Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 10:45 AM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Looks like a trailer/mobile home...and that price doesn't include the land, just the home. Companies like Tumbleweed Homes have been offering similarly-priced stick-built homes for a while:

Tumbleweed Tiny House Company
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
I want the Enesti!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Who wants to live in 300 square feet? Buildings like that in the USA would end up as crack houses in 5 years.

America is a large country with only 2% of it's land mass classified as "urban". We've got tons of space, so why not use it. Everyone here in rural PA has houses on 2-5 acres and there is still tons of empty land and forest, in fact almost all of it empty farmland and forest.
So a small, efficient home cannot be built rurally? Rural homes are, by definition, as big as an aircraft hangar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
<waving arms frantically> I do, I do! (line stolen from a gum commercial)

I am SO TIRED of renting rooms in noisy houses occupied by partiers, thieves, homebodies with no job and no life outside the home (since they never go out, all their friends come over to party down!)

300 square feet of my own space would beat the heck out of what I have now...a 150 sq ft room in a small crowded house where EVERY ROOM is right next to/above/below the NOISY LIVING ROOM.

I don't have a car or a license, and need to live close to public transportation, so 98 percent of the land mass is of no dwelling use to me.
I do too. Right now I live in about 350 sq ft. That's more than enough for me. But it's mot a permanent situation.

Problem is, there is a huge "official" bias against smaller traditional homes, and there isn't as much profit for designers/builders building small homes. This is changing slowly. Lawsuits are starting to change zoning restrictions against reasonable homes and a few architects/builders are starting to see the light--there is a market for reasonable homes. Tumbleweed Houses was mentioned earlier on the thread. Here is an architect that designs some small homes and plans "pocket neighborhoods": Ross Chapin Architects Check out some of his cottages, like the "Backyard Cottage." There are a few more as well, who are rebelling against the unavailability of anything except huge barn-sized homes.

The best place to find a small/tiny home right now is probably looking at older homes. 400 to 600 square feet was, at one time, not out of the ordinary at all. If you can find one in good shape and in a decent area, you'll find that most of them were built better than homes are nowadays.

I've been planning a move for a long time to bare land that I bought in North Dakota and building a small home (my house plan is around 280 sq ft). However, I recently found a small home around my area that is about 390 sq ft (there is an addition that makes it about 700 sq ft, but that could easily be torn down, taking it back to the original configuration). It needs a bit or work, but could be a very cute little cottage. It is in a decent area and is on a quarter acre of land. Grocery store is within a couple of blocks. Gas on the next corner. My main job is within about a mile and a half. I can get it for around 60K, thanks to the "real estate bust." A few years ago you couldn't touch even bare land in that area for twice that. It's oh-so-tempting. I keep reminding myself that I'd rather live in North Dakota. But I must admit, I do really like this little home.

It's too bad we've turned to a "super-size" society. Those little homes have so much character and they bring back fond memories of my childhood when many homes were still built small. The "size boom" came mainly about the time when I was a teen. So I still have clear memories of those cute little homes they used to build. Many of my extended family lived in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 04:16 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
I wouldn't want to live in something that a F1 tornado could tear to splinters.

Witness this post: //www.city-data.com/forum/fruga...top-being.html

Old 05-29-2011, 05:47 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,141,697 times
Looks like a shanty. My mom lives in a 800 sft, 2 bedroom, 1 bath brick home on an average lot with a 1 car garage. She lives in a medium sized burb outside of Detroit. Her house is worth 35k. Go to Detroit if you want cheap.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:03 PM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post

A 400 sq ft home can be built just as well or better than a 5000 sq ft home. The size of the home needn't indicate quality. I'm not sure why the correlation is often made. Why is it we tend to assume a small home is made of orange crates just because it's small?

Old 05-30-2011, 02:27 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
<waving arms frantically> I do, I do! (line stolen from a gum commercial)

I am SO TIRED of renting rooms in noisy houses ...
300 square feet of my own space would beat the heck out of what I have now...a 150 sq ft room in a small crowded house where EVERY ROOM is right next to/above/below the NOISY LIVING ROOM.

I don't have a car or a license, and need to live close to public transportation, so 98 percent of the land mass is of no dwelling use to me.
Not sure where you are, maybe you can find a senior housing co-op
Senior Cooperative Foundation (This list is in no means exhaustive)

Old 06-05-2011, 04:29 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post

A properly built and anchored small house would actually be much stronger then a large house because of the numbers of cross members bracing each other in the construction and the closer spacing. That is why the safest room in your house during a tornado is usually an interior bathroom.

Old 06-05-2011, 04:32 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,914,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
Seems pretty expensive for what you are getting. Plus NZ is like the USA high taxes and high cost of living.

In india tata group (yes, the multi-billion dollar conglomerate based in India) is building nano flats. Basically very cheap apartments. The basic units start at 3.9 lakh rupee (around 8.5k USD). You get 300-500 sq/ft for that price. Plus the home is BRAND NEW. Tata Housing

YouTube - NewsX Video: Tata's 'Nano' housing project
The housing may be cheap, but the wages are equally cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living