Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 05:07 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,461,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
I think the whole problem is, G.W. seeing what the ebay sellers are making off of what they buy from them cheap. If you sold a dress for a dollar, then saw it sell on ebay for $300, wouldnt you think you'd sold way too low? If you go read the clothing sellers ebay forum, it is amazing what kind of money these folks are making. Some have bought homes, cars vacations and tons are supporting whole families on selling what they've bought from G.W..

While I dont begrudge the sellers from making a living, they have ruined it for the poor to shop. The sellers work very hard at rifling through the junk, listing and shipping, so it is a job. But the other side of the coin is the charity not making the "big bucks", and the truly in need, having some extreme competition. The sellers say the poor needs to get off their butts and beat them to the good buys.

I dont see a answer to this problem. But I do feel for G.W. and its reason for being. But, if you could pay a dollar for a sweater, and sell it for $1800...would you? That happens all the time on ebay. I had no clue clothing went for so much, till I started reading the groups. Some even say they have to hide the fact they are re-sellers, or G.W. gives them a hard time or tries to raise the price. They say G.W. even checks ebay now to see what a item has sold for.

Bottom line, I cant really blame either side, but this IS the reason you're seeing higher prices.

I had a feeling the people selling on ebay were picking up items from places like GW, so, no I'm not suprised about the pricing of items skyrocketing all over the place. I used to find great deals on ebay, that's hardly the case in the past few years. I don't see an immediate solution and I agree,you are right, it's understandable that people see an opportunity to line their pockets, in the land where capitlism is the most important value, why consider the other person's circumstances. I don't mean that towards those that are using it as a means to provide for themselves out of necessity.

Ebay isn't what it used to be, a couple of years ago, I bought a pair of New Balance 801 slides, brand new, for $5 with shipping came to less than $10 for the one pair, lowest price, I can find now is about $50. There are still deals at these places, just not like in the past and definately not for those dirt poor individuals that found GW and the SA as some would say a Godsend in providing a way to furnish and clothe their families. I'm sure those fathers and mothers that wake up everyday sometimes taking three buses to get to one job or even to get to two or more jobs for making miniscule paychecks would appreciate hearing those people preach to them about, hurry up and getting off their bottoms to rush to beat them to the best deals.

Last edited by TRosa; 02-11-2012 at 05:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 05:57 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,769,264 times
Agreed - I know it's off topic, but Ebay is out of the world in pricing anymore.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:49 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,184,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
I

While I dont begrudge the sellers from making a living, they have ruined it for the poor to shop.

Bottom line, I cant really blame either side, but this IS the reason you're seeing higher prices.
Tell me.....if Goodwill is/was happy to get $4 for an item, what should they care who it's coming from?
Whether from a poor person or a re-seller it's still $4 so, while it does happen, it's faulty reasoning by Goodwill and silly to blame the higher prices on the re-sellers.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:45 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
A new one near Chicago is pretty popular.
New Goodwill store in Des Plaines is 25th in the suburbs - DailyHerald.com
A lot of customers think it's a good deal.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:28 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,446,085 times
Here in NH, the stuff in the local GW stores is dirt cheap.
I just picked up a stage light Par38 flood (with barn doors) for $4... less than 1/20th of what they are new.

Personally, it doesn't really matter to me what they sell the stuff for (well, the more the better, as they give you a slip indicating the average selling price for items), as I just want the tax deductions to be as large as possible. (This year, 936 pieces of clothing, well over $6K deduction). Also did 614 books for last year, and 175 records. My point is, as long as I am doing good things for others, and giving it away for free, then any of the non-profits work for me. I have no control over what they sell it for.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:23 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,237,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Tell me.....if Goodwill is/was happy to get $4 for an item, what should they care who it's coming from?
Whether from a poor person or a re-seller it's still $4 so, while it does happen, it's faulty reasoning by Goodwill and silly to blame the higher prices on the re-sellers.

The reason I think its sad, is the poor, the ones who shop for their own clothing and household items at dirt cheap prices, prices they can afford, are being priced out. They also have unbelievable competition from re-sellers. Most wouldnt believe the high dollar, brand name items being donated, and resold. True story: Someone complained on Ebay about the poor not having much to choose from, after the resellers pick the stuff over. Sellers came back with "the poor dont need to wear high couture".

And your average Goodwill worker/volunteer does not know the true value of these such items either. So that $4 they price the item at, is a Huge obscene markdown. We cant expect them to have the knowledge the sellers have. If you donated a $2,000 item, hoping a down-in-out poor person was going to enjoy it, would it bother you to know a worker sold it to a re-seller for $4? Would you cringe, or stop donating to read that, the re-seller got $1800 for it and went on a cruise with your donation?

I worry donations will cease, this is a problem. In the 70's when hubby and I were "poorish", I used to go to G.W. to buy him workshirts. He could ruin one in a day. Without G.W. we would have to go without to clothe him, or he'd have gone to work topless. I'd love for todays poor to have this option also.

Last edited by breeinmo.; 02-15-2012 at 04:36 PM..

Old 02-15-2012, 04:33 PM

TRosa, I totally agree about Ebay, the deals are few and far between. In sellers defense, Ebay/Paypal/shipping fees are out of this world now. They even have to pay a % on shipping fees! Well, buyers have to pay it. I loved old Ebay, now, not so much. I've had bad luck with fragile items arriving smashed up. It hurts my heart to see a irreplaceable, antique piece of history, broken in a million pieces. And only to save on shipping costs. My last, didnt use a fraction of what I paid, and didnt even wrap the glassware.

I liked your last point about the hard working poor. Sad.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
A new one near Chicago is pretty popular.
New Goodwill store in Des Plaines is 25th in the suburbs - DailyHerald.com
A lot of customers think it's a good deal.

I tried, couldnt see it without signing up, sorry.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:45 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,139,351 times
When I lived in the Detroit area they had the most awesome thrift stores. Most were run by the Salvation Army or St. Vincent De Paul. I was the thrift store queen. I used to amaze people with my thrift store finds. My sister and I would go downtown to a huge Salvation Army store that was in a large warehouse. It was our little weekend treasure hunt. You could spend hours in there. It wasn't uncommon to pick up a coffee table, lamp or some other find for a few bucks. The stuff was beat up but useable with some paint or other fix. Totally worth the price and trouble.

When I moved to northern Indiana I thought I would have the same luck. Nada. Most of the stores here are run by Goodwill. The prices are insane and the stuff is simply garbage. If you do find something decent, they have it priced at retail. I have seen stained sofas for hundreds of dollars. Broken dressers and other furniture that need a lot more than a little glue or paint. The stuff needed to be simply thrown away. A huge disappointment. For fun I have snapped pictures of the junk with the price tag to entertain my Facebook friends. Oddly the worst offender is the St. Vincent De Paul store. I went in there last summer and found a red hoodie that was deeply faded. It looked awful and upon examination, there was a huge hole in the arm. The price tag was 8 bucks. The only deal I find are books.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:12 AM

Uggg, thats sounds horrible Falling. My sis and I used to go to yardsales and had good luck. Also our most embarrassing moment. We stopped at a "garage sale" got all 4 kids out of our car, started handling all the stuff looking for price tags. Wondered why no one helped us and nothing had prices. Then the man asked if he could help us, we said we were just looking...then he said " Yeah, and we're just cleaning out our garage". You never saw 2 women and 4 kids tuck their hineys in and rush away any faster. I bet we were so red we glowed. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living