Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 03:18 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,808,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Texas User So someone who bough a house they could MORE THAN AFFORD on 90K -- bought too much house if they can't afford that home on 50-thousand?

So someone making 30-thousand should be able to live off 15K a year?

I'm done.
If they could more than afford on 90K then why would they have trouble paying the mortgage and other bills at making $50L?

The minimum wage in Texas is good enough to pay all your bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 03:58 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,703,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I don't care how much money I had, I would NEVER waste $6.-$10 at Starbucks everyday, like I see a lot of people doing.
Just because YOU consider it a "waste" does not mean that it IS a waste.

True - I would never dump $5 on a cup of coffee - but that's just me - other people enjoy it. On the flip side, I don't like cheap beer - I'm sure some people would consider what I pay for a good craft beer to be expensive. To each their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I don't even like the taste of their coffee.
Personally, I can't stand the taste of their burnt coffee either. My understanding is that they double roast it specifically because it will mix better in all of those latte, mocha whatevers - maybe it does, but I prefer plain ol black coffee.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:56 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
Quote:
If they could more than afford on 90K then why would they have trouble paying the mortgage and other bills at making $50L?
...for some reason you're having difficulty grasping the concept I'm explaining.

....because what you can well afford on 90 -- you can NOT afford on 50K
You don't see that?

With your logic the person making 50 could afford what the person making 90 can afford.
And we do know that's not true right?

Old 12-13-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
...for some reason you're having difficulty grasping the concept I'm explaining.

....because what you can well afford on 90 -- you can NOT afford on 50K
You don't see that?

With your logic the person making 50 could afford what the person making 90 can afford.
And we do know that's not true right?
Yes, but that does not mean this person will struggle from dropping down to $50K a year.

Both 90K and 50K are above what an average American makes,

Old 12-13-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Yes, but that does not mean this person will struggle from dropping down to $50K a year.
No. That's not true
A mortgage and bills that are well affordable on 90K, can cause a person to struggle on 50K.

Why you still can't see that amazes me....but whatever.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
No. That's not true
A mortgage and bills that are well affordable on 90K, can cause a person to struggle on 50K.

If they have to struggle paying thier mortgage and bills while their income dropped to $50K then they bought TOO MUCH house.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:40 PM

OMG -- can SOMEBODY please get this person to see that what is well affordable at 90K, that is not affordable on making 50K has NOTHING TO DO WITH buying too much house!..or what the average or median income in America is...or what most people should be able to live on.

IF you're struggling to pay for everything at 90K THEN you bought to much house. But just because you can't afford a 40-50 percent pay cut doesn't mean you bought to much house.

What about this is soooo hard to grasp.

It would be too much house for 50K -- but you didn't buy it making 50K you bought it when you made 90K, and at 90K you well were able to pay for all your bills, save in 401K and IRAs, etc.

Not being able to take a 40- or 50 percent pay cut doesn't mean you weren't 'frugal or lived beyond your 90K means...or that you bought too much house.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:58 PM

You can buy a $100K house at $90K or you can also buy a $250 house at $90K. The person who bought it it for $100K is living well below his/her means in this example.

If you are struggling to pay your bills at $90K then you bought too much house. This person should have taken the paycut into consideration before buying the house at $90K income though. He/she should still be able to pay all bills even if the person goes unemployed.

Quote:
OMG -- can SOMEBODY please get this person to see that what is well affordable at 90K, that is not affordable on making 50K has NOTHING TO DO WITH buying too much house!..or what the average or median income in America is...or what most people should be able to live on.

IF you're struggling to pay for everything at 90K THEN you bought to much house. But just because you can't afford a 40-50 percent pay cut doesn't mean you bought to much house.

What about this is soooo hard to grasp.

It would be too much house for 50K -- but you didn't buy it making 50K you bought it when you made 90K, and at 90K you well were able to pay for all your bills, save in 401K and IRAs, etc.

Not being able to take a 40- or 50 percent pay cut doesn't mean you weren't 'frugal or lived beyond your 90K means...or that you bought too much house.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:00 PM

Quote:
No. That's not true

Then this person should have taken buying that house into consideration knowing, he/she can be unemployed also at any point.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:09 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,078,282 times
Quote:

The issue isn't just the house, it is everything in life. I know in some areas of the country, $50K isn't much at all. Here in the mid west (Indy area), $50K for an individual won't make you rich, but you will make enough to own a reliable car, save money while you rent, and eventually be able to buy a decent home. You can pretty much find any kind of shelter/home in the Indy metro area for $150K.

The problem is that when folks make $90K/year, some will upgrade the vehicle, upgrade from one 30" HDTV to 50" HDTVs in every room of the home, max out the cable TV package, spend more on vacations, etc.. Unfortunately, most folks play the pay on a car for five or more years game or the pay for a home for 15 to 30 years game and never focus on debt reduction. Some may or may not save for retirement.

If your struggling in Indy on $50K because you used to make $90K, then you likely lived too high on the hog. You likely didn't pay down debt on your home and in this economy are likely underwater. You likely purchased $3,000+ luxury options on your vehicles, instead of saving that money for a rainy day. I see examples of this time and time again. If you are making a decent living wage in an area, but are struggling because you make $40K less than in years past, then money management wasn't there. Hopefully this downturn in the economy will cause folks who are still making good money to seriously reconsider their current level of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living