Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2009, 09:58 AM

151 posts, read 693,452 times

Advertisements

I noticed that salaries in Frederick county are low, so I was wondering if a lot of residents commute to Baltimore and DC for work? also are the residents mostly government employees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 10:39 AM

7,006 posts, read 11,301,565 times
About 1/3 of the workforce commutes out of Frederick County. Many go to Baltimore, but more go to Montgomery County and other DC suburbs.

If 1/3 leave, that means about 2/3 work in the county. These numbers are swelled by commuters driving into Frederick County from Washington Co. to the west and PA and WV to the north and south. There are many government jobs, but private industry employs many as well.

The housing prices are high compared to the median income because of the commuters.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:46 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,996,877 times
If you add up local, state and federal employees, there's a good chance the answer to your question would be yes. But there are also a lot of other employers in the area. Here's a list of major employers in Frederick:

OED : Major Frederick County Employers : Frederick County Office of Economic Development : Frederick, Maryland

Commuting to B'more would be easier IMO than DC, mostly because 270 gets so congested. As far as salary, not sure. I imagine jobs in Frederick may pay a bit less, but the cost of living is less too, esp. housing [than DC].

If you'll be working in B'more, there are many nice communities closer to Baltimore on I-70 that would be comparable to Frederick in terms of cost, and would also give you a shorter commute.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:27 AM

460 posts, read 1,876,729 times
I did the 270 south commute to Germantown for about 5 years and my hubby has done that route as well as Frederick east to Baltimore. If you can get closer to Baltimore, I would recommend it. People that are not from here, have not grown up with the outward sprawl expansion from metro DC to points northward all over the map, simply just don't understand that unless you are prepared to spend many HOURS of your week in your car stuck in traffic, you are going to be miserable being farther out. I know, I get the whole housing affordability thing - I'm from MoCo and that's why we moved to Frederick 9 years ago. But quality of life really suffers when you spend much of your life behind the wheel in traffic. People seem to forget that there is a Baltimore beltway called 695 that Rt. 70 runs into and just as with 270/495, it gets really f-d up quick when there are traffic problems.
THere are nice areas in Carroll County and Baltimore County, Howard County. . . you may have to downsize and get a TH instead of a SFH but the time and aggravation you save in commuting will be worth it, especially if you have a family. We moved to Laurel this last winter and I do miss Frederick so much, but 1) we can afford a SFH house with a yard for the kids here with the market turning, and 2) my hubby is 5 miles from work instead of 50 and 3) when I return to teaching this fall I'll be 10 miles away instead of 27 miles.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:16 PM

151 posts, read 693,452 times
thank you for all your replies. We are in Frederick currently but Im looking at other areas in MD. One of the reasons is the pay is very low. and the jobs my hubby qualifies for are either in Baltimore or Montgomery county. so we will see. Laurel is a nice place congrats on your move!

Old 07-28-2009, 04:32 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,491,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trying2moveup View Post
I did the 270 south commute to Germantown for about 5 years and my hubby has done that route as well as Frederick east to Baltimore. If you can get closer to Baltimore, I would recommend it. People that are not from here, have not grown up with the outward sprawl expansion from metro DC to points northward all over the map, simply just don't understand that unless you are prepared to spend many HOURS of your week in your car stuck in traffic, you are going to be miserable being farther out. I know, I get the whole housing affordability thing - I'm from MoCo and that's why we moved to Frederick 9 years ago. But quality of life really suffers when you spend much of your life behind the wheel in traffic. People seem to forget that there is a Baltimore beltway called 695 that Rt. 70 runs into and just as with 270/495, it gets really f-d up quick when there are traffic problems.
THere are nice areas in Carroll County and Baltimore County, Howard County. . . you may have to downsize and get a TH instead of a SFH but the time and aggravation you save in commuting will be worth it, especially if you have a family. We moved to Laurel this last winter and I do miss Frederick so much, but 1) we can afford a SFH house with a yard for the kids here with the market turning, and 2) my hubby is 5 miles from work instead of 50 and 3) when I return to teaching this fall I'll be 10 miles away instead of 27 miles.
I agree.. quality of life suffers due to the commuting. We lived on the Eastern Shore and my husband commuted over the bridge into Baltimore County and that commute was 72 miles-one way!
We loved the Eastern Shore is beautiful,but we never got to enjoy it.
Sometimes in the winter months it would take my husband 5 hours to get home.
We have since been relocated (again!) and my husband now drives 18 minutes to work, it was such a shock to our systems at first,what a change and huge adaption we had to do,but it has been a few months now and my husband can't believe he ever did that horrible commute!

We have many friends who live in Frederick who drive to DC for work (cost of homes much lower in the area-but still high in comparison) and they are always complaining about the commute.
If you can afford a home or TH as mentioned above in Carroll or Howard,I would say go for it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick