Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 02:08 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,605,588 times

Advertisements

Wal-Mart has pulled the plug on plans to open a new store as part of a shopping center planned for the site of the former Frederick Towne Mall in west Frederick.

Property owner Rockwood Capital on Tuesday received a letter from Wal-Mart announcing its withdrawal from the project, according to Dave Severn, an attorney representing Rockwood Capital.

Wal-Mart pulls plans for west Frederick store | Real Estate And Development | fredericknewspost.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 02:10 PM

I'm willing to bet that this sets the project back by another 5 years.

Old 09-01-2016, 02:53 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times
Three months ago I was at the barber shop next to that site. The word was that all work had stopped when they found more asbestos on the site than was expected and no one wanted to cover the increased remediation cost. When I was there last month the word was that WalMart was going to walk away unless the deal got much better to cover the increased costs. I guess it is time to get my hair cut again :-)

Old 09-01-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Three months ago I was at the barber shop next to that site. The word was that all work had stopped when they found more asbestos on the site than was expected and no one wanted to cover the increased remediation cost. When I was there last month the word was that WalMart was going to walk away unless the deal got much better to cover the increased costs. I guess it is time to get my hair cut again :-)
Barbers and hairdressers ALWAYS have the best local gossip.

I wonder what's going to happen now (if the story is true)? Will the developer be willing to cover the increased costs on an anchorless retail project, or will they simply hand the site over to their lender and let them deal with the mess?

Frederick News-Post's Facebook page is full of gleeful responses that Walmart pulled out. I don't think those people comprehend how bad this could be for the area, especially if the site is left in unfinished condition.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:38 AM

2,769 posts, read 404,832 times
I know this part of town needs help but it isn't in the best of neighborhoods. Yes, I go through there 2Xs a day on the way to and from Detrick since Shookstown is closed off. I do get gas at 6am at the Exxon. I've never felt threatened or put in a bad situation but a coworker has been at the same station. I just don't know what the real solution here would be.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Luckylady View Post
I know this part of town needs help but it isn't in the best of neighborhoods. Yes, I go through there 2Xs a day on the way to and from Detrick since Shookstown is closed off. I do get gas at 6am at the Exxon. I've never felt threatened or put in a bad situation but a coworker has been at the same station. I just don't know what the real solution here would be.
I've always thought if it this way: If that's Frederick's "ghetto", the town is doing pretty darn well. Compare Frederick's "ghetto" to Hagerstown's "ghetto". The differences are quite stark.

Old 09-02-2016, 03:13 PM

461 posts, read 1,284,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
I've always thought if it this way: If that's Frederick's "ghetto", the town is doing pretty darn well. Compare Frederick's "ghetto" to Hagerstown's "ghetto". The differences are quite stark.
And yet....no murders in Hagerstown this year yet Frederick has had several. Weird.

Old 09-02-2016, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownterp View Post
And yet....no murders in Hagerstown this year yet Frederick has had several. Weird.
Both have crime, there's no doubt about that, but at this point, Frederick is a wealthier area than Hagerstown. I really hope that changes in the future. Hagerstown has a lot to love.

Old 09-02-2016, 04:47 PM

993 posts, read 766,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
My husband and I moved to Braddock Heights several months ago from Kensington, Md. where we lived for 28 years. We bought our retirement home.

We drive that section of 40 several times a week and are befuddled as to why it is referred to as the ghetto of Frederick. Parts of it might be a little seedy, but we don't really see it.

As newcomers we must be missing something. All we notice are the beautiful mountains in the background. I don't know the crime stats. Guess we have a lot to learn.

We're used to some of the rough, tired areas of Wheaton that backed up to Kensington. Those neighborhoods were awful.

It is too bad that Walmart pulled out. What retail would residents prefer? Realistically? I don't much about the history of the mall.

The ONLY store I miss from lower MoCo is Trader Joes. Does anyone know why Frederick doesn't have one? If the town can support a Wegmans, surely it can support a Trader Joes.

Moving to the Frederick area is the best move we've ever made. We love it up here.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeonthelittlemountain View Post
My husband and I moved to Braddock Heights several months ago from Kensington, Md. where we lived for 28 years. We bought our retirement home.

We drive that section of 40 several times a week and are befuddled as to why it is referred to as the ghetto of Frederick. Parts of it might be a little seedy, but we don't really see it.

As newcomers we must be missing something. All we notice are the beautiful mountains in the background. I don't know the crime stats. Guess we have a lot to learn.

We're used to some of the rough, tired areas of Wheaton that backed up to Kensington. Those neighborhoods were awful.

It is too bad that Walmart pulled out. What retail would residents prefer? Realistically? I don't much about the history of the mall.

The ONLY store I miss from lower MoCo is Trader Joes. Does anyone know why Frederick doesn't have one? If the town can support a Wegmans, surely it can support a Trader Joes.

Moving to the Frederick area is the best move we've ever made. We love it up here.
I'm glad to hear that you're satisfied with your move!

Concerning the Golden Mile, I think it's the multiple apartment complexes in the area that have given the area a reputation. I've never lived in Frederick, so I wouldn't know, but the general consensus among Frederick residents is that the Golden Mile is a bad area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick