Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 11:11 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,141,697 times

Advertisements

Call me a spend thrift because I am not dumpster diving or washing poo rags to use again. ACK! My dad is a cheapskate. Yes, he has made good money decisions over the years and isn't hurting by any means but he really is a cheap arse. He just got a new tv for xmas from us kids. He was annoyed we got him a 42 in. instead of 32 in. (what man doesn't want the biggest tv possible?). Well his current tv cabinet that held an ancient tube tv will not work with his new 42 inch. So instead of going out and buying a 100 buck tv stand for his new plasma, he is cutting the top and sides off his current cabinet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 01:00 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,035,244 times
I just watched a documentary tonight on Netflix about people that get food from dumpster (usually behind Trader Joe's) and eat it. The whole neighborhood was eating from it. They said dumpsters behind Sam's and Costco were good ones too. They throw away a dozen eggs just because one broke in the carton. And they threw away dozens of whole chickens because they were going to be closed on Christmas.

I guess I could see if it was winter (cold outside) and the food was still in it's wrapping, maybe.

I talked to my family and they said they wouldn't eat from a dumpster so I guess that's out. LOL.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:21 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,252,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
there was a show on TV tonight called "Extreme Cheapskates".

This guy on the show not only took restaurant food that other patrons weren't eating, but went up to them and asked for their food if they were done. His wife was embarrassed.

Another guy rode his bike all over town looking for change. He showed some interesting places to find change. Added up he had $7.50 for dinner for him and his wife.

There was a family that used cloths instead of toilet paper. They claim to have saved about $240 a year doing that. They also bought expired food from a salvage grocer and clipped plants for salads from lawns.

These all seemed pretty extreme to me, and I'm pretty frugal (or at least I thought I was until I saw this show).

My question is, how far would go to be frugal?
`

Quote:
clipped plants for salads from lawns
A lot of people love things like dandelion greens and purslane in their salads. Nothing wrong with it, although I haven't done it myself (I do gather dandelion greens and flowers for the rabbit, though). Google dandelion green recipes and you will come up with lots and lots of different ways to prepare it. I actually will probably try it next year.

Quote:
There was a family that used cloths instead of toilet paper.
I have heard about using coth instead of toilet paper (they're called "family cloths") and, again, not something I would do but I have no problem with the idea of somebody else doing it.

Quote:
They also bought expired food from a salvage grocer
You've never shopped at the local dent and ding store? It's actually quite a big business and there are some great deals to be had.

Quote:
This guy on the show not only took restaurant food that other patrons weren't eating, but went up to them and asked for their food if they were done. His wife was embarrassed
I certainly wouldn't do this but there have been times when I've been tempted to ask someone if I could take their leftovers home for my dogs. I would never do it with a stranger but if I were out to eat with family or friends and there was a lot left over, I would probably ask if I could take it home for the dogs.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:57 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,035,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
`

A lot of people love things like dandelion greens and purslane in their salads. Nothing wrong with it, although I haven't done it myself (I do gather dandelion greens and flowers for the rabbit, though). Google dandelion green recipes and you will come up with lots and lots of different ways to prepare it. I actually will probably try it next year.

I have heard about using coth instead of toilet paper (they're called "family cloths") and, again, not something I would do but I have no problem with the idea of somebody else doing it.

You've never shopped at the local dent and ding store? It's actually quite a big business and there are some great deals to be had.

I certainly wouldn't do this but there have been times when I've been tempted to ask someone if I could take their leftovers home for my dogs. I would never do it with a stranger but if I were out to eat with family or friends and there was a lot left over, I would probably ask if I could take it home for the dogs.
I looked up "salvage grocery stores" for my area and it seems we don't have one. The closest one is about 300 miles away, so no, I haven't shopped at one.

I've taken leftovers for my dogs before, but it was MY own food, not some stranger's food. I would personally be embarrassed to ask strangers for their leftovers, even if it was for my dogs.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:04 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,252,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
I've taken leftovers for my dogs before, but it was MY own food, not some stranger's food. I would personally be embarrassed to ask strangers for their leftovers, even if it was for my dogs.
I said I've been tempted. LOL I've never actually done it.....nor would I.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:28 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
When they started dumpster diving for food, I turned it off. There is frugal... and then there is a mental disorder.

This would be kinda comical if, on the next episode of the bachelorette
one guy's date would be to take her "dumpster-diving"

The guy gives her a rose-tells her -this will be a night to remember- he blindfolds her, gets in a limo, and goes to the closest trader joes dumpster

or

"who wants to marry a dumpster-diver"?

Old 12-30-2011, 09:09 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Some of the extreme frugality seems to have mental disorder background.
In other words they are disgusting, sickening and plainly weird.
Here are a few questions to consider.
1. If you saw a quarter lying on the ground, would you pick it up?
2. If you were passing by the next day and there was another quarter lying in the same place, would you look for one there the following day, too?
3. Would you keep looking every day and picking up the quarters?
4. Would that be a "mental disorder"?
5. How are those quarters different from somebody's uneaten french fries?

If ways to improve your cash flow were lying right there in plain sight, why is it a mental disorder to avail yourself of them? To me, it is a greater mental disorder to order food to be prepared for you, and then discard it, and look with disdain at anyone who is willing to eat it.

If you are too proud to eat someone's leftovers, remember that Pride is one of the Seven Deadly Sins.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-30-2011 at 09:32 AM..

Old 12-30-2011, 09:45 AM

866 posts, read 1,137,239 times
Grew up in the late 60's. We lived outside of town,and raised a few animals...chickens, rabbits,2 pigs.

Mom would go to the nearby grocery store produce dept. and ask the
workers if she could have the cases of culled/bruised/spoiled produce
for the animals. More times than not they would tell her to take what she wanted from the dumpster out back. She would, with us kids help, get
several cases of produce, haul it home, sort through it, pulling out what she felt was still edible for us,then feed the rest to the animals...

We're alive and well and none the worse for wear...that usually was the only way we would have a variety of fresh fruit and veggies in our diet...
We were by no means rich, and food prices, although much cheaper than they are now, were still high for a lot of folks including us...

There is so much food wasted and people going without something to eat right here in this country, because businesses are worried about law suits and health depts. put too many restrictions on how to dispose of food that doesn't meet their strictest standards...

I won't say anything more...

Old 12-30-2011, 09:56 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
My in-laws are like that. They were all talking about how, when they all go out to eat, they have their glass of wine before going to the restaurant, because it costs too much there.

To that I answer, what's the point of going out in the first place?

Old 12-30-2011, 12:30 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftmyheartintennessee View Post
Grew up in the late 60's. We lived outside of town,and raised a few animals...chickens, rabbits,2 pigs.

Mom would go to the nearby grocery store produce dept. and ask the
workers if she could have the cases of culled/bruised/spoiled produce
for the animals. More times than not they would tell her to take what she wanted from the dumpster out back. She would, with us kids help, get
several cases of produce, haul it home, sort through it, pulling out what she felt was still edible for us,then feed the rest to the animals...

We're alive and well and none the worse for wear...that usually was the only way we would have a variety of fresh fruit and veggies in our diet...
We were by no means rich, and food prices, although much cheaper than they are now, were still high for a lot of folks including us...

There is so much food wasted and people going without something to eat right here in this country, because businesses are worried about law suits and health depts. put too many restrictions on how to dispose of food that doesn't meet their strictest standards...

I won't say anything more...
businesses are worried about lawsuits, because they get hammered with frivolous lawsuits-common sense is out the window now- too bad a few apples spoil the whole bunch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living