Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 03:18 PM

29,819 posts, read 24,891,001 times

Advertisements

I have been interested in some of these online coupons, but I have not been motivated enough to spend the time sorting it all out. I stick with the coupons in the Sunday paper. After comparing the prices of some items after coupons to the stores I typically shop at for groceries, I do just fine without the coupons.

I know the large stores have strangled many smaller grocery stores, but here, there are a few small ones that have great prices. There is a Mexican produce store down the street from me, and I typically spend about $20 bucks a week for groceries there. Sticking to fruits, veggies and fresh meats has kept my food expenses exceptionally low, and my refrigerator and pantry is always jam packed. The key is avoiding prepackaged and prepared foods, and learning how to cook delicious food yourself... Your basically paying extra for something you could be doing at home when you buy prepackaged foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 03:45 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times
That is the best way...."shop the perimeter" of the store-the inner aisles are for packaged/pre-made foods and the outer is for dairy, fruits and veggies etc.

But I still slip into the aisle with Cheezits sometimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I have been interested in some of these online coupons, but I have not been motivated enough to spend the time sorting it all out. I stick with the coupons in the Sunday paper. After comparing the prices of some items after coupons to the stores I typically shop at for groceries, I do just fine without the coupons.

I know the large stores have strangled many smaller grocery stores, but here, there are a few small ones that have great prices. There is a Mexican produce store down the street from me, and I typically spend about $20 bucks a week for groceries there. Sticking to fruits, veggies and fresh meats has kept my food expenses exceptionally low, and my refrigerator and pantry is always jam packed. The key is avoiding prepackaged and prepared foods, and learning how to cook delicious food yourself... Your basically paying extra for something you could be doing at home when you buy prepackaged foods.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:46 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,694,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Anyone watch the Extreme Couponing show?
The dude spent almost $500 and paid like $15 out the door.
What channel is it on?

Old 08-09-2011, 03:54 PM

14,459 posts, read 20,637,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Anyone watch the Extreme Couponing show?
The dude spent almost $500 and paid like $15 out the door.
That show is not the way it is in reality.
It was staged for the viewers.

Old 08-13-2011, 05:49 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,313,804 times
I went to Walmart today for my monthly shopping. My bill before coupons was $118.05. and after my coupons were deducted, it came to 90.49. So I saved $27.56.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:27 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,028,994 times
The "extreme couponers" are usually buying absolute crap.
Chef Boyardee and that kind of thing.

Not a big problem once in a while, but when your house is stocked with,
well, absolute crap, that's what you're eating b/c you're so happy to have gotten it for "free or next to that."

No thanks.
I'll continue to combine my coupons with store specials on decent items
and buy the perimeter items when on sale.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:29 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,313,804 times
I don't buy crap. Cereal is over $1.00 cheaper at Walmart than the grocery stores, and coupons make it even cheaper. I had a coupon (two of them) for $2.00 off on Kingston charcoal. I bought two bags for $5 each, and got them for $3, I also had a coupon for a free box of L'Oreal hair color. I buy my non-meat items at Walmart with coupons. I buy meat from Costco, ethnic grocery stores, and major grocery chains when it's on sale. I only buy items that I need and can use, I don't buy unecessary items.

If I had bought what I bought at a major grocery store, it would have cost me over $200.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:10 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,028,994 times
I was talking about the "Extreme Coupon" show.

I too use coupons and combine w/ store specials, as I mentioned above,
and go to the store that has the better price on whatnot.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:51 AM

17,353 posts, read 16,498,076 times
I look through the coupons that come in the newspaper but usually there are only a handful that I will actually use. Coupons do save us money, but not even close to the huge amounts you see on those shows.

We get coupons in the mail and we use those to save money at local restaurants and on car repair/maintenance. Those deals can add up to some big savings over the course of a year.

Also we pick up Roomsaver coupon books to get discounts on hotel rooms.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:14 PM

970 posts, read 2,212,825 times
Sometimes you can find coupons in the stores themselves. Today at Target the laundry detergent I normally buy was on sale. If you bought 2 then you also got a $5 giftcard. I bought the extra box because it was on sale anyway and now I won't have to buy it for awhile. I also have an extra $5 to spend in giftcard form.

At Safeway I always go through the clearance section where the coupons are attached to the products. I've gotten 50% off paper towels (the package only had a tiny hole), 50% off vitamins (not even close to expiring), 50% off canned goods and cereals (so what if it's slightly dented...lol), and assorted other paper products. I also buy the 50% off clearance meat. If you check things over you can find some good stuff. On one good day a few months ago I got ground turkey, assorted cuts of beef, chicken breast, and pork loin. The retail before the coupons was about $200 and my final bill was $98. I have a big freezer so I just throw the meat in there and eat it over time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living