Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 11:00 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,442,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Good suggestions. Only thing is, they were posted about three pages back. And rejected by the OP. And she did ask for suggestions but none of them seem to be suitable, since the OP states that she has already thought of this. I conclude that she doesn't want suggestions for gifts other than a sackful of plastic. I think she wants somebody to tell her that it's okay to ask for the cash.
No, not at all. I would NEVER ask for the cash. I would certainly prefer to have the cash equivalent of all those 20$ plastic gifts - but thinking about it is one thing, actually asking people for cash is another.
That would be crass period.

I think there are some good ideas out there, particularly the one about being careful with the opening, giving them choices to open 2-3, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
There really is an easy solution to this. Explain to them the rules. Toys left out will be thrown away. And then act on that. You would be amazed how fast they learn.
I've done it - short of actually throwing them away.

I probably should get Nazi about it and actually do it.
Acting on it is the key.

Of course, such drastic actions don't come easy. I've been accused of "cruelty" for not allowing the kids to receive as many gifts as possible. Imagine what I would be accused of if I actually threw in the garbage can everything that was left outside - right in front of them .

Old 04-29-2012, 05:51 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Imagine what I would be accused of if I actually threw in the garbage can everything that was left outside - right in front of them .
And therein lies the secret. You don't get rid of the stuff right in front of them -- you do it at night, while they're sleeping. Remove a substantial chunk of the toys, especially the ones they don't really play with, without their knowledge. No, not their favorites, obviously -- only the ones you know they're not going to miss. I guarantee you they won't ever ask you, "Where is that blue plastic piece of crap I played with six months ago?"

Old 04-29-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
And therein lies the secret. You don't get rid of the stuff right in front of them -- you do it at night, while they're sleeping. Remove a substantial chunk of the toys, especially the ones they don't really play with, without their knowledge. No, not their favorites, obviously -- only the ones you know they're not going to miss. I guarantee you they won't ever ask you, "Where is that blue plastic piece of crap I played with six months ago?"

Where do I put them, darn it?

I have a place in the storage area in the back of the garage, on a high self - where I keep the extra toys.
It used to work but my older one learned to set the chair there and he climbs up and gets to the toy bin no problem...and then they take lots out again. I have no other storage area and certainly nothing large enough as well as lock-able where they simply could not get.

We have a somewhat smaller house than the average family with 4 children has nowadays, and even with not THAT many toys, we still don't have large "hiding"/"storing and locking" areas available for the extra toys.

Also, the constant rotating, removing and putting away...only for them to take those toys right back out in a moment of boredom...this is not un-taxing for me.

This is why I am thinking that the ideal life for us would be the literally SIMPLE life where very few toys would enter the house in the first place.

As they grew, I tried to teach them to focus on a a few things more valuable/important, including experiences...instead of lots of small trinkets...but it's not sinking in yet.

They may still be very young to appreciate true value though, my 4 yo clearly so. She happens to be the most materialistic child I have ever seen...she loves to collect all sorts of small crap, anything, including small beads, little plastic toys..ANYTHING ...and carry them around in little bags. Then of course, she gets sick of them , spreads them everywhere, and wants NEW small things to keep her attention for a while.

Phew!!

Old 04-29-2012, 09:10 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
My niece and nephews have more toys and clothing than they have room for (they get a lot of hand-me-downs from cousins a couple of years older), and my sister-in-law is not appreciative of adding to those piles. I tend to get them experiences...things like zoo passes, train tickets, admission to a children's theatre play, etc. Stuff that would add up if their parents were buying admission for themselves and all three kids, plus snacks, transportation, etc.

Outdoor things are popular, too...a tire swing for the tree in their backyard, a sandbox, etc.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:04 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,986 times
Where do you put them? You get rid of them.

But do some research ahead of time. Call around to homeless shelters, abused women's shelters, Goodwill, whatever intended recipients, and ask them if they will accept donations of used children's toys.

If no one will accept donations, then the toys either get recycled if appropriate or thrown in the trash.

You do all this out of sight and hearing of your children, or they will put up a fight. But if you get rid of excess toys without their knowledge, they will not notice or miss them. I speak from experience.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:24 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times
Quote:
Where do you put them? You get rid of them.
^^^
This.

Put them in the trunk of your car and take them to a charity.

You don't store them. You don't lock them away. Get them off the property.

I've never heard of rotating toys out of storage. Sounds like there's too much now.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
You do all this out of sight and hearing of your children, or they will put up a fight. But if you get rid of excess toys without their knowledge, they will not notice or miss them. I speak from experience.
It's a good plan and I have done it many times; but they seem to accumulate at a higher pace than I am able to donate away.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:44 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
It's a good plan and I have done it many times; but they seem to accumulate at a higher pace than I am able to donate away.
What? How often are they getting gifts?

Old 04-29-2012, 12:45 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Where do I put them, darn it?

It used to work but my older one learned to set the chair there and he climbs up and gets to the toy bin no problem...
And do you punish him after he performs this dangerous task? Seriously, take control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living