home Depot already on site. Perfect! That's what surrounds Wal-Mart's everywhere!

The Golden Mile is the epitome of 1970s era development cheese. Every US Route in America (of course in a few different places along Rt. 40) has this type of sprawl and they are all faltering. Walmart was never designed to stimulate growth, but it does. Frederick Towne Mall needs to decompartmentalize. With Wal-Mart and Home Depot on the site, maybe Old Navy and another big box retailer could fill the Bon-Ton space or maybe Walmart would just be occupying all of the space.

For those opposing Walmart in favor of mom and pop smaller stores are living a pipe dream. If those smaller stores existed and entrepreneurs were being lent the money for them by banks, they would be occupying the mall already. Small stores are perfect for downtown. I think it would be cool to actually have the Boscov's downtown (could you imagine downtown Frederick during Christmas time with a true-to-life old school department store?). However, the Golden Mile is not pedestrian-friendly and is only conducive to Walmart style development. Walmart is not an incinerator; in this case Walmart is better than no development at all because a future of empty Giant grocery store spaces (literally) is all that awaits W. Patrick Street.
Good post, I agree with everything here. I think the lack of walkability of the Golden Mile is an excellent point. I also think a Boscov's downtown would be pretty neat. It's really a shame how run down the Rt 40 area is now (not that it's particularly dangerous or even a "bad area", just not very economically robust), and honestly I can't think of a whole lot that will suit the people living in that area besides a Wal-Mart. Not a knock at any of the lower-income folks in the area, I just don't think there's much that is locally sustainable besides a Wal-Mart. With the stigma that area has with a lot of people in Frederick County, they're going to have to build something really interesting if they want to draw people from around the county, otherwise it will probably have to be a Wal-Mart to cater to those living in the area and those who would find its location convenient (ie people in Middletown).

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownterp View Post
Wal-Mart is better than what is there now, and will certainly grow the tax base of the city. But I do think it will hurt some of the other businesses on the golden mile, especially the grocery stores. I'm sure there are a lot of Frederick folks who are upset that it isn't going to be something more upscale than this. I think it will remain to be seen if this is a good thing or not. Three Wal Marts in Frederick seems excessive. Why not a second Target there?
Yeah, I'd be concerned if I worked at any of the grocery stores over there. I don't know who would expect something particularly upscale to be developed in the mall's space, though. It's not like that's an upscale area, and its location is not conducive to small businesses like there are downtown.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:04 PM

461 posts, read 1,283,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven P. View Post
Good post, I agree with everything here. I think the lack of walkability of the Golden Mile is an excellent point. I also think a Boscov's downtown would be pretty neat. It's really a shame how run down the Rt 40 area is now (not that it's particularly dangerous or even a "bad area", just not very economically robust), and honestly I can't think of a whole lot that will suit the people living in that area besides a Wal-Mart. Not a knock at any of the lower-income folks in the area, I just don't think there's much that is locally sustainable besides a Wal-Mart. With the stigma that area has with a lot of people in Frederick County, they're going to have to build something really interesting if they want to draw people from around the county, otherwise it will probably have to be a Wal-Mart to cater to those living in the area and those who would find its location convenient (ie people in Middletown).

Yeah, I'd be concerned if I worked at any of the grocery stores over there. I don't know who would expect something particularly upscale to be developed in the mall's space, though. It's not like that's an upscale area, and its location is not conducive to small businesses like there are downtown.
Upscale may have been a poor choice of words. Maybe 'nicer' is was I meant. Not that there is anything wrong with Wal Mart...

Old 04-14-2013, 12:46 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,303,666 times
I would say the Weis Market at the intersection of Rt. 40 and Old Camp Rd. less than a mile west of Frederick Towne Mall would have the most to fear. Their prices are high, the selection is not the best, and they stay in business due to being the only major grocery store in between the Giant Eagle and the Safeway in Middletown.

Keep in mind the Giant on the Golden Mile has already closed down. If you don't have a lot to offer and aren't unique or special in anyway, then you lose business. Period. I think the Giant Eagle could still remain competitive because they offer a significant number of discounts and specials all of the time and also provide gas rewards for their Get-Go brand. Also they have a far greater variety of groceries than even the grocery section of Walmart. I would not go anywhere near as far as to say they are "upscale" by any means but their prepared and "gourmet" foods are just better than what Walmart has to offer and they are not egregiously more expensive.

I also think the K-mart can survive. After being gashed in the 1990s by Walmart, K-mart seems to have found this niche where they survive by only operating one store in any given market. The K-mart in Hagerstown is half a mile away from the Target, a quarter mile away from Big Lots, and shares a shopping center with Ollie's Discount Outlet and seems to get along fine. I think K-mart can maintain a similar position on the Golden Mile. But that's why I don't think expansion is even on Target's radar. I can't think of a market the size of Frederick that has more than one Target and Target's tend to be about 20 miles apart in lower density suburban areas.

But I think this is why a Walmart would become so important. Although Walmart offers many of the same goods, retailers such as Home Depot, Toys R Us, Sports Authority/Dick's, Marshalls/TJ Maxx/Burlington, etc. seem to not only do fine with Walmarts in the area, but also work in consumer synthesis with them. Perhaps the Walmart on the Golden Mile will attract more ancillary retailers to fill up vacancies in the area. I personally would like to see a Trader Joe's in the old Giant space. I just think a Walmart would help at least sustain the area because people may support other businesses on W. Patrick out of the sheer reluctance to have to go into a crowded Walmart for every little household item or grocery.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:26 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,515,492 times
Winchester VA has two Targets and three (!) Wal-Marts despite greater Winchester (Frederick County VA-Winchester City VA-Hampshire County WV) being 1/2 the size of greater Frederick.

So a third Wal-Mart on the west side of town doesn't strike me as completely illogical. Now whether you want a Wal-Mart or something else there is another matter entirely.

The idea of Boscov's relocating to downtown (is there any pad where they could fit?) is intriguing, as Boscov's does have downtown stores in Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, and Binghamton.

Frederick could probably use another multiplex maybe somewhere on the north side of town if you compare it to Loudoun County, which has multiplexes in Leesburg, Brambleton, Alamo Cinemas (One Loudoun), and Regal Cinemas (Sterling).

Old 04-15-2013, 06:12 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,090,275 times
The Frederick Boscov's is one of the highest performing stores they have but I don't see how they could survive right next to a Walmart. I believe they own their building So I don't know if they would sell to Walmart or if they already have a deal

Old 04-15-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
Winchester VA has two Targets and three (!) Wal-Marts despite greater Winchester (Frederick County VA-Winchester City VA-Hampshire County WV) being 1/2 the size of greater Frederick.

So a third Wal-Mart on the west side of town doesn't strike me as completely illogical. Now whether you want a Wal-Mart or something else there is another matter entirely.

The idea of Boscov's relocating to downtown (is there any pad where they could fit?) is intriguing, as Boscov's does have downtown stores in Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, and Binghamton.

Frederick could probably use another multiplex maybe somewhere on the north side of town if you compare it to Loudoun County, which has multiplexes in Leesburg, Brambleton, Alamo Cinemas (One Loudoun), and Regal Cinemas (Sterling).
Hard to believe Winchester is able to support two Targets and three Wal-Marts. I don't think Frederick would have much difficulty supporting a third Wal-Mart. I agree another multiplex is going to be in demand soon and will probably pop up with all the new development on 26, where they are trying to attract people to "work, play, live", in a suburban planned community like Reston Town Center (albeit not a very walkable one, and I don't think there's much employment there, but that's a different issue).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick