Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 08:48 PM

1 posts, read 5,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmkdbree View Post
My ex and I moved up to Frederick after college to raise kids and it is a great area. There's lots to do, parks, hiking, minor league baseball, arts, history, shopping, great dining and nightlife too. I've been here over twenty years now and never had a problem with crime. Now that I'm single I am out and about downtown all the time. It's a really great downtown and reminds me of Annapolis, Fells Point or Old Town Alexandria. Just like those places, you want to be safe and know where not to go, but again, I've never had a problem. The area around Baker Park is especially nice. Carroll Creek is an up and coming area, but with all the condos it's probably more geared for singles. Generally the police are great. I had one incident with a dyke police woman that, well, we had a personality clash. But that is the exception and most of the officers have been friendly, respectful and often you even see the Chief of Police out walking the streets. The town is growing but still has a bit of the Mayberry feel to it. Don't plan to drink and drive though, as police officers are all over the place after midnight on weekends. Steer away from South Street, Hillcrest and Heather Ridge areas, but otherwise you should feel safe where ever you go.
What is wrong with the Hillcreast area in Frederick MD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 10:27 PM

6,999 posts, read 11,298,847 times
Hillcrest is where the Hispanics live, thus it has a bad reputation. I never saw any MS-13 types, just redneck central American types in cowboy hats, jeans, and big boots No doubt the crime rate is higher there than in the gentrified parts of the city and the planned sub-developments, but I lived on the outskirts of this neighborhood and shopped there with no problems. Exercise basic caution and you shouldn't have any problems there.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:07 PM

3 posts, read 7,548 times
Thumbs down We are moving out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mush202 View Post
Need some advice on Frederick, MD. My wife and I are looking at moving to Frederick but I am hearing some mixed feedback on the area. We are looking for a single family home in the $400K-$500K price range.

Is Frederick safe? Crime?
We have lived in Frederick for almost 2 years. We live right off of 40 West. "The Golden Mile"

This area has gown downhill so fast. It is unbelievable. We have drunks passed out on the side of the road in the middle of the day. We have armed robberies of women walking to their cars. We have window in cars being smashed out to get to GPS systems. We have a mall with only 5 stores in it.

It is pathetic. We are moving out in Sept. when our lease is up.

I recommend either Braddock Heights or Middletown. They are just 5 miles north of here on alt. 40. Nice neighborhoods and white fol;ks are not the minority. We are moving out to Keedysville which is 21 miles north.

Downtown Old Frederick is a nice place. As long as you stay in the shopping district. Wander a few blocks off and you are in the ghetto!

Do yourself a favor and drive around here first. In my opinion it will only get worst. As usual the indigenous population moves in and we move out.

When will it stop? Why do you think most people commute an hour or more to get to work?

Good luck. Keep me posted. Signed FEDUP!

Old 08-13-2010, 07:28 PM

461 posts, read 1,283,590 times
Crime really seems to be up in Frederick lately. Lots of shootings, some stabbings, a car jacking, muggings. This is pretty unusual for Frederick, which has traditionally been safe (or so it seems). Don't know if it's just me or the effects of the economy, but something is different.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:19 PM

1 posts, read 4,118 times
My husband, myself, and my two sons, ages 14 and 12, both in middle school, will be relocating to the Frederick area in the next 3 weeks. We plan on renting for a year or two. We live in Knoxville, TN now and know that there will be sticker shock on the price of just about everything... especially since Tennessee doesn't have state taxes.
Does anyone recommend any special areas to shoot for. Number 1 priority is an excellent middle school and an easy commute for my husband into Frederick. Also, no/low crime area. Oh, and neither one of us know how to drive in the snow... it's going to be fun

Old 08-16-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqualify View Post
My husband, myself, and my two sons, ages 14 and 12, both in middle school, will be relocating to the Frederick area in the next 3 weeks. We plan on renting for a year or two. We live in Knoxville, TN now and know that there will be sticker shock on the price of just about everything... especially since Tennessee doesn't have state taxes.
Does anyone recommend any special areas to shoot for. Number 1 priority is an excellent middle school and an easy commute for my husband into Frederick. Also, no/low crime area. Oh, and neither one of us know how to drive in the snow... it's going to be fun
If you don't want to drive in the snow, I wouldn't live west of the city because you would have to cross the mountain the get to Frederick.

I think the middle schools that serve the city are lower ranked than the ones that serve the suburbs, especially closer to Montgomery County (SE Frederick County)

As a general rule, north and east of Frederick are mostly farm country with some small towns and scattered subdivisions along the major roads. South and SE of Frederick are more developed, but still retain a rather low population density in most places.

Are you looking for suburban style living? Country living? What is your price range?

Old 08-17-2011, 07:27 AM

244 posts, read 572,896 times
Urbana is a nice area that is a few miles outside of Frederick and you may be able to find a home in your price range there, as well as Middletown, Jefferson and some of the other smaller towns outside Frederick. If you want to live IN Frederick, I would say the Ballenger Creek Area is nice (the side where the development called HANNOVER (I think?), some of the homes up Opposumtown Pike, off Rt. 15 on the North end (Whittier) would probably be what you are looking for...will someone be working IN Frederick?

As far as crime, there is your usual crime in parts of downtown, but it's that 2am kind in a section you probably wouldn't be in anyway. There are some nice older, historical "rowhouse" homes in areas in downtown Frederick that you'd feel safe in...the area near Maryland School for the Deaf is nice and on the opposite end of the downtown area near Church Street has some nice homes. You won't have a yard there though. Outside the immediate downtown area there aren't very many new developments being built. We have a Hispanic section off of Rt. 40 near the Frederick Towne Mall and Toys R Us but they are safe; I haven't heard of any issues in those areas.
Cosmkdbree had good advice on areas to stay away from. You can always read our local paper online for hints on what is going on: The Frederick News-Post Online - Frederick County Maryland Daily Newspaper

I have lived in Frederick Co. all my life and have never felt unsafe (except during the Sniper Attacks but that was a once in a life time event. Hopefully.)

Old 08-17-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heather3 View Post
Urbana is a nice area that is a few miles outside of Frederick and you may be able to find a home in your price range there, as well as Middletown, Jefferson and some of the other smaller towns outside Frederick. If you want to live IN Frederick, I would say the Ballenger Creek Area is nice (the side where the development called HANNOVER (I think?), some of the homes up Opposumtown Pike, off Rt. 15 on the North end (Whittier) would probably be what you are looking for...will someone be working IN Frederick?

As far as crime, there is your usual crime in parts of downtown, but it's that 2am kind in a section you probably wouldn't be in anyway. There are some nice older, historical "rowhouse" homes in areas in downtown Frederick that you'd feel safe in...the area near Maryland School for the Deaf is nice and on the opposite end of the downtown area near Church Street has some nice homes. You won't have a yard there though. Outside the immediate downtown area there aren't very many new developments being built. We have a Hispanic section off of Rt. 40 near the Frederick Towne Mall and Toys R Us but they are safe; I haven't heard of any issues in those areas.
Cosmkdbree had good advice on areas to stay away from. You can always read our local paper online for hints on what is going on: The Frederick News-Post Online - Frederick County Maryland Daily Newspaper

I have lived in Frederick Co. all my life and have never felt unsafe (except during the Sniper Attacks but that was a once in a life time event. Hopefully.)
Crazy factoid. My wife and I ate dinner at the Outback in Frederick on the night the snipers had planned to set up there for a shooting! Luckily they had just been caught the night before and their plan had been foiled. Otherwise.......

Old 04-24-2014, 05:13 PM

18 posts, read 34,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mush202 View Post
Need some advice on Frederick, MD. My wife and I are looking at moving to Frederick but I am hearing some mixed feedback on the area. We are looking for a single family home in the $400K-$500K price range.

Is Frederick safe? Crime?

Can I ask what the mixed feedback was? I currently live in Frederick and bought a home last November in the same price range. Frederick is safe. There is little crime, some like anywhere else. It is a beautiful place, tons of parks, very family friendly and local small business orientated. The downtown area is miles of great shops, convenient parking, and nice people. We moved here from near DC and both commute over an hour to work for a reason, the vibe here is great. Let me know what else specifically you want to know

Old 04-24-2014, 05:14 PM

18 posts, read 34,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iqualify View Post
The Clover Hill neighborhoods where we live are very nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick