Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 10:06 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Right now he is not charged taxes because he does not have to pay taxes to an internet retailer than does not maintain a presence in his/her state. The OP is not doing anything wrong. Nobody has to pay sales tax to an internet retailer that does not have a presence in their state.

Once Amazon.com has a presence in the OP's state sales tax will be required, by law.
Actually that's not true. The OP is evading taxes that are due to the state. The law in all states that collect sales & use tax states that taxes must be paid on all goods... no matter whether they have a presence in the state or not. It's called use tax and takes place of sales tax that is not collected by Amazon.

Let's use the state Florida as an example. If you were to buy something from Amazon while residing in Florida, you would owe 6% on that purchase. By not paying that 6% you are evading taxes.

This includes:
"Purchases made through the Internet.
Mail-order catalog purchases.
Purchases made in another country.
Furniture purchased from dealers located in another state.
Computer equipment ordered from out-of-state vendors advertising in magazines."
- FL Dept Rev - Use Tax on Out-of-State Purchases

Now if you live in Delaware or another state without sales & use tax, you don't owe taxes on Amazon purchases either. It really amazes me how many people don't know their local laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 06:23 AM

858 posts, read 1,807,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentobox34 View Post

Here's another way to look at it - you could instead choose to spend your $$$ locally, in actual stores, and thereby support the financial health of your own community. That could be a more "frugal" strategy in the long run.
^^^ This is the best strategy. Sooner or later, if we don't reverse the trend, there will be no stores other than food and a few other things, since people are buying most stuff online. Sometimes they do it because there's no tax, also prices are cheaper since the online store doesn't have the overhead the actual store has, but in the end this will lead us to more poverty all around. And of course more concentration of the wealth in a few hands.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:49 AM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
And "running" a yellow light as it turns red is illegal (you know the green for the other guy is timed to not actually turn green for a second or two after yours goes red). Driving 66 mph in a 65 mph speed zone is illegal, as well. Doesn't really stop almost EVERYONE from doing these things though does it? But, no, you don't do that sort of thing, do you? Ever.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:57 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Actually that's not true. The OP is evading taxes that are due to the state. The law in all states that collect sales & use tax states that taxes must be paid on all goods... no matter whether they have a presence in the state or not. It's called use tax and takes place of sales tax that is not collected by Amazon.
Three cheers for the OP.

Three cheers for out of state sellers.

A while back some government lackies came to a Wyoming gunshow to try to collect sales tax ; there was a near riot ; they never came back.

Not that anyone seems to care in the Obama Nation but there is a flat prohibition in the Constitution of tariffs levied against other states. Scalia and Obama may not agree but that's what this sales/use tax garbage levied on or resulting from interstate commerce is.

Washington better watch out or there will be fewer states in the future.

Watching a government employee and his wife and children starve would be a beautiful thing to see.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:29 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
And "running" a yellow light as it turns red is illegal (you know the green for the other guy is timed to not actually turn green for a second or two after yours goes red). Driving 66 mph in a 65 mph speed zone is illegal, as well. Doesn't really stop almost EVERYONE from doing these things though does it? But, no, you don't do that sort of thing, do you? Ever.
The difference is that when the "crimes" that you mention are committed there are no victims (assuming none of the scenarios result in an accident, of course).

In the case of taxes, if one segment of society skips out on their responsibility more of the burden shifts to those who choose to abide by the law.

I'm personally against most forms of taxation, but as long as we use these taxes to fund our government everybody needs to pay his or her fair share.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:29 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
The difference is that when the "crimes" that you mention are committed there are no victims (assuming none of the scenarios result in an accident, of course).

In the case of taxes, if one segment of society skips out on their responsibility more of the burden shifts to those who choose to abide by the law.

I'm personally against most forms of taxation, but as long as we use these taxes to fund our government everybody needs to pay his or her fair share.
There is no fair share of an immoral and unconstitutional tax.

I am not now and never have been a government employee of any level of government. Can the posters on the other side of this argument honestly make the same statement?

Old 08-24-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Three cheers for the OP.

Three cheers for out of state sellers.

A while back some government lackies came to a Wyoming gunshow to try to collect sales tax ; there was a near riot ; they never came back.

Not that anyone seems to care in the Obama Nation but there is a flat prohibition in the Constitution of tariffs levied against other states. Scalia and Obama may not agree but that's what this sales/use tax garbage levied on or resulting from interstate commerce is.

Washington better watch out or there will be fewer states in the future.

Watching a government employee and his wife and children starve would be a beautiful thing to see.
No wonder Wyoming is reliant on the more productive states to survive. Apparently rather than paying taxes they prefer to receive welfare from other states. How about Wyoming reducing spending instead of relying on welfare? Looks like Wyoming's not frugal at all.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:15 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
There is no fair share of an immoral and unconstitutional tax.
As I stated, I am against most forms of taxation. My point was that if the guy who does his shopping at WalMart automatically has sales taxes added to his bill, the guy who does his shopping online from an out-of-state retailer should man up and pay as well. I think most rational people would understand that.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:25 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,537,016 times
Amazon just started charging tax in Texas a few months ago. I used to buy alot of items from Amazon due to the tax savings and free shipping. I suspect Amazon will drop the prices on the items further to still attract customers and keep them from buying items locally instead. Even before Amazon charged taxes in Texas, i would always check out frys.com,tanga.com, newegg.com, tigerdirect.com, buy.com, and overstock.com to compare prices. Amazon is still king right now though.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Amazon just started charging tax in Texas a few months ago. I used to buy alot of items from Amazon due to the tax savings and free shipping. I suspect Amazon will drop the prices on the items further to still attract customers and keep them from buying items locally instead. Even before Amazon charged taxes in Texas, i would always check out frys.com,tanga.com, newegg.com, tigerdirect.com, buy.com, and overstock.com to compare prices. Amazon is still king right now though.
Just can't beat Amazon's same-day delivery. We don't have any other retailer in NJ that does that.... atleast not for a few bucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living