Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 03:55 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,278,236 times

Advertisements

This will sound strange, but I work at an aluminum foundry and we put red potatoes in the molten aluminum to release nitrogen. A few months ago I filled in for the purchasing manager while he was on medical leave an used to pick up 50 pound bags for $8.95 and a local store that sells bulk foods. I haven't had to do that for awhile, but recently I was in that store and noticed that the price of that bag of potatoes is now $19.95! I usually think of 'taters as a pretty cheap food but that's a significant jump. Has anyone else seen this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 04:04 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,169,902 times
Red potatoes have gone up in price here, duster, but ordinary baking Russets have come down to $2 per 10 lb bag.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:07 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Boyfriend wanted steak tonight, which is out of the usual budget, but a special occasion at his work had warranted a semi-splurge. So I stopped at the market on the way home from work...my total bill for 2 ribeyes, two baking potatoes, salad greens, and fresh mushrooms was more than a steak dinner for two out at one of KC's steakhouses. It was delicious, but it would have been cheaper to go out. And neither of us would have had to do dishes.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:39 PM

Yeah, sometimes eating out at one of the cheaper restaurants or fast food joints is cheaper. You probably couldn't make some burgers like a Burger King double cheeseburger at home for $1 or whatever they're charging now. Nor fries, when you consider the labor involved.

Let's see, I have the ingredients for what you ate but a lot of was on sale. The ribeyes I got for $3 per lb, so that would have been $6. The baking potatoes would have been about 20 cents, the mixed organic salad greens with oil and balsamic vinegar dressing would have cost about $2 for two, and fresh mushrooms (which I don't have) would be about $2 if cooked in the steak juices, for a nice little pile per person. So that would have been about $10.20 for two. However it does take some knowledge and preparation to make the steaks as tasty as a steakhouse's, so there's something to be said for that. My ribeye was pretty good with simply broiling it, though.

Pizza is something you simply can't make at home the same as you can get from a good pizza parlor, there is a special flour and special pizza ovens, so even though it's more expensive eating out that's the only way to get it really good (yeah I know every gourmet type thinks they can make better pizza at home ...... but not so far to my taste).

Ethnic restaurants are often like that too, they can get fresh seasonings that we can't get, so it's worth eating out once in a while for a splurge.

But in general, it's much cheaper depending on current prices, and can be much healthier to cook at home.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:57 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
The issue is that meat is through the roof, here, lately.

Which doesn't ordinarily affect us, as I usually cook meatless with no problem. So once in a while, splurging on steak is fine.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:09 AM

16,394 posts, read 30,296,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
It does depend on where one lives. I spent 30+ years on Kodiak Island in Alaska, and the only way we had fresh fish was to either catch it or know someone who did. None at all for sale in the grocery stores... once right before I left a friend from one of the villages sent me ~100 lbs of salmon so fresh it was still twitching. A week later I ran into him in one of the grocery stores and we saw frozen salmon - brought in from off island - for about 45.00 for one that was smaller than any he'd sent me. And in the early '90s we were paying 4.00/gal for milk that came fresh from the mainland, instead of being shipped frozen.

Every time I want to complain about prices in Chicagoland, I download the weekly flyer from this website:

Untitled Document

Old 09-09-2011, 05:36 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,403,283 times
It seems the prices just get higher especially meat in my area. This week's sale include Folger's coffee for $9.99 a can. A couple of months ago I bought it for $7.99 and stocked up...wish I'd bought more. Rib eyes are on sale this week for $5.99 a pound....usually $9.99 per pound. I used to buy Frozen Jumbo shrimp when they were BOGO. A couple of months ago a bag was about $11.00...this week they are almost $17.00 per bag I won't be buying shrimp for some time. My husband likes OM bacon and I've seen one pack of that as high as $6.79. Last year in FL I could get a pack for about $3.00.

I used to use the ICBINB butter Spray and it used to be under $2.00......now it's $3.99 for a little bottle. Mayo also went through the roof...good thing I don't buy it much.

The only thing that I can consistently find the same sale on is boneless chicken breast which I buy a lot. It can still be found for $1.99 per pound and sometimes $1.79 per pound.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:46 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
ethanol is the devil

Old 09-10-2011, 02:16 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,036,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Every time I want to complain about prices in Chicagoland, I download the weekly flyer from this website:

Untitled Document
they don't list any prices on this, but I'm assuming the prices are high???

Old 09-10-2011, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
ethanol is the devil
Not here, the prices have been steady. Coffee and mayo have been the main devils affecting me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living