Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 05:07 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,999,504 times

Advertisements

Even a $25K mobile home isn't a good deal if you are paying $700/mo rent for the space (as is usual out here). Better to buy a $150K home and actually build equity. The mobile home is more like a car - it starts losing value the moment you buy it and the valuable part of the asset (the land) belongs to someone else and you are paying the bill!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 05:25 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Here's another NZ idea.

About $5000 (plus some extras)

Old 05-19-2011, 10:39 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
I don't see any difference between that and a trailer home.

I like their wording:

Quote:
gently updated kitchen and bathroom
Trust the kiwi's to always come up with something weird............

Old 05-22-2011, 10:34 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
Seems pretty expensive for what you are getting. Plus NZ is like the USA high taxes and high cost of living.

In india tata group (yes, the multi-billion dollar conglomerate based in India) is building nano flats. Basically very cheap apartments. The basic units start at 3.9 lakh rupee (around 8.5k USD). You get 300-500 sq/ft for that price. Plus the home is BRAND NEW. Tata Housing

YouTube - NewsX Video: Tata's 'Nano' housing project

Why can't American ingenuity do this in USA?

Old 05-22-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
Even a $25K mobile home isn't a good deal if you are paying $700/mo rent for the space (as is usual out here). Better to buy a $150K home and actually build equity. The mobile home is more like a car - it starts losing value the moment you buy it and the valuable part of the asset (the land) belongs to someone else and you are paying the bill!

I have never understood the appeal of mobile homes. Instant depreciation plus lot rent make it a bad deal.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:22 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I can't help but wonder, if New Zealand can sell, small, inexpensive stick-built houses "off the lot" why can't America? This a great, affordable house. Check out the others on the same site.

(By the way, 48,000 New Zealand dollars is $37,830 USD at today's exchange rate)

Real estate for sale - COUPLES COTTAGE FOR REMOVAL UNDER 65SQM - Trade Me Property

20yrsinBranson
Most of what makes real estate expensive is the land and land use laws/regulations. The house itself is secondary.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:26 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I have never understood the appeal of mobile homes. Instant depreciation plus lot rent make it a bad deal.

Because a lot of people still think mobile homes = 1960's trailer park. Yes, a lot of places are still like that.

But I think of a home like this on my own quarter acre. Well, not exactly like that, but you get the idea

Old 05-22-2011, 10:27 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
Quote:
Why can't American ingenuity do this in USA?
Who wants to live in 300 square feet? Buildings like that in the USA would end up as crack houses in 5 years.

America is a large country with only 2% of it's land mass classified as "urban". We've got tons of space, so why not use it. Everyone here in rural PA has houses on 2-5 acres and there is still tons of empty land and forest, in fact almost all of it empty farmland and forest.

I have no desire to live cooped in some north korean style ghetto gulag where everything is the same. If people want to do that, they can have at it, but it wont be me.

There are 2 prolific posters on this board that extoll such living and in addition are road/car haters and both live in semi urban environments, one for sure in a mcmansion. As usual people like to flaunt these big ideas of communist style living but don't do it themselves.

Yes I understand that those places are for India and the up and coming economic class but it's a cog in the treadmill to something better.

I'm all for being frugal, but austere, no.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Who wants to live in 300 square feet? Buildings like that in the USA would end up as crack houses in 5 years.

<waving arms frantically> I do, I do! (line stolen from a gum commercial)

I am SO TIRED of renting rooms in noisy houses occupied by partiers, thieves, homebodies with no job and no life outside the home (since they never go out, all their friends come over to party down!)

300 square feet of my own space would beat the heck out of what I have now...a 150 sq ft room in a small crowded house where EVERY ROOM is right next to/above/below the NOISY LIVING ROOM.

I don't have a car or a license, and need to live close to public transportation, so 98 percent of the land mass is of no dwelling use to me.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:42 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
Quote:
<waving arms frantically> I do, I do! (line stolen from a gum commercial)

I am SO TIRED of renting rooms in noisy houses occupied by partiers, thieves, homebodies with no job and no life outside the home (since they never go out, all their friends come over to party down!)

300 square feet of my own space would beat the heck out of what I have now...a 150 sq ft room in a small crowded house where EVERY ROOM is right next to/above/below the NOISY LIVING ROOM.

I don't have a car or a license, and need to live close to public transportation, so 98 percent of the land mass is of no dwelling use to me.
So you think it will be quieter in a cement block $8000 apartment that any naredowell can afford? It will be crack house central in no time.

There are plenty of studio or loft apartments in most cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living