Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 10:42 AM

10,637 posts, read 12,196,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
07 gives money to any and everyone based on their "need", leaving someone that might not need government assistance forced to work and work hard only to see their money taken away through progressive taxation to help pay for his neighbors that produce nothing.

Uh, yeah. But who wants to live at that low a level that you NEED the help? I'm blessed, I know, but last time I looked, I'm living better and at a higher level than people on welfare or qualify for any kind of government assistance.

Quote:
08 allows people to incur and rack up massive debt and never have to pay it back due to chapter 7 bankruptcy "protection."

Again who wants to live like that. With a credit score below 500. Worried about collection agencies calling, robbing Peter to pay Paul. I simply CAN NOT incur bills or buy things I KNOW I can't pay for -- or INTENDING TO not pay for it.

GRANTED, if a person is uber irresponsible he/she may not CARE about that, all that won't bother them. They could sleep like a baby anyway. I PERSONALLY couldn't live like that.

SO FOR ME it IS just easier to work at what I enjoy, pay my bills, and not worry about getting caught because I'm cheating the system, or living at such a low subsistance level -- JUST BECAUSE Congress keeps racking up national debt.

When I was months out of grad school and still unemployed I went to apply for welfare. I didn't even know anything about it, except that it was for helping people who didn't work.

Now granted I am kind of snooty. But the WAY those workers treated people applying for welfare...the tone they used to TALK to people, like they were stupid, or less-than, like the workers were doing applicants a favor by even deigning to speak to them. If they addressed you at all. People had to sit for hours to be seen. The treatment was not professional at all. I was offended and I hadn't even been seen yet.

Just sitting there in that environment -- I knew -- there is no way in the world I'm going to deal with THIS. I can't have people talk to me and treat me like this.

So for me YES it is easier to just work.

I agree with all the following:
Quote:
-- We live frugally so that excess money piles up and someday working is an option, not a requirement.
-- Because our government will survive - but we might not.
-- But we can earn it almost as easily.

Last edited by selhars; 01-08-2012 at 10:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 12:05 PM

5,511 posts, read 6,365,264 times
Our government can't be frugal! Who would provide for the masses of people who refuse to work and live frugally themselves, right?

Old 01-08-2012, 03:27 PM

164 posts, read 560,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
Our government can't be frugal! Who would provide for the masses of people who refuse to work and live frugally themselves, right?
The government doesn't provide a damn thing! They take the money from someone else, aka "redistribution of wealth."

Old 01-08-2012, 03:55 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,358,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerGrl View Post
The government doesn't provide a damn thing! They take the money from someone else, aka "redistribution of wealth."
Our government would be in the black today if we hadn't have fought the longest war in United States history with borrowed money, egged on by the very people who are now tossing around unsubstantiated campaign slogans like "redistribution of wealth." Were you equally concerned about our economy when that was going on? What did you do about it? In previously fought wars, citizens were asked to make sacrifices in order to finance the war. Did you make any sacrifices? Do you work for a corporation that made sacrifices? Do you have your money/investments in a bank that made sacrifices?

Old 01-08-2012, 09:40 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,146,903 times
Because what I do, and what is right is independent of what anyone and everyone else is doing.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:51 AM

26,063 posts, read 22,268,288 times
So we can pay our taxes!

Old 01-09-2012, 07:48 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,517,786 times
Frugal people already pay less taxes! If you buy a fuel-efficient vehicle with the intention of paying less for gas, you already pay less gas taxes!

If you buy a smaller, cheaper house, you already pay less property taxes. And if you rent, you don't pay property taxes.

Seems fair that we pay less to the unfrugal government (in other words, working as intended.)

Old 01-09-2012, 07:55 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,267,237 times
Why? Because when the government eventually runs out of fiscal road, so to speak, you'll be better able to insulate yourself against the inevitable financial chaos that will ensue.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:40 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,902,345 times
Because bottom line is we need to take care of ourselves. The government, hopefully, will eventually learn. Europe is learning the hard way too. When you put other people instead of yourselves, you are bound to screw up.

Could you imagine living on a very strict budget or fixed income...and taking care of someone else? The gesture is honorable, but holy crap, what are you doing to help yourself?

Old 01-09-2012, 03:40 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,358,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Frugal people already pay less taxes! If you buy a fuel-efficient vehicle with the intention of paying less for gas, you already pay less gas taxes!

If you buy a smaller, cheaper house, you already pay less property taxes. And if you rent, you don't pay property taxes.

Seems fair that we pay less to the unfrugal government (in other words, working as intended.)
We also don't pay sales tax if we don't buy anything. Which is why I'm always in favor of raising sales tax IF some kind of tax has to be raised. Let the people who buy boats, luxury cars, expensive furniture, spas and pools, gigantic TVs, smartphones, etc., etc. pay the taxes. Those are not items necessary to live. People who are living frugally will be spared from participating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living