Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 03:46 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,351,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
Because bottom line is we need to take care of ourselves. The government, hopefully, will eventually learn. Europe is learning the hard way too. When you put other people instead of yourselves, you are bound to screw up.

Could you imagine living on a very strict budget or fixed income...and taking care of someone else? The gesture is honorable, but holy crap, what are you doing to help yourself?
I'm on an unbelievably strict budget and I'm taking care of my 85-year-old mother whose expenses for health and home care, even with an insurance package to supplement her Medicare, exceeds her Social Security. If I didn't take care of her, she'd be in a home and she'd be the public's problem. The mental stress and physical strain are probably shortening my life but what am I supposed to do? But I thank God every day for Social Security and Medicare. Without it, we WOULD need death panels. For her AND me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 12:24 PM

111 posts, read 150,245 times
I think you guys living frugal are way ahead of the game.

The government will be forced some day to really tighten it's belt.

By the bondmarket.

Once the guys controlling that market realize they get wiped out of huge sums each year there will be a bond crash.

in US treasury bonds.

Afterwards, nobody will be willing to lend the US some sort of money (if not for outrageous interest).

The outcome of that will be total austerity, a much reduced state and probably more personal freedom.

Those who have been living beyond their means (in my opinion > 90 % of the US population) will have a rough awakening.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:06 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,795 posts, read 58,282,396 times
Why should we live frugally when the government won't?

to set a good example for our children (who are now our leaders )

Old 01-10-2012, 02:29 PM

30,911 posts, read 37,055,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerGrl View Post
Don't delete, or don't live frugally? It's frustrating to read everyone's good efforts to save a few dollars here and there, only to have trillions blown by politicans. It's not even real. Why don't we all just run up huge debts and go into bankruptcy, like some state governments will?
My state of Wisconsin is trying hard to balance its budget, which is being threatened by some groups. It made my day the other day to get milk at Aldi for 2.19 versus the $2.49 I had been paying elsewhere. I'll be saving, like, $30 a year. It's a huge dichotomy that makes me wonder why I should even try. What is the national debt per person? Tens of thousands of dollars? I can't even conceive of a trillion dollars, can you?
Answer: Because the discipline of saving spills over into other aspects of life as well. People who are conscientious with their money are more likely to be conscientious of their health, their relationships, etc. In general, disciplined people are happier than undisciplined people.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 01-10-2012 at 02:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living