Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 05:13 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,077,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starr.R View Post

I agree! I haven't learned that much from the show, not like I'd hoped. Like I said, I wouldn't do the things they do. I can't imagine a stockpile that takes up an entire garage! I stock up for hurricane season, and so that I have backup so I don't run out of basic supplies.
I do have a stockpile, in my basement and some stock in other areas of my house like my bathroom cabinets and such ...not under the bed (like the one lady)
It's not huge like some, but I do have about 2 years worth of toilet paper and paper towels...mostly gotten for free. I DID NOT clear shelves to get it, or steal papers etc. My friends, family, church members and co-workers save coupons for me, and I work newspapers into my deals at places like CVS.. I also make frequent use of the coupon exchange at the library.
Most avid couponers that stockpile agree, a good stockpile is built over time. Deals come around again (or used to) you buy enough to get you through to the next time it goes on deep discount, so that instead of running out to buy X item at whatever price the stores are charging at that time, you can go to your stockpile and get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 06:08 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,034,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftmyheartintennessee View Post
CHUCK STEAK: Got a letter from Krogers telling about changes that were coming to the stores and the ways that Kroger is" working to bring the most value for your shopping dollars".
This is what they wrote about coupons. "With the changing landscape of coupons" beginning September 14 ... no longer double or triple manufacturers coupons. Don't know what they mean by changing landscape...Anyway, they go on to list the different programs they do offer their customers.
well, she's not a senior so the 10% discount isn't going to help her. Poor thing. Thanks for telling me what the letter said.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:43 PM

866 posts, read 1,137,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
H.E.B is cheaper then Kroger's.
No H.E.B. here in denison.

Our choices are ALBERTSON'S,(way too expensive for me), KROGER'S, WAL-MART, TARGET(haven't bought groceries there yet) and SAVE-A-LOT.

Buy mostly canned goods at S-A-L, they seem to have the best everyday prices for that, meat I check the sales ads first, usually find the best prices at krogers though, and they do markdowns on meat and fresh produce.

most everything else is bought at Wally World. I'm very seldom in the area where Target is. It's funny, I don't associate grocery shopping with Target.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:53 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,801,652 times
H.E.B is cheaper then Walmart and its more fresh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftmyheartintennessee View Post
No H.E.B. here in denison.

Our choices are ALBERTSON'S,(way too expensive for me), KROGER'S, WAL-MART, TARGET(haven't bought groceries there yet) and SAVE-A-LOT.

Buy mostly canned goods at S-A-L, they seem to have the best everyday prices for that, meat I check the sales ads first, usually find the best prices at krogers though, and they do markdowns on meat and fresh produce.

most everything else is bought at Wally World. I'm very seldom in the area where Target is. It's funny, I don't associate grocery shopping with Target.

Old 09-16-2011, 05:16 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,034,760 times
Quote:
H.E.B is cheaper then Walmart and its more fresh.
I find that here too, but not every city has a HEB

Old 09-16-2011, 05:45 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,996,842 times
Believe it or not (and this may challenge some ethically and myself included), I got a tip from someone that if you go to the post office and say you're new there, they'll give you a newcomers something or other and it has lots of coupons in there. We were talking about Lowes and the like.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:53 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,694,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Believe it or not (and this may challenge some ethically and myself included), I got a tip from someone that if you go to the post office and say you're new there, they'll give you a newcomers something or other and it has lots of coupons in there. We were talking about Lowes and the like.
Have you tried it yet?

Old 09-21-2011, 11:31 PM

2,164 posts, read 1,652,077 times
Quote:
The Millionaire Next Door is a great book.

How acurate are the facts in the that book though?
I couldn't say, but since Dave Ramsey recommends the book, I'd say it's probably fairly accurate. I read the book long before I knew about Dave R, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
Most avid couponers that stockpile agree, a good stockpile is built over time. Deals come around again (or used to) you buy enough to get you through to the next time it goes on deep discount, so that instead of running out to buy X item at whatever price the stores are charging at that time, you can go to your stockpile and get it.
Yep,that's it exactly. I want to only buy things when they are on sale, and "go shopping" in my stock whenever possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
I've gotten their change of address forms (cuz for a while there, we moved quite often due to Hubby's job), and there's always a Lowe's coupon in there for 10% off. Just go to the self-serve counter where they have labels and such.
I agree--I won't do anything unethical, espc. not just for a coupon.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:33 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,801,652 times
I like Plastic Jungle's website.

I buy gift cards there and walk in the store knowing tha I will get atleast 15% off of everything plus more.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:27 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,326,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Wondering where all of you find coupons that you use??

Newspapers and where else? I want to give this a shot...but no longer have newspaper subscription.

Thanks
Don't need them. Buy generic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living