Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 11:48 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
There is no fair share of an immoral and unconstitutional tax.

I am not now and never have been a government employee of any level of government. Can the posters on the other side of this argument honestly make the same statement?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
No wonder Wyoming is reliant on the more productive states to survive. Apparently rather than paying taxes they prefer to receive welfare from other states. How about Wyoming reducing spending instead of relying on welfare? Looks like Wyoming's not frugal at all.
Wyoming taxpayers pay out $1.13 for every dollar the federal government spends in our state, most of which is of no benefit to productive citizens.

What government agency pays for your breakfast with our money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 12:49 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Wyoming taxpayers pay out $1.13 for every dollar the federal government spends in our state, most of which is of no benefit to productive citizens.

What government agency pays for your breakfast with our money?
Actually, Wyoming RECEIVES anywhere from $1.11 to $1.16 in federal money for every dollar the Wyoming residents pay.

America's fiscal union: The red and the black | The Economist

Unlike the state of Wyoming, I'm not on welfare, so no government agency paid for my breakfast. The government is financially supporting Wyoming residents my quite a bit of margin compared to New Jersey residents.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:47 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
I avoid taxes whenever I can. I already pay a lot more than the 14% our prospective 'leaders' pay. And I'm good with that, doesn't bother me at all. As a matter of fact, I know no one who reports their online purchases asking to pay the taxes. I'm poor and I need the money. I can waste it better than the government.

I'll still shop at Amazon. Some of their deals can't be beat. And e-bay, Overstock, etc. Someone talked about e-bay being a hassle. It's a hassle for the seller...the buyer still gets a great deal. CL still has deals but you have to be able to sort thru the junk!

Old 08-25-2012, 02:05 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I understand that Amazon isn't collecting taxes. But the OP states that his concern is that he will now be paying taxes on Amazon purchases. This implies that he is not paying sales taxes on Amazon purchases currently. That is evading taxes. Thus, according to the OP, he is evading taxes.
Not all states require you to pay taxes on online purchases out of state. Anyway, I've been evading them for quite sometime, as have most California residents. I don't really go out of my way to do it. Most of my electronics I get from Newegg which does collect CA sales tax since it's in CA. I don't, however, make a note of all the things I buy online where the merchant doesn't collect the sales tax. That's mostly laziness on my part, but tax evasion is tax evasion. I suspect most people living in states that require you to pay uncollected sales taxes are guilty of it.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:07 PM

2 posts, read 3,358 times
Wink incorrect

NJBest,

Sales tax is charged by the seller - everywhere - that's how it works.

The legal selling location as pertains to state sales tax when buying from Amazon is stated in their site. If you live in that state (or states) you must be charged sales tax. Some states may require tax for out of state purchases, but most do not.

If you are personally mailing in to your state's revenue department money for tax for things you buy mailorder from out of state, that's your choice. But that doesn't make those who don't tax evaders!

Old 09-24-2012, 03:18 PM

2 posts, read 3,358 times
By the way, back on topic. As far as I can tell, the nearest alternatives to Amazon (where you can buy EVERYTHING YOU NEED, no matter what type of product it is) is some big warehouse clubs, like Sams, Costco, or just big mass-merchandising online stores like Target, Wal-Mart, etc. If I wanted to buy from individual sellers for every individual type of thing I buy, I would not be using Amazon in the first place. As it is, Amazon has a far broader selection of specialty and hard-2-find items than anyone. In that respect, they are a monopoly. But I'm getting really tired of their search tool, it is more and more a frustrating waste of time. I was looking for a leather conditioner. I typed those two words in the search, and got half a million results! They were showing EVERY PRODUCT that contained either word. Other options weren't much better. Increasingly they throw more garbage at the shopper, instead of trying to provide what you are looking for.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:05 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,382,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachergloria View Post
If you are personally mailing in to your state's revenue department money for tax for things you buy mailorder from out of state, that's your choice. But that doesn't make those who don't tax evaders!
The tax referred to by NJBest is usually called a "use tax". It's similar to a "sales tax", but differs in that the buyer is responsible for it, not the seller.

This tax varies state-by-state, but generally covers things that no sales tax was applied to at the time of purchase.

In other words, if you bought on Amazon, and did not pay sales tax on that purchase, you are probably (again, this varies state-by-state) responsible for paying a "use tax" on that purchase equivalent to the sales tax you would have paid.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachergloria View Post
NJBest,

Sales tax is charged by the seller - everywhere - that's how it works.

The legal selling location as pertains to state sales tax when buying from Amazon is stated in their site. If you live in that state (or states) you must be charged sales tax. Some states may require tax for out of state purchases, but most do not.

Why not? Are taxes option all of a sudden? I'm sorry that you have to find out over the internet and were previously uneducated about your tax obligations, but by failing to pay taxes on out-of-state mail-order purchases, you are indeed a tax evader. See, taxes in the United States are not optional. They are mandatory on every level of government. It is not a matter of choice... rather a matter of obligation.

pcity explains this well.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:23 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
overstock.com

Old 09-24-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
overstock.com
Question for you: How quickly does Overstock ship (how many days do they take for it to leave their warehouse)? I'm going back and forth between ordering from there but want it by a certain date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living