Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 05:37 AM

61,680 posts, read 87,077,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Here are a few questions to consider.
1. If you saw a quarter lying on the ground, would you pick it up?
2. If you were passing by the next day and there was another quarter lying in the same place, would you look for one there the following day, too?
3. Would you keep looking every day and picking up the quarters?
4. Would that be a "mental disorder"?
5. How are those quarters different from somebody's uneaten french fries?

If ways to improve your cash flow were lying right there in plain sight, why is it a mental disorder to avail yourself of them? To me, it is a greater mental disorder to order food to be prepared for you, and then discard it, and look with disdain at anyone who is willing to eat it.

If you are too proud to eat someone's leftovers, remember that Pride is one of the Seven Deadly Sins.
When times get tough, it's not unusual for people to start cutting back a bit, but there are other ways to improve cash flow than eat trash, dive in dumpster or reuse toilet paper.
Like every extreme - extreme cheapness is a mental disorder and should not to be confused with thrifty or practical.

There IS a difference between picking up a quarter off the ground and picking french fries off the ground AND eating them.
I would not eat left over food already partially eaten by a strangers or dive in a dumpster.
I am not THAT hungry!
I think people who do so are not THAT hungry either. They are just mentally disturbed, possessed by an idée fixe that extreme savings is going to change their lives.
They live in a places filled with stuff scavenged from the streets, eat food dug out of the dumpster and spend their days obsessively thinking how to save another penny.
I could imagine that they also save on hygiene, thinking twice about using a soap and washing their hands. They rather spit on them and rub on their clothes.
Extreme savers will save on bath water too, collecting rain water and reusing till it gets muddy. They will not wash clothes or bed sheets, just get some cleaner from Salvation Army.
Those people will sacrifice simple comforts of life and refuse to turn on the a/c even if it's 90 degrees in the house, go to bed when is getting dark and avoid turning on any lights in the house unless absolutely necessary, because they are obsessed with not spending money.
They are living sad, lonely, deprived life...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 08:00 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I am not THAT hungry!
I think people who do so are not THAT hungry either. They are just mentally disturbed, possessed by an idée fixe that extreme savings is going to change their lives.
Well, I think people are mentally disturbed if they have the idee fixe that every need or desire can be satisfied just by picking money off a tree and throwing it at it. You might be that rich, but people of limited wealth who choose to regulate their cash flow are not "mentally disturbed". Not as much so as those who have a common psychosis in which they believe that everything and everyone are, by default, too dirty to touch.

You might want to re-evaluate your social mindset, if you feel that everyone is "mentally disturbed" if they have a different set of day-to-day priorities than the ones you feel comfortable with.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-31-2011 at 08:10 AM..

Old 12-31-2011, 08:10 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Well, I think people are mentally disturbed if they have the idee fixe that every need or desire can be satisfied just by picking money off a tree and throwing it at it. You might be that rich, but people of limited wealth who regulate their cash flow are not "mentally disturbed". Not as much so as those who have a common psychosis in which they believe that everything and everyone are too dirty to touch.
I think what the folks are getting at is that there is a limit to how extreme one can go before it's ridiculous.

Managing money by buying cheap toilet paper is fine. Washing toilet paper for reuse.... crazy.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I think what the folks are getting at is that there is a limit to how extreme one can go before it's ridiculous.

Managing money by buying cheap toilet paper is fine. Washing toilet paper for reuse.... crazy.
What you're not getting is that that limit is in different places for different people. You don't get to set the limit for everybody.

You are the second poster just today who has made a clinical psychiatric evaluation of people who don't happen to share your own hangups.

I dare you to go over to the Pets Forum and tell people there that they are crazy or mentally disturbed because their attachment to their pets goes beyond your own personal limits.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-31-2011 at 10:28 AM..

Old 12-31-2011, 11:09 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,073,567 times
Quote:

You might want to re-evaluate your social mindset, if you feel that everyone is "mentally disturbed" if they have a different set of day-to-day priorities than the ones you feel comfortable with.
Did you even read her post? There is a big difference between being frugal and being like Scrooge.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:13 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
I dare you to go over to the Pets Forum and tell people there that they are crazy or mentally disturbed because their attachment to their pets goes beyond your own personal limits.
They already don't like me anymore. I suggested they create demand for dogs by legalizing dogmeat as a solution to the dog overpopulation. It could also help feed folks without food. I got a big nay from them.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
Did you even read her post? There is a big difference between being frugal and being like Scrooge.
The posts I referred to were those that characterized as "crazy" and "mentally disturbed" those who went beyond the poster's personal boundaries.

When you consider how many Americans are living payday-to-payday and/or are carrying a ponderous credit card balance, there is nothing at all impractical or unrealistic or clinically psychotic about acquiring discarded food that does not need to be paid for, or minimizing the use of household products that do need to be paid for.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-31-2011 at 02:39 PM..

Old 12-31-2011, 03:29 PM

929 posts, read 2,092,287 times
I agree, no dumpster diving for me. I saw a local newscast of a lady that went dumpster diving for food behind grocery stores pretty much daily. The newscaster went to her house for dinner that she fixed with the found food. It was amazing how much food was thrown out. It looked like it was still packaged and in fairly good shape. Its crazy that these grocery stores aren't giving this food to help feed the homeless instead of throwing it all away.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:30 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,152,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
My in-laws are like that. They were all talking about how, when they all go out to eat, they have their glass of wine before going to the restaurant, because it costs too much there.

To that I answer, what's the point of going out in the first place?

I see nothing wrong with doing this. Alcohol is very expensive when you order it out somewhere.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:53 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,751,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debtmonger View Post
I agree, no dumpster diving for me. I saw a local newscast of a lady that went dumpster diving for food behind grocery stores pretty much daily. The newscaster went to her house for dinner that she fixed with the found food. It was amazing how much food was thrown out. It looked like it was still packaged and in fairly good shape. Its crazy that these grocery stores aren't giving this food to help feed the homeless instead of throwing it all away.
I think it has to do with health code violations. They may be required to dispose of damaged or near expired products.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living