Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 09:54 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times

Advertisements

Little things add up---

don't let the water run while brushing your teeth or shaving

don't run the water to rinse dishes before putting in the dishwasher, half fill a sink instead

Stop and think if you really need to turn on that light. so many times we atuomatically turn on a light when entering a room, or closet, etc, when there's plenty of light already from windows, etc

unplug TV etc at night, have on a power strip to reach easily, otherwise they use energy even when turned off

cut open tubes of toothpaste to get the last bit, I've nursed tubes for another day or two

I get my hair done at the local beauty school, total for cut, color, foil highlights---$25!

find low-cost pet vaccination clinics, we got all shots for $20/cat! Usually they have signs, but you can find on Craig's List

plan menus ahead to take advantage of weekly specials, and have a "leftover night" clean out the fridge, don't let bits of things go to waste
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 10:11 PM

805 posts, read 1,084,995 times
I'm late to the party, but I can't help but smile when I put the car payment in the mail and pay much more than the required amount! At this rate it will be paid off in 3 years instead of the 6-year that I signed up for. And the car will be driven until its unfortunate death.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:35 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,035,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
- clothes from thrift stores
- food made from scratch- lots of beans, rice, legumes
- no cable TV
- healthy diet, exercise & lifestyle to prevent medical costs
- rarely eat out but when out with friends order appetizer or soup/salad
- rarely buy alcohol
- exercise daily outside rather than at gym
- all books from library
- inexpensive, meaningful presents
- put on own yard sale & shop at others' yard sales
- keep hair natural
- am a teacher who shoots for creativity rather than spending money on supplies
- no make-up
(I sound like a real dud, eh LOL!?)
Nope. You sound a lot like me

Old 01-09-2011, 05:42 AM

168 posts, read 549,375 times
- use automatic LED night lights
- change all bulbs in the house to CFL bulbs
- use low flow shower head and sink faucet tips
- use a 13 year old car as a daily driver (do all maintenance myself and wash my own car)
- drive speed limit and save gas (see hypermiling driving techniques for additional tips)
- use wireless internet hotspot on my smart phone and tether to laptop instead of paying for extra internet at home
- do laundry with a full load
- use my credit card for everything and pay off at the end of the month and earn cash back
- shop at Costco for almost everything
- take care of everything so it lasts for years (clothes, electronics, computers, phone)
- combine trips
- shop around for car insurance and homeowners insurance
- I dont buy things I dont need (less is more and trying to be a minimalist)

Last edited by 24hr7; 01-09-2011 at 06:38 AM..

Old 01-10-2011, 10:16 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,442,957 times
i know this sounds crazy away to save money ..

i had a lady cook for me and would make up meals in the rubbermaid 2.qt sqaure tubs and freeze them and it would save me money in the long time for i never really had to grocery shop for food items

plus the money i did spend on a food it was more of the basic items like bread and milk and cereal and soda and lunch meat and hambugers or steaks for quick fix items to eat as i wanted ..

Old 01-10-2011, 11:31 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,232,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
i know this sounds crazy away to save money ..

i had a lady cook for me and would make up meals in the rubbermaid 2.qt sqaure tubs and freeze them and it would save me money in the long time for i never really had to grocery shop for food items

plus the money i did spend on a food it was more of the basic items like bread and milk and cereal and soda and lunch meat and hambugers or steaks for quick fix items to eat as i wanted ..
Most guys call her a wife! LOL....j/k...if you don't know how to cook or don't like to, having someone cook big batches & freeze them is an awesome way to avoid eating out.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:47 AM

68 posts, read 117,926 times
I'm in the UK but still do some of the frugal stuff

Bread is quite expensive here, so I bought a bread maker (a good one) for the equivalent of about $120 - bread costs about 40 cents a loaf - make all the bread related products in it including pizza dough - dough for rolls - cost about 5 or 6 cents in electricity each time. And the bread in infinitely superior to store bought.

Cook from scratch and have a rough weekly menu plan.

Buy meat and fish when it is on offer in the stores if I can. There is no such thing as cheap meat in the UK. Try and use seasonal fruit and veg - cheaper here than exotic imports. In the autumn I pick blackberries, apples and wild plums and freeze and make jam or use in deserts. Grow tomatoes and make relish and passata with the surplus.

Buy soap powder/liquid, dishwasher tablets, soft drinks, toilet paper, dog food in bulk in Costco.

Shop around every year for car and household insurance - you get nothing for loyalty in the UK except higher premiums.

We travel quite a lot and use the free travel insurance that comes with my husband's bank account.

I have a clothes airer that I use in the winter to dry heavy items like jeans - I also use it for the things I can't put in the dryer. In the summer I dry all washing (except underwear and socks) outside on a line - I know most Americans don't do this - but dryers are quite expensive to run and it cuts down the electricity bill.

Have fitted energy efficient light bulbs to most light fittings.

We have radiators for heating - not air - we have thermostats fitted to every radiator so we can have bedrooms at a lower temperature than the living areas.

I either go food shopping with a list or shop on line and the store delivers to the door - shopping on line is good because it stops you impulse buying or buying stuff that's seems like a bargain though you don't need it.

I have a car I have had for about 10 years - a Honda Prelude - it's been money well spent - it's been in for repair twice - once for a new muffler and recently to have a window motor replaced and other than new tyres and brake replacement it's never been a problem. I will run it until it starts to cost money. OH has a 2 year old car he bought at 6 months old - it's a deisel and is very economical to run fuel wise.

We have no debts now, though we had our share in the past, except quite a small amount to pay on the mortgage - if we have any single item purchases to make that are over $150 we always use a credit card - here the card issuer has to refund the money if there are any problems on purchases over that amount.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:17 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,442,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
Most guys call her a wife! LOL....j/k...if you don't know how to cook or don't like to, having someone cook big batches & freeze them is an awesome way to avoid eating out.
i would buy the food items and give her money on top of the price of the food and she would do it that way for me ..she would do alot of the extra chores around the area that we lived in for the single guys to make extra money ..

she once told us at a party we where all at the time that she was ranking in from 6 single guys in the area who paid her for some of the basic items that need to be done in the house was about $550.a week she was rakeing in tax free from us for all the diff chores she did for us..

to me it was well worth it not to have to get up and cook before work or after work inless it was a steak out on the grill and it was nice to come home throw a meal into the mircowave and set down and eat and not have to make a big meal and clean up afterwards ..

sometimes i had a turn around shift that was at 12 noon to 8.pm and i was getting home at 4.am and have a limited amount of time inturn sleep and eat and get cleaned up in was nice not to have to worry about fixing something to eat or have to go to the store and shop when doing these type of shifts ..

she would grocery shop for you also and she would take a trip with you to the store and see what food items you bought and she would only buy those items and nothing else ..

Old 01-12-2011, 10:25 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,192,007 times
I think I must be awful. We have the highest water/sewer/elec rates in the state so we don't flush if we just pee and I unplug anything(ie phone/toothbrush charger cuz it costs 11cents each per day. If someone uses a paper plate for a sandwich/toast we save it for the next guy (on the side) cuz it has no real food on it. On top of the normal things, not many people admit to this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living