Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 07:42 PM

858 posts, read 1,807,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastTense01 View Post
First it depends on the total amount of money each year you spend on Sam's/Costco's type merchandize. (if you a family vs single and upper middle class vs lower class...)

Second it depends on your whole shopping strategy. Do you shop multiple stores,being careful to buy on sale, clip coupons...? That kind of strategy can beat the everyday low bulk prices of the warehouse clubs.
Agree. If you use coupons, shop several stores and stockpile, you can get stuff cheaper than in the clubs.

We now have Sam's, have had Costco and BJ's in the past. I don't really shop there often. Usually once a month or less. Meat is good, sometimes buy clothes, like their bakery stuff (cupcakes for kids parties). Also have the problem of stuff getting in the cart and the bill is higher than I want... So, really you don't save because you spend on other stuff you didn't know you needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 08:38 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,901,182 times
Where Costco really shines for me is dairy. Sometimes I wonder if we shouldn't buy a cow because of how much we spend on dairy, but for right now, I can't get cheaper prices anywhere else on cheeses, cream, Greek yogurt, and milk. That alone pays for the fee.

I haven't found the meats to really be any cheaper or that much cheaper than any supermarket's sale. I love the Kirkland frozen chicken breasts and buy 2-4 pounds of fresh cod or rockfish a month. If it is a really good deal, maybe some pork loin or shoulder. The pickled herring is good and really cheap.

I buy 95% of my beer there and will probably buy most of my liquor there now that they sell it.

I generally don't buy any of the convenience frozen foods. Too expensive for most items. I stick to frozen fruits and veggies, bacon, chicken breasts and do my best to ignore the rest.

The produce is generally good. I usually buy peppers to freeze, mushrooms for the crockpot, apple slices, and onions.

I tend to avoid the non-grocery sections of the store unless there is an excellent deal on something I actually do need. Doesn't happen more than 2 or 3 times a year though. In the past two years, I have gotten a good rice cooker, memory foam mattress (online), and two food storage containers sets. I try to buy Mobil 1 whenever it goes on sale.

Gas is not usually any cheaper at Costco than I can get it wherever else and I don't have to wait in a ridiculously long line for it. Most supermarkets with gas stations have cheap gas plus loyalty discounts.

It is worth it to my family, no doubt about it. We rarely waste anything from Costco.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:17 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
you dont need a membership to get prescriptions at costco- it's illegal

That's true ... in SOME states.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:03 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,349,962 times
It really depends on what you are buying.

Some things are a great value.

Some things are a value if you compare the price to a grocery store's regular price.

Some things you can get on sale at a grocery store for much cheaper.

The biggest problems with wholesale clubs are 1.) Not finishing what you bought--which is the same as throwing money in the trash, 2.) when you buy something that is not really a good deal, not only have you lost money on the item, but it probably came in a package of 12 and you lost money on each of them, and 3.) you tend to buy things you don't need and considering the price of each item is probably around $10, these unnecessary items can quickly add up.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:23 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merjolie8 View Post
Agree. If you use coupons, shop several stores and stockpile, you can get stuff cheaper than in the clubs.
I think it depends on where you are -- out here Costco beats our Safeway hands down. I just bought an eight pack of canned tomatoes (organic) for 85 cents a can -- can't touch regular store brand on sale store brand for less than a buck -- more often the sale price is 1.25.

I just bought 2 pounds of pecans for 16 bucks. Sale price at Safeway -- 8.98 for 8 ounces.

Gasoline is 10-15 cents cheaper a gallon.

But to keep this all straight I need to start keeping a price book again...

As for couponing -- there's nothing in our circulars -- I hardly pull any coupons because it's all air fresheners and garbage food. When the Extreme Coupon show started they got better for a while, but I'd guess we aren't a coupony area, so we get nothing good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living