Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 05:47 PM

22,423 posts, read 29,568,306 times

Advertisements

What a complete tool and she's an idiot for staying with him

Old 04-08-2012, 07:48 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,357,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
This is just normal behavior, isn't it?

My mother went through the depression and I think folks who have seen real poverty tend not to take food for granted. She'd save the oddest things. Her mother was even worse. She had a shed in back of the house and would hoard ridiculous things in it. She had saved so many spools of thread, and cotton thread rots over time. She would try to unravel the yarn in old sweaters. Really nuts, to me.

I think it's like those stories of a dog being really mistreated when young and always shies away from certain situations during his entire life. People are just animals like that, too. We can get very deeply hurt and it governs our behavior for the remainder of our lives if we don't get help.
No, it's NOT "normal behavior."

You said it yourself. Saving utterly ridiculous things just because you can't let go of trash is hoarding. Compulsive hoarding is considered by psychologists as a mental disorder. Many would classify it as a symptom of obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), but others believe it can be a by-product of trauma such as extreme grief or post-traumatic stress.

As for some of the other behaviors engaged in by "the world's cheapest man," they are crimes. Petty crimes perhaps, but certainly not legal.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:43 AM

Quote:
This is just normal behavior, isn't it?

My mother went through the depression and I think folks who have seen real poverty tend not to take food for granted. She'd save the oddest things. Her mother was even worse. She had a shed in back of the house and would hoard ridiculous things in it. She had saved so many spools of thread, and cotton thread rots over time. She would try to unravel the yarn in old sweaters. Really nuts, to me.

I think it's like those stories of a dog being really mistreated when young and always shies away from certain situations during his entire life. People are just animals like that, too. We can get very deeply hurt and it governs our behavior for the remainder of our lives if we don't get help.

This is 2012 not the Great Depression era. Yes the "recession" of 2008+ wasn't great but it wasn't as desperate as it was back then. There ARE jobs out there, people aren't willing to suck up their pride and do them. Making $8 an hour at MickeyD's is much better than 0 dollars right??

Anyone who does any types of those behavior as listed in the OP needs serious help. If they don't have money to be spending, then why are they going out to eat in the first place to beg for strangers left overs??? Makes NO sense to me. IF you can't afford to eat out (and that includes tipping your server properly) then DON'T GO OUT.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:54 PM

12,406 posts, read 19,009,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
No, it's NOT "normal behavior."

You said it yourself. Saving utterly ridiculous things just because you can't let go of trash is hoarding. Compulsive hoarding is considered by psychologists as a mental disorder. Many would classify it as a symptom of obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), but others believe it can be a by-product of trauma such as extreme grief or post-traumatic stress.

As for some of the other behaviors engaged in by "the world's cheapest man," they are crimes. Petty crimes perhaps, but certainly not legal.
Hey! What are you trying to do, make me look like a fool? Are you actually READING posts before you mouth off?

This is the post that I was responding to when I was referring to normal behavior:

Last weekend, I grilled a couple of big chicken breasts for my son and myself and my son didn't finish all of his. I had no problem putting it in the refrigerator until the next day when I sliced it up for a nice sandwich for myself.

I treated myself to breakfast out this morning and brought home half my omelet. I would never dream of leaving perfectly good food on my plate, at least if there's enough to make it worth my while. I wouldn't bother with a couple of bites - unless my dog was waiting for me in the car and then I will wrap the little bit up and take it to her.

I am really uncomfortable with your trying to make me look like a fool. What did I ever do to you?

Sorry, I would overlook most things, but you argue like my husband when he is in hyper attack mode, taking things out of context.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:58 PM

12,406 posts, read 19,009,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
This is 2012 not the Great Depression era. Yes the "recession" of 2008+ wasn't great but it wasn't as desperate as it was back then. There ARE jobs out there, people aren't willing to suck up their pride and do them. Making $8 an hour at MickeyD's is much better than 0 dollars right??

Anyone who does any types of those behavior as listed in the OP needs serious help. If they don't have money to be spending, then why are they going out to eat in the first place to beg for strangers left overs??? Makes NO sense to me. IF you can't afford to eat out (and that includes tipping your server properly) then DON'T GO OUT.
The next time you quote one of my posts PLEASE READ EVERYTHING. Read the actual post that I included in my response, the one that I was actually responding to. Do not pull my posts out of context.

I was in NO WAY saying the subject of this thread was NORMAL. What is WRONG with you people?

Old 04-10-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
The next time you quote one of my posts PLEASE READ EVERYTHING. Read the actual post that I included in my response, the one that I was actually responding to. Do not pull my posts out of context.

I was in NO WAY saying the subject of this thread was NORMAL. What is WRONG with you people?

I'll quote whatever I want. It wasn't directed at you. It was a general statement. Pipe down

Old 04-10-2012, 08:10 PM

23,308 posts, read 29,172,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Okay, major draw line at dumpster diving for food. I would not be married to this guy...makes me wonder about his wife.
From my own experience with tightwads (had a long-term relationship with one), they can be very sexual people. As you'd expect, they think: Hey! It's free! Don't cost anything! Great entertainment for nothing!

Who knows! His wife? They could be making whoopee every nite!

Old 04-11-2012, 09:19 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,569,612 times
This has gone off topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living