Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 01:51 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,951,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
IMHO, Americans needs to consume LESS and invest MORE.

Investing includes buying investments, spending money to learn new skills, starting new businesses, etc.

I'm no expert in economics but I still believe frugality by itself will slow down the economy.. UNLESS the money saved by being frugal is used to invest in productive projects that'll increase our future standard of living.

But I doubt the idea of consuming less and investing more will be apparent to the average American anytime soon. Our education system fails to teach the average person how to succeed in a capitalist economy.

Rep for this. We need to invest more. You don't create wealth by spending.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 03:53 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,704,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Maybe some of those people can afford to blow money at Starbucks. Just because a lot of people are dumb with money, doesn't mean everyone is.
Exactly. And for people who make a comfortable living - they can still be living well below their means, saving and investing, not running up debt, while also spending an amount of disposable income that can seem like a lot to those who make significantly less to begin with.

As the country as a whole - people living well beyond their means is one of the reasons that we are in the current financial mess we are in. And I am sure some people didn't learn their lesson the first time around.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:05 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I think the $31,000 of Credit Card debt is grossly exagerated
That was my first thought too. I've seen stats for average being anywhere from $3000 to $5000, but never anywhere near $31k.

Median would be a more useful number anyway.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:18 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
I still see people going out to eat, drinking in bars. I cannot afford to go out to lunch every day, and get Starbucks twice a day. I wonder how the people I work with have so much more money than me. One woman wears fancy clothes, it is amazing to me. She is planning a ski trip to Aspen for Christmas.

I just don't get it.

My Grandmother never went out to dinner, except a few times. We always packed sandwiches if we went some place. She had one fancy dress for church, and several house coats for doing things at home. We had a huge garden, and canned food for winter. She used tea bags several times over. And used slivers of soap to make new soap. We did not even have a telephone until 1970. She said use the phone at work for free, and borrow the neighbor's if there is an emergency.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:13 AM

11 posts, read 21,464 times
Previously we were buying more but also manufacturing more. This created jobs *inside* the country. Now if we buy more, we are just creating jobs in China. That is not going to help our economy at all and land us in deeper debt. We cannot be successful nation if we just keep importing goods from other countries and don't export anything of our own!

Old 12-05-2011, 10:39 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinabean View Post
For my understanding, frugal does not equal austerity. That may be a once a month treat for him OR a once a day thing and he drives a 15 year old car. I enjoy discussing frugal philosophy but I try not to judge anyone else.... ... Don't judge others for how they spend theirs unless they begin to depend our our hard earned tax money to bail them out of their bad finanical decisions.
No judgement made nor intended. Don't read stuff into my post and then judge me on it!

I indulge in Starbucks. I just find the juxtaposition of "Starbucks" and "frugal" to be ironic.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:47 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
I guess the "average" American turns frugal when it gets "average" bad, whatever that is.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:32 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,811,078 times
The people who are spending like there is no tomorrow are living for TODAY. They don't have a future plan. Most likely the folks who live paycheck to paycheck but hey it drives the economy and the stock market up.

Starbucks is a rip off to me. I can make just as good as coffee at home for much cheaper.

Living below your means is common sense. You don't teach anyone to teach you.

Everyone's economy is different. One should have a plan. There are stuff we cannot control like inflation, Cost of living, unfortunate health circumstances, how the market will perform.

The economy can be a boom like the late 90's but that does not mean you have to live above your means like everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Im newly retired now and spend quite a bit of time in my local Starbucks on my Laptop so i get to see the traffic flow . One thing that has me perplexed, is, the general populus is in financial disarray from over-usage of charge cards ($31,000 for the average card holder Ive heard on TV) , jobs are in jeopardy or they have none, and the cost of living is rapidly rising ... yet places like Starbucks are cranking out $5-6.00 exotic coffee drinks in a frenzied state . I say this as i count a total of 8 Servers at my little Starbucks at 10 a.m. on this Friday morning.

Ive concluded that we Americans simply dont like to cut back on our spending , and feel entitled to get whatever we want whether in bad times or not and regardless of what we can afford . I guess our U.S. Government isnt much of an example with
its ludicrous spending and owing China the shirt off its back.

Im grateful i had Parents who bucked the common american culture and taught me how to not live beyond my means, to save while having some entertainment but not to excess, and to plan for the future instead of living for the time being.

So, im wondering HOW bad does the U.S. economy need to get before americans are willing to make severe cutbacks ? What does gasoline need to get up to....what do food prices need to be .... what financial state does our Government need to decline to.., before the general U.S. populus get alarmed enough to embrace frugality ?

Thanks for your feedback.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:34 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,874,675 times
Rep to you oddstray for having a sense of humor!

Old 12-06-2011, 08:39 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
When easy credit dries up and not b4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living