Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 07:09 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,626,918 times

Advertisements

Here are a few things I do that many people don't which could save them money:

I pay all my bills online from my online bank account.

I have rugs on my wooden floors to keep the heat in my apartment and curtains over my windows.

I pay every extra dollar toward my credit card to quickly reduce the interest charge.

That's all I can think of for now. What do you do to live frugally?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 07:17 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,921,401 times

I pay every extra dollar toward my credit card to quickly reduce the interest charge.

If you actually were frugal you wouldn't have a balance on your card period.Not calling you out- but you just wouldn't

Old 12-21-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post

If you actually were frugal you wouldn't have a balance on your card period.Not calling you out- but you just wouldn't
I cut that card up and trashed it months ago. I get many other offers but I don't think I'll ever have one again. Not even a mortgage. They ruin folks royally. It helped my credit rating though, ironically now that my credit is very good, I now don't plan on using credit in the future.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:03 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,921,401 times
No problem using it- just pay it off monthly-it may even hurt your credit score to cancel it- (not that you said you would cancel)

Old 12-21-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
No problem using it- just pay it off monthly-it may even hurt your credit score to cancel it- (not that you said you would cancel)
I didn't know u can cancel credit cards. For the purpose of not paying an annual fee? I canceled a bank account before, I think that was better since I no longer kept money in it. Just opened another one. I wish I could avoid banks. I don't think mine had a fee. I just cut it up so I won't use it again. It was a life saver though. I didn't see that lay off coming in advance. U just never know. People take being debt-free for granted. I'm gonna celebrate in March when I expect it to be paid off.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:05 PM

130 posts, read 163,064 times
Default save money

To save money: I use the library more frequently. Recycle presents especially to serial regifters. Limit hangout with friends that like spending like there's no tomorrow. Enjoy hobbies that take time to develop, and therefore appreciate. Also, wearing second-hand and buying second hand clothing or out of season. Actually cleaning out my closet made me find more clothing. Sometimes it helps not to carry too much cash around, and also to bag a snack/drink before heading out of the house. Enjoying life for what it is and watching the stars in the sky. Reduce bills by just not watching too much tv or else develop unneeded wants. And when you find a penny, pick it up! It adds up, because now I have like 13 dollars worth of pennies. Also, don't incur credit card bills, by just using that saying "if you don't have the cash, don't buy it" theory.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:35 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,525,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
Here are a few things I do that many people don't which could save them money:

I pay all my bills online from my online bank account.

I have rugs on my wooden floors to keep the heat in my apartment and curtains over my windows.

That's all I can think of for now. What do you do to live frugally?
I'm pretty cheap just nature but try to be smart about spending money. It seems like some ideas on tehse boards are a bit extreme though. If your cheapness causes you to not hang out with friends b/c you dont want to spend money, has you using inferior products, eating inferior foods, etc its not worth teh money your saving. I think when being frugal negatively effects your quality of life your taking it too far.

Sounds lke you have some pretty reasonable ideas for saving money though, not taking it as far as washing ziplock bags and stuff like that.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:43 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
These aren't original, but all things I've been doing in recent years:

-Making all purchases using a Costco Amex card that I pay off each month and still get points on (my points = $146 this year)
-Buying all my gasoline and prescription drugs at Costco
-Doing almost almost all business/banking online (I've used very few stamps this year)
-Preparing my own taxes online (fastest refund ever)
-Getting new eyeglasses (and prescription sunglasses) at a "2 pairs for $99" sale
-Using the library instead of buying books
-Watching TV on my computer instead of paying a cable bill
-Reading the newspaper online
-Watching movies on DVD rather than going to the multiplex
-Coloring my own hair and doing my own nails
-Getting my hair cut at a beauty school
-Vacationing within driving distance (haven't been on a plane in 5 years and I used to travel a lot)
-Cooking at home instead of eating out (I cut restaurants by more than 50% in 2010)
-Making food gifts for people instead of buying them things (since I'm such a good cook now!)
-Buying ALL Christmas gifts online this year (a) when companies were having sales (b) only when they offered free shipping, too, and (c) had things sent directly to out-of-town recipients to save additionally on mailing costs. For my nieces' gifts, I used a "$15 off a $100 purchase" coupon at Overstock.com that I got from a home magazine. When my purchases arrived, they came with another "$15 off a $100 purchase" coupon, so my mother got gifts from Overstock, too. O's usual shipping charge is $2.95 for anything, but they have plenty of free shipping options, too, which I took advantage of. I also bought gifts at Borders Books. Enrolling with their member club means tons of 40% off coupons and free shipping from Borders.com. I give books as gifts a lot, so 40% is a huge savings.

My only big purchases this year were an absolutely necessary refrigerator and a laptop. I got the refrigerator from a local appliance dealer who agreed to give me an additional 5% off for paying cash and I chose a sale model. I also insisted on (politely but firmly) -- and got -- free delivery. I shopped very diligently over months to get a good price on a computer. I ended up with an HP purchased from Costco.com when they were discontinuing the model. I purchased from Costco because their warranty is two years (rather than the one most other people offer) and their user support service is in the U.S. and has no time limit. I also took advantage of the Oasis education program (government subsidized) to take a class to learn about my new Windows 7.

My motto: Be frugal, but not stingy. Generosity results in good karma.

Happy holidays to all you money-savers!

Old 12-21-2010, 11:03 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
I make a double house payments ( second payment is a principal only ) and I will have my house paid off next year, just 10 years after purchase ( original loan was 30 years)
That is a huge savings on interest!

Old 12-21-2010, 11:32 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post

My motto: Be frugal, but not stingy. Generosity results in good karma.

Happy holidays to all you money-savers!
Amen to your motto. Letting "being frugal" extending to never giving or helping others is not the goal. "Oh I never send birthday cards because I don't want to buy a stamp and a $2.00 card" is one that always just grated on my nerves something bigtime!! One less something-or-other I might buy, and I can easily send that birthday or graduation card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living