Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 07:07 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times

Advertisements

But if everyone on food stamps dropped cable service there would be layoffs at the cable companies, making the job shortage even worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 07:47 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,410,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
That is her problem not others.

Not really. When someone declares bankruptcy, it affects us all. When another person requires public assistance, it affects us all.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:54 PM

37,127 posts, read 42,193,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
But if everyone on food stamps dropped cable service there would be layoffs at the cable companies, making the job shortage even worse.
This isn't far from true. I remember during the drought the water company encouraged us to cut consumption, and everyone did. Then they jacked up the rates becasue they weren't making enough money to do all the stuff they wanted to do. Same with the electric company. Imagine trying to support the current infastructure of the average cable tv company if half the people cancelled their service. I'm thinking the customers who are left would have to kick in to pick up the slack. Then THEY would cancel...oh what a vicious cycle.

Old 12-11-2011, 12:05 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,130,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
No irony Friend ; I always get the $1.59 coffee thats on tap ... plus, i can well afford it
But you are assuming everyone getting the $5 coffee can't afford it? Seems like this is one of those everything I do is OK because I'm the exception type of post.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:11 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,034,434 times
It's getting pretty bad now, just look at all the Occupy protesters. I think people are cutting back on everything but necessities. There was a big thread on here about all the people cutting their cable. There have been threads about people cutting their cell phone plans to the bare minimum too. People are cutting back.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:58 AM

12,671 posts, read 23,800,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Not really. When someone declares bankruptcy, it affects us all. When another person requires public assistance, it affects us all.

You are right but she should not have got public assistance because of her spendings.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:00 AM

12,671 posts, read 23,800,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
It's getting pretty bad now, just look at all the Occupy protesters. I think people are cutting back on everything but necessities. There was a big thread on here about all the people cutting their cable. There have been threads about people cutting their cell phone plans to the bare minimum too. People are cutting back.
People did all these things even when they had a high income job. People live below their means even in a good economy and when the economy tanks, these same people do not have to worry about it.

Old 12-11-2011, 12:34 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
Quote:
$70K to $30K is a big drop but the only financial hit would less savings and less money for investments. $30K a year person should not have any problems pay his/her bills though.
Are you saying a person making 70K who had money left over to save should have no problem making it on 30K? I don't really think that's the case.

CAN someone survive going from making 100K to 50K? -- or 70K down to 30K -- uh, yeah they CAN -- but to quote you -- that doesn't mean the "person should not have any problems pay his/her bills."

If you make 90K a year and have a mortgage of 1400 that's certainly reasonable. If that person's income gets cut to 50K, the mortgage alone that was below one's means on 90K is not supportable on 50K -- not without drastic changes to other expenses and maybe not even then.

If you make 70K -- live below your means -- and bank say 1K in just savings a month on top of 401K and IRA deposits (which means you are paying all your bill and still have enough disposable income to save for retirement and save liquid assets) -- I dare say going down to a GROSS of 30K is more of a drop than just not having money to invest and save -- a gross of 30K would not be supportable certainly not at the level the person had been living -- and maybe not even with with DRASTIC changes -- and I'm talking beyond just cut out cable and a landline.

A GROSS of 30K is like poverty level wages to someone who has been making 70K -- even IF that person HAS been living below ones means...IF ONLY because of the difference between living below your means on 70K meant living as you wanted AND still being able to save....and making 30K means subsistence level and still BARELY paying the little bills you have.

Old 12-11-2011, 12:37 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,209,015 times
I don't see people cutting back on much of anything here. Stores are full. Restaurants are full. Life is good.

It appears some people simply can't accept things being good. They can't accept that prosperity is not some form of evil. I don't live on credit and live well within my means, but I plan on going down fighting LONG before I decide to become frugal. I bet I enjoy life a lot more than the penny pinchers!

Old 12-11-2011, 12:45 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
We got hit up side the head with frugalness a few years ago, but I don't care how much money I had, I would NEVER waste $6.-$10 at Starbucks everyday, like I see a lot of people doing.
It's like a cult of mindless sheep there. I don't even like the taste of their coffee.
I always imagine some Starbucks employees in a boardroom saying something like, "Yes, and not only will we make them call a medium coffee some foreign name, we will make them think that burned tasting coffee is good."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living